Oct 6, 2018 ~ MTHA Open Hunt (Massachusetts)

jimther

Elite Member
The Massachusetts Treasure Hunting Association (MTHA) is hosting its annual John Govoni Memorial OPEN HUNT at Houghton's Pond in the Blue Hills Reservation in Milton, Massachusetts, near Boston [840 Hillside Road, Milton, Mass, Exit 3 off Route 128]

Date: October 6th, 2018. This is a Saturday event. You may sign up for the morning hunt, afternoon hunt or for both hunts. Go to this MTHA link for a HUNT REGISTRATION FORM that you can PRINT & MAIL: http://www.masstreasure.com/files/documents/mthareghunt_2018.pdf

RAIN or SHINE !

This is a "seeded" hunt on a fresh water beach and we have had participants from most New England states for several years. Last year, several Friendly Metal Detecting Forum members participated and from the feedback on this forum, had a great time and were looking forward to this year's event. FMDF member, detectordiver won a Garrett AT PRO. See this link to last year's announcement and forum member feedback on our hunt: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=249647

Cost: $70 for both hunts or $35 for the Morning OR Afternoon hunt (This is the EARLY registration price if your check and registration are received by September 21, 2018). Price for "walk-ons" on day of hunt is $45/hunt or $90 for both, so it pays to register early.

Prizes will include metal detectors, silver coins, planted clad coins, cash, gift certificates and metal detecting prizes. Also, RAFFLES to be held for cash, silver rounds, and equipment. Special Token Hunt (afternoon hunt) with Small Gold Coin as a prize. See our website as prizes are purchased and donated. Last years prize value was over $4000 Need more info? Call (781) 424-7472 or write to [email protected]

Some equipment reminders:
~No sand scoops* or belt-worn sieve baskets allowed; only digging trowel or knife and two-part "nail" apron
~All entrants are required to use HEADPHONES.
*sand scoop with handle allowed if you are disabled

We'll be raking the beach before AND after the hunt (help appreciated). It is normally off limits to detecting, being DCR parkland, so we have a SPECIAL USE PERMIT for that day only.

So charge up those batteries or bring extra Duracells and your lunch. NO Alcohol permitted on DCR Parklands.

Bring your Hunt Flyer for Schedule and directions: LOST on the DAY OF HUNT? CALL 781-424-7472 (This is Sandi, our HuntMaster)

Also, check this thread from time to time for updates as the prize list grows. I will post these as I receive them from Sandi, our HuntMaster.

P.S. I will be the guy who receives the Registrations and Hunt fees at our PO Box. Please include your email on the form so that I may acknowledge your entry. And if you do sign up, please PM me or reply to this thread so I can create a poster at the hunt site of FMDF member representation and can say hi that day. Thanks.

Good luck everyone !

Jim M. (jimther)
MTHA Librarian

Last edited:
Photos from LAST year's hunt

In case you are wondering what our hunts are like, below is a link to some photos from our MTHA 2017 - John Govoni Memorial Open Hunt

Best viewed on a computer or Tablet. Might be very small on a smartphone and text I've added will be too tiny to read.

Once there, click on the first photo to start a larger size, clickable slide show.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WIv4CGxJgXv2tfFv2

Jim

Last edited:
Well Jim, I regret to Inform you that ill be in Florida for my daughters bday October 4th-10th :roll: it will be fun, but I really enjoy that hunt every year, great people and awesome finds and prizes. Not to mention the pizza and sodas :cool: I will absolutely be there in 2019! Good luck to everyone in 2018!!!

Well Jim, I regret to Inform you that ill be in Florida for my daughters bday October 4th-10th :roll: it will be fun, but I really enjoy that hunt every year, great people and awesome finds and prizes. Not to mention the pizza and sodas :cool: I will absolutely be there in 2019! Good luck to everyone in 2018!!!

Sorry you can't make it this year Jeff. Have a great birthday vacation in Florida and the rest of us will clean up the beach of all the prize tokens for you. Thanks for letting me know.

Jim

This sounds like a blast. I’m going to try and make this happen

Thanks for the heads up Jim, The last 2 hunts have been a lot of fun! Count me in! I will register as soon as I know if my daughter will be joining me or not. Looking forward to seeing everyone again and hope to meet some new folks too.

Thanks for the heads up Jim, The last 2 hunts have been a lot of fun! Count me in! I will register as soon as I know if my daughter will be joining me or not. Looking forward to seeing everyone again and hope to meet some new folks too.

