Magnet Fishing

having a good clean magnet face will elevate its efficiency by a good percentage. Those pesky "hot rocks" are a big pain and they can cause finds from getting a good connection to the magnet face.

Thanks for the Reply...

having a good clean magnet face will elevate its efficiency by a good percentage. Those pesky "hot rocks" are a big pain and they can cause finds from getting a good connection to the magnet face.

Great tip, thanks. :D

I have a question, what knot do you recommend for tying the rope to the magnet? :?:

Consider storing your magnet in something other than a plastic bag, I use the box It came in lined with 1/8th IN. thick foam. This is so it doesn't "stick" hard to things you don't want it stuck to. (Ie: your car/truck) I also cut the top 1/3 off of a gatorade bottle, ran my rope through the neck of the bottle and tied on a carbiner. Makes it easy to separate the rope and magnet, and the cut off bottle makes for a funnel shaped guard to help keep from getting snagged on underwater branches.

Try and hit all the local boat docks, launches and fishing piers. Good luck!

Thanks for the Replies...

I use a bolin, and good quality electrical tape on the tail end taping it back along the main line. You can google magnet fishing knots and they also have a couple special ones that some use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU09sBmZXn4

Thanks, I will probably go with the one on the video you posted. :D

Consider storing your magnet in something other than a plastic bag, I use the box It came in lined with 1/8th IN. thick foam. This is so it doesn't "stick" hard to things you don't want it stuck to. (Ie: your car/truck) I also cut the top 1/3 off of a gatorade bottle, ran my rope through the neck of the bottle and tied on a carbiner. Makes it easy to separate the rope and magnet, and the cut off bottle makes for a funnel shaped guard to help keep from getting snagged on underwater branches.

Try and hit all the local boat docks, launches and fishing piers. Good luck!

Thanks, great tips! :hi5:

How Come we never see any pictures from Magnet Fishing finds?

come on what you Got?

I have been wondering that myself... :fishin:

How Come we never see any pictures from Magnet Fishing finds?

come on what you Got?

Reminded me of this :laughing::laughing::laughing: (you fish for fish, right ? :lol:)

kenmudfishingboat1.jpg

Thanks for the Reply...

My paracord came a couple weeks ago and my magnet just came today! :woot: I decided on tying the paracord to the magnet with the double-palomar knot.

I'm really excited and can't wait to get out! Thanks everyone for all your help. :D I know it's recommended to store your magnet onto a large piece of metal so it keeps magnetic the longest. What do you recommend I store it on?

P.S. I also made a social group for us to hang out in: Magnet Fishing. :D
I have found a shovel,pry bar,rusty knives. You just never know what you will pull up.

Thanks for sharing. :D

Last edited:
I took a small piece of vinyl siding and duct taped a large washer on the back and I use that to cover my magnets

I have not heard anything about storage. I started reading your post and thought I was going to learn something new ,then realized you were asking me.
you may want a bigger rope for your magnet,it needs to be stronger than the magnets pull.

I'm a Hydraulic Press repairman....small business and on my own..damn good at what I do.......so one day this one guy calls me up.....He has an operation down south of Orlando making super strong rare earth magnets....theres something wrong with his press...He is desperate and coughs up the tribute...

So I make the drive and In I go..great big 4 post press, built in the fussing 40's...heated platens and molds..completely bastarded over the years...squirting in some sort of liquid clayish amalgam, great big copper coils on the platens....damndest frankenstein monster you have ever seen! Damn thing went up and down though, so thats all we need for starters......

So there I am....I tell the guy,'Run us through the cycle'....the guy closes the Platens, injects the iron mud slurry, throws the switch to electrofy the coils and heaters... and I will swear! Every red blood platelet iron particle boiled right out of my skin and got sucked into this monstrousity! Keys! belt buckle! Zipper! Even my glasses went flying!

I'm like, "WTH!!! Butters!?"...The damn guy had a hell of a deal going on..making super strong magnets with some sort of clay and heat and pressure...damndest thing!...

Well..of course I fixed his rig...it was bleeding off tonnage before the timeout/temp/cure cycle...little tiny 10c thing in a relief counterbalance valve seat, but thats why we get paid the big money!...it aint the hammer or the part...its knowing where to hit it and how hard..then do the billing...Helluva a long haul drive though!..I Pulled off and chilled in the High Springs NW of Gainesville...I pulled a lot of clad on the way home hopping off the Interstate and ransacking totters...It was a win for Old Mud...

