This one should push your buttons...

I had a feeling that button didn't do anything. Now I know for sure. Thanks for sharing.

It may be easy to generalize, but the elevator doors where I work won't close unless you press the "close door" button!

It may be easy to generalize, but the elevator doors where I work won't close unless you press the "close door" button!

The article says most of the buttons, not all.
Sometimes only a key from emergency workers will activate them.

Those crosswalk buttons, they all used to work too but over time many have been overridden by timers.
Too expensive to remove them and pushing buttons makes people feel empowered so they leave them alone.

Too expensive to remove them and pushing buttons makes people feel empowered so they leave them alone.

That's like me when my computer is slow... I hammer away on the <Enter> key as I wait. Makes me feel like I'm doing something useful to speed things up. :laughing::laughing:

I'm not saying for sure it works, but it seems to, when I come up as the first car to a red light I know can be slow in changing back to green I'll stop right after my front wheels are over the plate sensor that lets the system know someone is there, then I'll inch up and stop, inch up and stop, and it does seem to speed up the change. (I'm in a small town and there are some traffic lights you can sit at for a while even though there might not be any traffic going the other way, not being in a hurry, but why wait longer than you have to burning gas if there's nothing going the other way ?)

Maybe it doesn't really make the light change faster, but it seems to.

Usually when I walk into an elevator , if no one else is around , I'll walk in and push the button right away , and usually when I go to reach for it the second time , it starts to close about the time my finger gets to the button . So now , I've been schooled , and don't need to waste the energy reaching for the button .

Usually when I walk into an elevator , if no one else is around , I'll walk in and push the button right away , and usually when I go to reach for it the second time , it starts to close about the time my finger gets to the button . So now , I've been schooled , and don't need to waste the energy reaching for the button .

No...keep doing that.
If you are anything like me you could probably use the exercise.

We installed a selector switch on a machine that said (on/more on) if you look behind the switch no wires are attached and the switch really does nothing.

We installed a selector switch on a machine that said (on/more on) if you look behind the switch no wires are attached and the switch really does nothing.

In Texas, it's on/onner!:D

I seem to remember long ago where someone put what I think they called an "idiot switch" on the dashboard of a car (probably back in the 1960's) it was a simple toggle switch with a round indicator light next to it, when you flicked the switch all it did was turn on that indicator light, I imagine the owner could have had fun with naïve passengers pretending what it was for :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom