At Pro vs AT Gold

mark4583

I think im sold on the Garret AT, since its not a huge price diffrence how does the Gold stack up against the Pro for the money?
Whats the major advantage with the gold over the pro?
Thanks

The AT Pro is a 15 kHz detector that features full notch discrimination. The lower frequency plus the notch discrimination means that it can be used in salt water. It also allows for custom discrimination, such as tuning out coins to concentrate on likely jewelry targets. The AT Pro lacks a true threshold based all metal mode and so is less suitable for nugget detecting, although it can and will find gold nuggets.

The AT Gold runs at a hotter 18 kHz and has a true threshold based all metal mode. This makes it a better nugget detector than the AT Gold. However, it is too hot to run on wet salt sand or in salt water. It also has only a couple preset discrimination patterns and so lacks the custom discrimination ability the the AT Pro has.

For many people the less expensive AT Pro is possibly the better unit. If you do not know what a true threshold based all metal mode is nor do you care, then get the AT Pro. If having that extra edge when prospecting is very important, then go for the AT Gold but do understand there are a couple trades you are making for that ability.

I use then both. I prefer the At Pro.

I mostly coin shoot whith some jewlery,
No nuggets around this area that I know of.
So if theres no real advantage with the Gold the Pro would be a better choice then? Unless it would be better for gold jewlery?
thanks

The AT Pro is a 15 kHz detector that features full notch discrimination. The lower frequency plus the notch discrimination means that it can be used in salt water. It also allows for custom discrimination, such as tuning out coins to concentrate on likely jewelry targets. The AT Pro lacks a true threshold based all metal mode and so is less suitable for nugget detecting, although it can and will find gold nuggets.

The AT Gold runs at a hotter 18 kHz and has a true threshold based all metal mode. This makes it a better nugget detector than the AT Gold. However, it is too hot to run on wet salt sand or in salt water. It also has only a couple preset discrimination patterns and so lacks the custom discrimination ability the the AT Pro has.

For many people the less expensive AT Pro is possibly the better unit. If you do not know what a true threshold based all metal mode is nor do you care, then get the AT Pro. If having that extra edge when prospecting is very important, then go for the AT Gold but do understand there are a couple trades you are making for that ability.

This was a good post. For coins I prefer the Pro. Relic/gold/jewelry hunting I prefer the Gold. It has quite a bit better punch in all metal.

Holler with questions or a great deal!

Please credit authors

Lifted verbatim from a post I wrote in December 2011 except for the last line. Funny how people like to take credit for other peoples work. Of course this guy was always up front about being a schill.

Anyway funny story was I have used both the AT Pro and AT Gold in the past but currently do not have either one. I got to thinking about picking one up again and was doing a little Googling on the AT Pro vs AT Gold and I trip over the post above. And when I read it I thought, "wow, seems familiar"! And sure enough found it was same post I had made on another forum.

I am primarily a prospector so you would think it would be a no brainer for me - get the AT Gold. Truth be told I really like that little 5" x 8" DD coil. But I mainly want the unit kind of as a dumbed down jewelry machine for cherry picking, often while in the water. So I am leaning AT Pro for the simple fact I can notch out the high coin responses and did only foil to zinc penny targets. No notching on the AT Gold. So I think I have about talked myself into an AT Pro.

Like I need another detector!

I relic hunt with my AT Gold. It's got to be one of the most slept on detectors for that type of hunting!

The atgold is a great machine for all types in my opinion. I do very well with it in extreme trashy areas. As a matter of fact it picks coins out in the trash just fine. Watch the show diggers thats all they use is atgolds. They find lots of coins.

Hi all, this is my first post here!

I have yet to own a metal detector but have always been a fan of digging things up and hopefully finding treasures! I've been a big fan of "Diggers" on Nat Geo and noticed they use AT Gold detectors. I am now in the market for my first detector and I'm torn between the Pro and Gold. Some background and interests of me:

1. I would like to find coins, jewelry and relics.
2. I live in SE MN (areas with clay).
3. I'm a quick learner so I'm not too worried about the learning curve for one or the other.
4. Being I'm in MN I doubt I would ever go gold prospecting being there's not much around here for gold (other than gold coins or jewelry).

Based on the above criteria, what would you experienced users recommend I go with? I've read tons of reviews and posts on forums - mainly about the differences between the two - but I would really like to know how you all feel about one or the other based on your hands on experience!

We're still buried under an incredible amount of snow so I do have some time before I would purchase a detector but hope to do so within a few months.

Thanks in advance for any information/experience you can provide!

Jason

Hi all, this is my first post here!

I have yet to own a metal detector but have always been a fan of digging things up and hopefully finding treasures! I've been a big fan of "Diggers" on Nat Geo and noticed they use AT Gold detectors. I am now in the market for my first detector and I'm torn between the Pro and Gold. Some background and interests of me:

1. I would like to find coins, jewelry and relics.
2. I live in SE MN (areas with clay).
3. I'm a quick learner so I'm not too worried about the learning curve for one or the other.
4. Being I'm in MN I doubt I would ever go gold prospecting being there's not much around here for gold (other than gold coins or jewelry).

Based on the above criteria, what would you experienced users recommend I go with? I've read tons of reviews and posts on forums - mainly about the differences between the two - but I would really like to know how you all feel about one or the other based on your hands on experience!

We're still buried under an incredible amount of snow so I do have some time before I would purchase a detector but hope to do so within a few months.

Thanks in advance for any information/experience you can provide!

Jason

The 2 units are very similar but there are some differences. The Gold has a bit higher frequency, making it hit a bit harder, on brass and gold. The Gold has a true all metal setting and is said to be just a bit deeper, than the Pro. The Gold also comes with a great coil, the 5x8 DD. It's the one coil that no matter which unit you choose, you'll want to own! :yes:

Thanks for the feedback! So essentially the Gold will do everything the Pro does and more?

Thanks for the feedback! So essentially the Gold will do everything the Pro does and more?

No. It does not have as many discrimination settings as the AT Pro. They both have their pros and cons and are very similar units, but don't let anyone tell you the AT Gold is just a better version of the AT Pro. Do your research. There are many threads here on this forum that have already addressed this question. There are differences, but those differences may not have an impact on the style of hunting you do (what/where you hunt).

hi, i use the AT Pro now, sold my AT Gold and here is why. The ATG was great for all around hunting coins/relics/gold, but when i went to the beach the only place i could hunt was in the dry sand at least 6ft from the waters edged. Garrett said the machine was not made to hunt in the wet sand or salt water ( reason 1 ) also the ATG has no notch discrimination which to me is important hunting selected items (reason 2 ) the ATG loves aluminum or mine did but the ATP seems a little more soft for coin hunting.
( reason 3 ) i hunt more coins than anything else. The ATP has 6 search modes, 3 in standard and 3 in Pro where the ATG has only three, side buy side both machines i think are the best the ATG hits hard on smaller gold. also has a threshold and ground balance window for prospecting now this i miss if Garrett would put this on the ATP wow, i guess that's why where having this conversation ..lol Good luck you can't go wrong with either one.

A lot of the prefered differences seem to be subjective. Don't let anyone tell you the Pro is the same as the Gold. Yes, there are differences that led me to get the Gold over the Pro.

Curbdog, can you tell me the differences that led you to the Gold? I'm on the fence right now between the two. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Tapatalk

Curbdog, can you tell me the differences that led you to the Gold? I'm on the fence right now between the two. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Tapatalk

For me, I mainly relic hunt. Don't do a lot of coinshooting, but can if I want to.

I like the true all metal and the ground balance window adjustment. That way, I can get the max depth and it won't false over pockets of mineralization and holes. The fact that it came with the best IMO coil for the AT series was a bonus. The slightly higher Khz. (only 3) has sure netted me my first Civil War buttons!

Now there is one difference that I do respect in the 2 units. The Pro can hunt over wet, salty sand. If you plan on doing that, the Pro would be the way to go.

If you get the Pro, you will want the 5x8 coil. When you finish paying for those together, you could have just got the Gold. Many leave the 5x8 on for the majority of the time.

Do your research. There are many threads here on this forum that have already addressed this question. There are differences, but those differences may not have an impact on the style of hunting you do (what/where you hunt).

Thanks for the reply, and this is why I'm here, I've done plenty of research but based on where I live and what I'm looking for (as mentioned in my first post) I would like to know what you experienced hunters would recommend. Will the Pro work better than the Gold when clay is present or vice versa? I'm hearing the Gold will detect deeper than the Pro, is this true based on your experience?

The ATG was great for all around hunting coins/relics/gold, but when i went to the beach the only place i could hunt was in the dry sand at least 6ft from the waters edged. Garrett said the machine was not made to hunt in the wet sand or salt water

Now there is one difference that I do respect in the 2 units. The Pro can hunt over wet, salty sand. If you plan on doing that, the Pro would be the way to go.

What I gathered from Garrett's website is that the Gold cannot be used in salt water but can be used in shallow fresh water. I would only be dealing with fresh water in MN and I doubt I would be doing a whole lot with submerging the coil. Now, fresh water wet sand can be problematic with the Gold or only if it's wet with salt water? I could see myself going over wet sand at some point...again it would be fresh water though. Sorry that I'm getting picky with the details.

Thanks again for the responses!

Thanks for the reply, and this is why I'm here, I've done plenty of research but based on where I live and what I'm looking for (as mentioned in my first post) I would like to know what you experienced hunters would recommend. Will the Pro work better than the Gold when clay is present or vice versa? I'm hearing the Gold will detect deeper than the Pro, is this true based on your experience?

I've not operated the AT Gold as I did the same comparison when shopping and opted for the AT Pro due to the fact that I occasionally hunt salt water beaches as well as the fact that I'm primarily a coin hunter and saw the value of the AT Pros discrimination settings, but the added 5x8 coil can be used for nugget shooting if desired.
From what I know the AT Gold does detect deeper when using All Metal combined with the Threshold feature. You'll essentially be picking up any minuscule piece of metal there is without any discrimination. Primarily useful for detecting very small gold nuggets. However, I imagine it's not a fun feature to use in a trashy park. Since the AT Gold has limited discrimination capabilities, I imagine it might detect a little deeper in general as the rule of thumb is the less discrimination applied the deeper the detector can pick up signals. But again, that's what I've read. Can't speak from experience.

What I gathered from Garrett's website is that the Gold cannot be used in salt water but can be used in shallow fresh water. I would only be dealing with fresh water in MN and I doubt I would be doing a whole lot with submerging the coil. Now, fresh water wet sand can be problematic with the Gold or only if it's wet with salt water? I could see myself going over wet sand at some point...again it would be fresh water though. Sorry that I'm getting picky with the details.

Thanks again for the responses!

Certainly don't apologize. It's a common question and can be a big deal when you get down to the nuts and bolts. I too wanted to know what the differences were when I was looking to buy and got a lot of mixed opinions on what to buy (Gold or Pro), but typically without any explanation as to why. I'd love to try out the AT Gold one of these days to see if I could tell a difference, but don't know anyone who owns one. Maybe someday I'll meet someone who does.

Sure would be great if Garrett could add the True All Metal mode and threshold feature to the AT Pro, then I don't think I'd have any doubts about what to purchase. :D

Back
Top Bottom