But I was like damn..'magnets are really something'...I do not care to dink around with super magnets in any official or leisure capacity...made my teeth hurt...not to mention the blood platelets...it was like damn...

……...now THAT'S a magnet ! :shock: :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Too bad most coins don't have any attraction to magnets or you might be able to pull the coins out of the ground without digging with that magnet ! :laughing:

Keep us posted on how it turns out. I have been thinking about trying magnet fishing but so far I haven't done it. It sounds like it would be fun and interesting.

Thanks for the Replies...

I took a small piece of vinyl siding and duct taped a large washer on the back and I use that to cover my magnets

I decided to do similar, I superglued & duct-taped a large washer to square piece of vinyl decking. :D Works great, thanks for the idea. :D

I have not heard anything about storage. I started reading your post and thought I was going to learn something new ,then realized you were asking me.
you may want a bigger rope for your magnet,it needs to be stronger than the magnets pull.

Thanks, it is 550 pounds, so 400 pounds more then the magnet. I guess if it breaks I'd probably upgrade. :D

I'm a Hydraulic Press repairman....small business and on my own..**** good at what I do.......so one day this one guy calls me up.....He has an operation down south of Orlando making super strong rare earth magnets....theres something wrong with his press...He is desperate and coughs up the tribute...

So I make the drive and In I go..great big 4 post press, built in the fussing 40's...heated platens and molds..completely bastarded over the years...squirting in some sort of liquid clayish amalgam, great big copper coils on the platens....**** frankenstein monster you have ever seen! **** thing went up and down though, so thats all we need for starters......

So there I am....I tell the guy,'Run us through the cycle'....the guy closes the Platens, injects the iron mud slurry, throws the switch to electrofy the coils and heaters... and I will swear! Every red blood platelet iron particle boiled right out of my skin and got sucked into this monstrousity! Keys! belt buckle! Zipper! Even my glasses went flying!

I'm like, "**** Butters!?"...The **** guy had a **** of a deal going on..making super strong magnets with some sort of clay and heat and pressure...**** thing!...

Well..of course I fixed his rig...it was bleeding off tonnage before the timeout/temp/cure cycle...little tiny 10c thing in a relief counterbalance valve seat, but thats why we get paid the big money!...it aint the hammer or the part...its knowing where to hit it and how hard..then do the billing...**** a long haul drive though!..I Pulled off and chilled in the High Springs NW of Gainesville...I pulled a lot of clad on the way home hopping off the Interstate and ransacking totters...It was a win for Old Mud...

But I was like ****..'magnets are really something'...I do not care to dink around with super magnets in any official or leisure capacity...made my teeth hurt...not to mention the blood platelets...it was like ****...

Very interesting story, Mud. ;) Thanks for sharing. :yes:

……...now THAT'S a magnet ! :shock: :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Too bad most coins don't have any attraction to magnets or you might be able to pull the coins out of the ground without digging with that magnet ! :laughing:

I know right? We should start a petition to the US Mint to make our coins like Canada and be magnetic. :laughing: Although, then they'd be worth even less. :roll:

Keep us posted on how it turns out. I have been thinking about trying magnet fishing but so far I haven't done it. It sounds like it would be fun and interesting.

I will. :D I'm going to go today off of a highway bridge about 50 yards from my street. :fishin: Hopefully I'll find something good. :D

I will. :D I'm going to go today off of a highway bridge about 50 yards from my street. :fishin: Hopefully I'll find something good. :D

When my brother-in-law was on the Police Department, he said they were chasing some burgulary suspects and when they went across a bridge over a river, they threw the jewelry they had stolen over into the water. I don't know if it was in anything that a magnet would pick up but like metal detecting, you never know what you might find.

Thanks for the Reply...

When my brother-in-law was on the Police Department, he said they were chasing some burgulary suspects and when they went across a bridge over a river, they threw the jewelry they had stolen over into the water. I don't know if it was in anything that a magnet would pick up but like metal detecting, you never know what you might find.

That's interesting! :grin:

Well, my results for my first trip aren't very cool: around 30 "Hot rocks", 2 nails, 1 piece of rebar, 1 bolt, & 1 screw. But it doesn't look like it has had much activity. Soon (hopefully this weekend) I'm going to be going to a nearby lake that is always busy. There is a dock and 2 peninsulas that stick into the lake. Hopefully it will be better there. :fishin:

Last edited:
Good luck Wolfie!
Somewhere on this forum is a guy from Ireland or Scotland who magnet fishes.
he has the most amnazing accent too:yes:

Back
Top Bottom