Well I finally got out a little

Rcowens1966

I made it out to hunt a little around my place. Just ty get familiar with the Garrett 400, my result was a rusty nail...
Lol, I did not expect much from just being around my place.

But, suggestions as to where to start looking would be great as I am really very new to this hobby, thanks in advance...

You might try old public schools, vacant lots, curb strips in the old parts of your town or wooded areas like Nuggetnoggin. Just to name a few. I'm sure other folks will chime in with some ideas, good luck & take pics for us to see.

Public parks, beaches, lake areas, and old farms if any of these places are applicable in your area of course. Check local laws and get permission if necessary!

Ask around your neighborhood/town. Always get permission though before hunting someone else's property. Put some feelers out there.

I can relate about digging junk from your own yard :lol:

Others have given very good ideas, another idea is if you have any relatives or friends that live on older property you could ask them for permission, just be VERY careful to dig in a way where it looks like you never dug, especially if they have a well manicured lawn, you don't want them to look like :shock: after you are done :lol:

Also, dont get discouraged on your own property. You never know whats in the ground. I hunted a public field for easily over 50 hours with zero coins to show, and one day an 1779 2 reale popped out. My point is, keep trying, and good luck!

As far as Permissions go you might also look into LOCAL Facebook groups for your community. Check into it for a month or so and respond to posts just like here.. build up a little trust as a normal neighbor and then put out something like you are into metal detecting and you never know .. it might open some doors with your neighbors.

My only find in my yard was a wing nut. I would recommend checking out local parks, beaches, totlots. That’s where my best finds are.

It's a start đź‘Ť Think also of family members in your area with older homes .
Slow down under old wash lines and always around the driveways. Under older trees are also good areas for yards .

Under and around playground equipment is also a good start . Sledding hills or spectator hillsides for events .

Consesson stands that sell can't or drinks at soccer or ball fields are a good start also for target practice.
Looking forward to the next report.
,Dew

I started in my own yard. Dug over 4 bucks in clad. Of course I raised two boys who lost those coins. Had to visit your area (Fort Jackson) yesterday but did not have time to do any detecting.

Back
Top Bottom