UPDATE 2: Wow! Awesome Find / Help ID Please

Azmodeus

Diggin In Illinois
Forum Supporter
I was going to put these in the "eye popping" section but wasn't sure these would be so eye popping to others here or if they have any collector value at all. But they are amazing to me just in historical value. I'm not positive but I'm assuming these are bridle rosettes correct? They are also about 3/4ozt each in solid silver. A friend and I were searching an old house spot very deep in the woods that I found on an old plat. I'm not a huge war buff so I was hoping some of you that frequent the war relics sections could help me figure out some of this info on here. Don't laugh, but I dug the dated 1918 side first and thought it read Chateu Cherry 1918 so I was telling my buddy Lee wow, this Chateu Cherry must have been some famous race horse to have solid silver rosettes! :lol: 20 mins later and over 100ft away I got a similar super high 33 on the Nox and woah, out popped another one. The second one clued me into this was not a race horse...:laughing: The inscription on this one is what I could use some help with. From what I can gather it says this guy "Roy Modglin" was C/O (commanding officer?) of Sig. C, which im not sure what that means. Co. "L1" 52nd Tel. Bn. I'm not sure what Tel. means but I think the Bn would be batallion. So when we got back to the truck and cleaned the dirt off I noticed the first one said "Chateu Thierry", not Cherry. :lol: A quick Google search and I was like, holy cow! Turns out Chateu Thierry was some well known battle fought in France during WW1 and this guy was apparently there. If any war buffs here can fill in any info on what Sig. C or Tel. means I'd appreciate it and I'm also curious if these would be valuable to war collectors.

UPDATE!: These things give up more secrets
My father came by today and was fascinated with these. He musta looked at them for an hour. I noticed the other day on the back there are tiny little lines going all the way around and assumed it was impressions from whatever these were squeezed into. But my father said no, I bet anything these are smashed reticles that go around a silver dollar. Then it dawned on me he could be right, guys did do things like that during war time with silver coins. But I said yeah you may be correct but no way to ever tell really. 10 minutes later we were still examining them when we noticed most edges of the rosettes or whatever these may be are hammered thin but there's one edge that was left thick and there's lettering on it! I can distinctly make out an L and an A I'm pretty sure. Possibly the word "DOLLAR". Crazy thing is I'm pretty sure they stopped using lettered edges on silver dollars back in the 1830's right? Weighs in just a few grams light of what a silver dollar is which may be expected if he carved on it. Pretty crazy. I'm sure I'll never know what the silver dollars were but it just added more cool factor they these were beaten from old coins. Attaching some new photos of the lettering.

UPDATE 2:
Had custom mats cut for them along with Roy's pictures. The wife and I assembled it ourselves since she had the idea to put risers inbetween the mats and make it look more dimensional. Came out even better than I had hoped. New pics added below of the final result. Couldn't hardly get a very good photo with all the reflection going on with the glass, it looks better in person.

Attachments

• Rosette0.jpg
    Rosette0.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,495
  • Rosette2.jpg
    Rosette2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,450
  • Rosette1.jpg
    Rosette1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,446
  • reticles.jpg
    reticles.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,222
  • reed4.jpg
    reed4.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,214
  • reed3.jpg
    reed3.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,238
  • framed0.jpg
    framed0.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 944
  • framed2.jpg
    framed2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 959
  • framed1.jpg
    framed1.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 967
Last edited:
Found a Roy Modglin born in Illinois in 1893, looks like there may be a WW1 registration card linked to his name too! These are awesome!! Great find!

Found a Roy Modglin born in Illinois in 1893, looks like there may be a WW1 registration card linked to his name too! These are awesome!! Great find!

Yep, that's probably it. Did you have a link to the registration card or is it on Ancestry and locked? I've been trying to do some Googling for hours and found some info on him but most of it is all on Ancestry and not viewable without paying for a monthly subscription. It looks like there was a few Roy Modglins around Illinois, the one we're looking for is from Pope County, IL but he may have moved a few hours north to mid-Illinois later in life. I did manage to find a pic of him in France during that battle though which makes it even more awesome! Just hope someone comes along that can tell me what the Sig. C and Tel stands for on the rosettes.

Attachments

• Roy1.jpg
    Roy1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,414
Yep, that's probably it. Did you have a link to the registration card or is it on Ancestry and locked? I've been trying to do some Googling for hours and found some info on him but most of it is all on Ancestry and not viewable without paying for a monthly subscription. It looks like there was a few Roy Modglins around Illinois, the one we're looking for is from Pope County, IL but he may have moved a few hours north to mid-Illinois later in life. I did manage to find a pic of him in France during that battle though which makes it even more awesome! Just hope someone comes along that can tell me what the Sig. C and Tel stands for on the rosettes.

Very cool find. Try https://www.familysearch.org it's free and has a lot of the same info ancestry charges you for.

I'd put money on Sig C meaning Signal Corps

Very cool find. Try https://www.familysearch.org it's free and has a lot of the same info ancestry charges you for.

I'd put money on Sig C meaning Signal Corps

Yessir, you nailed it! Just found this clipping with the other image I found earlier attached. Corporal Roy Modglin, Signal Corps. And I believe the rest is Company L1. 52nd Telegraph Battalion

Although I'm not sure why it lists 220 Branch Ave in Red Bank instead of Illinois, maybe he deployed from there or stayed there for a bit.

So freaking awesome! Now I just wonder if he did something special to have solid silver rosettes on his horse or what. Assuming they are rosettes. I don't see what else they'd be.

Attachments

• Roy10.jpg
    Roy10.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,436
Yessir, you nailed it! Just found this clipping with the other image I found earlier attached. Corporal Roy Modglin, Signal Corps. And I believe the rest is Company L1. 52nd Telegraph Battalion

Although I'm not sure why it lists 220 Branch Ave in Red Bank instead of Illinois, maybe he deployed from there or stayed there for a bit.

So freaking awesome! Now I just wonder if he did something special to have solid silver rosettes on his horse or what. Assuming they are rosettes. I don't see what else they'd be.

Census records for Roy L Modglin may tell you why Red Bank or have a connection on https://www.familysearch.org/

Awesome find! Congrats!! It's not Chateau Cherry It's Chateau Thierry I could be off but I think it's pronounced ( tea ah ree ) It's in France. Again Big Congrats!! ......Ooops I just re read op and you already knew that. A while back I read something about American soldiers being gassed at Chateau Thierry, pretty amazing find!

Great finds and thread digging out the history.

Yea, guessing horse rosettes and amazing they are silver.
Can you post picture of their other side?

that is simply amazing great job finding info on the guy now you have a face to the name congrats bro :D:D

Back
Top Bottom