California gold coin update

They really had no choice but to turn them in and get it over with. If they take a coin in to sale it sooner or later it will raise questions on where they came from. The store owner has to document his sales and purchases for tax reasons. I think they did the right thing on turning them in cause it could of caused a bunch more problems in the future, now if they find some again i bet they only turn a couple in I know I've learned from this story.

I cant say what I would do until I was in that situation but say you were tryin to sell em to someone and you were tryin to do it on the "black market" or thru the broker or whatever...wouldnt they want a HUGE cut of it too? I mean wouldnt they know theirs a reason you were tryin to sell em secretly?

Also what would happen if you got caught? If maybe someone you sold it to showed it off and people started asking questions ...would they come arrest you for knowingly selling someone elses(the governments) property?

John said it best...................

john.jpg

I'm skeptical that anyone can prove these coins are the ones stolen from the mint. Coins don't have serial numbers on them. Even the one super rare coin mentioned in the article doesn't prove they are stolen property, unless someone can prove that it was a one-of-a-kind coin. Even in the case of the 1913 V nickel, there were five made. That being said, it *was* kind of foolish to publicize the find. At least, they should have "found them" over a period of twenty years or so. Send a couple in to PCG every few weeks, get them slabbed, take to coin dealer or sell on Ebay.

I found this also as an update to the story:

"Also note that one of the coins found in the hoard was an ultra-rare 1866 Liberty $20 gold piece missing the phrase “In God We Trust” — a coin which was never released to the public and which must have been produced and kept within the mint itself."

But if the theft occurred in 1899, and was carried out by a staffer stealing from coins as they were minted, how did that 1866 Lib get in there? And why were there some coins from mints other than the San Francisco mint? The feds will have to prove it, you'd think . . . but then, this the the federal government we're talking about. If they want it, they'll just take it.

I found this also as an update to the story:

"Also note that one of the coins found in the hoard was an ultra-rare 1866 Liberty $20 gold piece missing the phrase “In God We Trust” — a coin which was never released to the public and which must have been produced and kept within the mint itself."

But if the theft occurred in 1899, and was carried out by a staffer stealing from coins as they were minted, how did that 1866 Lib get in there? And why were there some coins from mints other than the San Francisco mint? The feds will have to prove it, you'd think . .

. but then, this the the federal government we're talking about. If they want it, they'll just take it.

:dingding:

Unfortunately, this doesn't look like Kansas anymore.

Our gov't is crooked as the ditch that runs through my (their) land! Did I read that right? They not only have to pay taxes on it but will also have to return it?

As I tell everyone. Find a gold coin and its yours. Find a stash ANYWHERE and tell one person, ANY person and good luck in keeping a dime of it.

Too many lawyers and the government is eager to take your fortune away.

Back
Top Bottom