White's Coinmaster

Bobzant

My husband bought me one of these for my birthday last year. I'm still really having problems figuring it out. I've watched a lot of tutorials on it and I do what it says, but the indicator really confuses me. I have found some neat things but it seems like if it hits on a penny (zinc or copper) it's never a penny, always junk. And if I go ahead and dig "junk" it will be a coin or some strange unidentifiable hunk of !!!!. I've heard nothing bad about this detector. Am I just metaldetector handicapped?

It may not be all "learning curve". The Coinmaster has an 8 KHz operating frequency. It can be noisy or unstable at times depending upon where you are using it but especially around electrical stuff. I have a new GT being returned for warranty repair. The headphone jack works intermittently and the VDI is all over the place. I've owed 2 Prism III that were good little machines though. They just didn't get enough depth and were not good for trashy areas. Good luck!

Zinc pennies will read all over the place depending on the rate of deterioration. It might be best to discriminate them out and just dig the high tones.

Zinc pennies will read all over the place depending on the rate of deterioration. It might be best to discriminate them out and just dig the high tones.

Just remember that Indian head pennies read the same as zinc. Usually vdi runs in the +50's range.

Wow,....I have 1 that my 11yr old uses, he find's coin's around the 6-7in range,...heck I even tried it looking for cw relics and found bullet's around the 8in range in the 'hot soil' here in Va.I think for the $ you pay for this detector it rock's.:D

I had a Coinmaster last year, and the comment made here sort of hits the problem right on the head; There is no "high tone". There is only one tone. Except for a "buzz" noise it makes on I believe foil.

Coinmaster is a very basic detector, it was my first and I still use it for club hunts and do really well because at club hunts you dig everything and it's all very shallow.

Since you don't have anything to compare it to I'm going to lay out the difference between Coinmaster and a 0-99 metered machine.

There is only 1 trick, and it's the same trick with a lot of detectors but the Coinmaster screen is to simple to see the really good positive hits so it's harder for your mind to comprehend junk like on a 0-99 VDI meter. If it is jumping around at all, especially jumping onto something you think is good, then up to the 50 cent piece and all the way over to iron then it's junk.

On a 0-99 VDI meter detector you will see a solid coin hit be say, an 81. You go over and over the target and it may drift to like 82 occasionally. You would definitely dig that. If the target was junk on that detector you would know right away because it might say 81, but it will also be jumping to 13, 99, 45 and back to 81 etc. You know it's junk. You can't see that effect nearly as well on Coinmaster.

If you are dissatisfied with the Coinmaster don't give up, just understand it is very limited. You might be happier jumping into a better detector like a White's MXT, AT Pro, Minelab X-Terra 705. Or maybe just trading it in for a $199 Fisher F2 with a meter so you can see the other type of display.

Ive had this machine for almost a month now and im still having that same problem. I am getting more and more used to it, but the simplicity in it seems to make it harder in determining if you should dig something or not. Whenever it says coin, its trash, and when it says it trash, i dig it to have an excuse to kick and scream when i see a hunk of twisted can, but am surprised to see a silver.

i have the coinmaster pro works great ive found 9 silver coins so far this year and all kinds of clad and a sterling ring ya might want to check into getting a pro they have 3 tones

we have the pro it works really well it hasn't found any silver yet but I got it for my daughter to use and so I'd have a backup in case anything happened to mine. I would like to use it my self and see in a couple good spots if I can find silver with it. but as stated above it does have 3 tones and it also has a couple other features that the regular coinmaster doesn't have. good luck and HH.

Back
Top Bottom