Thanks Ron... see you there... fingers crossed for good weather
Jim

MTHA Hunt: Prize & Raffle update

At our April meeting, club President, Scott announced that at our October 6th hunt, in addition to our usual raffles, we will be adding one for a 10 oz. Englehard Silver Bar.

Scott also announced that the John Govoni Hunt will include a special gold hunt. Special tokens will be in the ground during the regular hunt that will provide entry into a special “elite hunt” for the gold coin [the name of our annual hunt is the John Govoni Memorial Open Hunt. John was our former vice-president and also our hard-working HUNTMASTER for several years].

Stay tuned for further prize announcements as the October 6th hunt date approaches.

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks diggin4clad.

I'll acknowledge your registration and check when I see it in our PO Box. I will see you on October 6th.

Our Huntmaster just texted a few of the club officers with a photo of the large box of goodies for the hunt she just received from Garretts.

Jim

MTHA Prize List update - October 6th Hunt

Time is running short for the September 21st early registration deadline for a discount on hunt fees (versus full price on the day of the hunt).

See MTHA web site for details and Early Registration form. www.masstreasure.com

Below is a windows screenshot of a partial prize list from the web site.

So far, we have SEVEN detectors (Garrett, Minelab, & Tesoro) to be awarded as prizes, along with a lot of other cool detecting gear (pinpointers, diggers, etc.)

In both the morning and the afternoon hunts, there will be two tokens buried for $50 cash prizes.

In addition to the buried clad and silver and prize tokens, there will be special containers buried for "Instant Cash" on the beach.

Several raffles are planned, including FOUR Silver Dollar raffles, a 10 ounce SILVER BAR, Single-barrel and a Dual-barrel Lortone Tumblers and a Garrett Z-Link wireless TX/RX system. Hunters who have registered by the Sept 21st Early registration date are automatically entered in a special raffle for a $50 Gift Card.

When you fill out your registration form, please mention that you are a member of this forum (in any available blank space) so I can compile a list of forum members to meet up at the hunt.

See you there and GOOD LUCK !

Jim

MTHA Hunt Prize list.jpg

Confirmation of my entry has been sent to me looking forward to this hunt again this year. Always alot of fun and well done.

That's three FMDF members thus far, four including me, who will be at our MTHA Hunt in two weeks - Ron 71, diggin4clad and detectordiver

If any other members have sent in their early registrations which are postmarked by September 21st, I should see them in our P.O. Box soon.

Yesterday, the 21st was our deadline for early registration pricing.

Cellrdwellr: Hope you can make it next year

Jim

That's three FMDF members thus far, four including me, who will be at our MTHA Hunt in two weeks - Ron 71, diggin4clad and detectordiver

If any other members have sent in their early registrations which are postmarked by September 21st, I should see them in our P.O. Box soon.

Yesterday, the 21st was our deadline for early registration pricing.

Cellrdwellr: Hope you can make it next year

Jim

Thanks Jim, these hunts are the highlights of my year usually. It just so happens to also fall near my daughters birthday every year. I had a blast the last 2 years and was really looking forward to it. You can bet ill be there next year. Good luck to everyone!

Hunt Photo Album

Hi everyone,

Here's a photo of FMDF members that attended the MTHA hunt last Saturday, and a link to more photos from the hunt.
Jim

I've created an online photo album of some of the photos I took at our hunt last Saturday. The link to the album is at the end of this message. Best viewed on a computer screen versus a tiny mobile device screen.

1) You can manually browse through the photos by moving your mouse into the BLACK border to the right of each photo and clicking the white arrow to advance to the next photo. To back up, move your mouse over to the BLACK border at left of the photo and click the left arrow.

Or

2) To initiate a SLIDE SHOW that will advance on its own, move your mouse to the upper right corner of the screen, where you will see three dots, in a vertical stack. Left-click there and the drop-down menu will display several choices, the first of which is SLIDE SHOW. Each photo will display for about 5 seconds.

To exit out of the album or slide show, hit Esc key on your keyboard (upper left corner on top row of keys).

Jim

Previous link didn't work. The one below should work OK

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Cf3zDXe2xEPL4U3M8

Attachments

• IMG_0992-002.JPG
    IMG_0992-002.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 548
Last edited:
October 5th, 2019 Hunt announcement coming soon

As soon as our Huntmaster finalizes our 2019 Hunt Registration form, with prizes, registration prices, etc., I will post it in a new thread. I think that will happen shortly.

GL & HH

Jim

Back
Top Bottom