What the Excal missed

TheMaddMan

Elite Member
Last week a few days before Christmas, I'm just tooling along, minding my own business, swinging the Excal on the low water mark, looked down, and see the glint of GOLD. About 3" of chain sticking out of the wet sand. Pass the Excal over it, and nada. Zip. Glad I was paying attention for surface finds. 10K rope chain. It's gold, but, just my luck, light for it's size. I'm thinking it's hollow gold. Oh well, yellow is yellow. Keep on keeping on and HH.

picture.php

Congrats

On the 10 k chain, as swinging a detector for years, i tend to look at the ground, beach all the time, i have found a few coins that way, recently a dime in the path to the beach, fresh drop, good eye, happy hunting , Earl

Good eye. Glad you found it.

Were you in Disc or AM... or did you try both?

R5

Not many detectors will find a gold chain. Excal's and CZ's are not made for tiny gold.

Even heavy gold chains are not found without a pendant. Same with the CZ-20 and 21. I have found two chains by chance that were over 18 grams each that the machine never hit on. Live and learn.

:dingding: The vast majority of lost chains are probably out in the water. Nice catch!

On the 10 k chain, as swinging a detector for years, i tend to look at the ground, beach all the time, i have found a few coins that way, recently a dime in the path to the beach, fresh drop, good eye, happy hunting , Earl

Found coins like that before also. And my 1st cremation tag.

Good eye. Glad you found it.

Were you in Disc or AM... or did you try both?

R5
Thanks. I usually hunt in disc, but did try all metal and disc after I saw it. Nada from either.

Awesome find! I too tend to look at the ground when I detect, I usually just follow the coil with my eyes :laughing:

Thank you
Not many detectors will find a gold chain. Excal's and CZ's are not made for tiny gold.

Even heavy gold chains are not found without a pendant. Same with the CZ-20 and 21. I have found two chains by chance that were over 18 grams each that the machine never hit on. Live and learn.

I’ve only found 1 other gold chain, with a pin pointer. I’d like to say purposely,but strictly by accident when I kneeled to find another target. Silver chains will show with the AT Gold, got one waist deep in the water a few months ago.

:dingding: The vast majority of lost chains are probably out in the water. Nice catch!

Agreed. This one would have been in knee deep water had the tide not been down though. Makes me wonder how many we’re missing.

"Agreed. This one would have been in knee deep water had the tide not been down though. Makes me wonder how many we’re missing."

A LOT. I can think of 6 gold chains I have found while diving. Two because I was fanning for a coin and saw the end moving back and forth. Both of those were over 18 grams. Two because I was fanning for a target and saw a pile of gold in the hole. One when I came across a scoopers hole and saw the end sticking out of the side. The scooper got most of it and the pendant but I got about a 12" piece. Scoopers should know if they bring up part of a gold chain to dig out the hole! And one because it was just laying on top of the sand.

I have found three that my machine did pick up. One huge necklace and two large bracelets. I know for sure I have missed chains also.

Great Find! Chains!...the White Buffalo! ...a guy starts looking at the population that wears chains for research purposes...discovers that they are not that common...maybe one out of 100 people sport a gold chain and out of those 100, maybe 3 of them recreate outdoors for a potential loss....some of the little chains, no rig within reason would find, a fools errand to even try..the other 'big' ones would be dismissed as a 'junk signal'...yeah...lots of lost chains out there on every popular beach, and all have seen a coil or two overhead....

I've been watching the local chain wearers...trying to figure them out, a study to pattern hopefully...up here, a big gold chain wearer might only go to the beach once/yr. if that! One chance in 1000 they lose it there...so its hunting BB court sidelines, Wedding reception Hall parking lot smoking areas...I've got it narrowed down a bit...still, fools errand...junk signal or none at all....

YOu mean you were running in AUTO sensitivity......but was your disc set as low as it would go? That seems like one the Xcal should have gotten. Ive seen a lot smaller ones....... obviously depending on links, 10k metal combo, and hasp. I think thats what Kapi was seeing too.

What was your disc set at?

Maddman glad to see you still using the excel! Are you hunting fresh or salt? Are you going to do the pinpoint mod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't really thought much about it. I usually hunt in Disc, every now and then I'll dig a signal that nulls, but, the beach I hunt mostly has lots of BIG iron in it. And it is actually brackish. To make a long story short, the lake was once strictly freshwater. About 80 or so years ago, the natural water way running south was "straightened out" and a ship channel created to the Gulf of Mexico. This created a rather unique situation where the salinity of the water varies with tide/wind direction. A mile north are some salt water locks. I've talked to people I trust that swear they've seen sharks in it and I've personally seen alligators, most recently last April.

YOu mean you were running in AUTO sensitivity......but was your disc set as low as it would go? That seems like one the Xcal should have gotten. Ive seen a lot smaller ones....... obviously depending on links, 10k metal combo, and hasp. I think thats what Kapi was seeing too.

One would think so, but, it didn't. even as it lay on the surface. Out of curiosity, I'm going to try it with the AT Gold. I'll let ya know.

Great save!

Thank you

Great Find! Chains!...the White Buffalo! ...a guy starts looking at the population that wears chains for research purposes...discovers that they are not that common...maybe one out of 100 people sport a gold chain and out of those 100, maybe 3 of them recreate outdoors for a potential loss....some of the little chains, no rig within reason would find, a fools errand to even try..the other 'big' ones would be dismissed as a 'junk signal'...yeah...lots of lost chains out there on every popular beach, and all have seen a coil or two overhead....

I've been watching the local chain wearers...trying to figure them out, a study to pattern hopefully...up here, a big gold chain wearer might only go to the beach once/yr. if that! One chance in 1000 they lose it there...so its hunting BB court sidelines, Wedding reception Hall parking lot smoking areas...I've got it narrowed down a bit...still, fools errand...junk signal or none at all....

You're right, fool's errand. All the while trying to dodge those freshwater sharks.

How about your sensitivity?

Sorry ya'll, I was looking at this on my Iphone, way to small for me to see. Sensitivity was on auto, all settings at Minelab's beginners suggested settings, haven't started playing with all that yet.

Try the Xcal in PP on it as well if you would. Jason.....i thought that, but then what metal would it not pick up that large? Iron it would null, SS or copper would ring up......only one low enough not to sound off would be gold, but at 10K id think copper would be added. Check to see what your disc is...... every now and then mine will get moved.

Jason.....i thought that, but then what metal would it not pick up that large? Iron it would null, SS or copper would ring up......only one low enough not to sound off would be gold,

Yeah, I thought the same thing too but the color looks like a lot of the junk necklaces I have dug. It could just be that its not cleaned in the photo, just thought I throw it out there. Last bit of "925" I picked up turned out to be fake, and a "gold bracelet" with bangles looked perfect in the scoop but the next day began turning rusty

Back
Top Bottom