• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Ok - lets talk manufacturing process / Bottle Type

yacorie

Elite Member
Ok so I'm new to this and I love that the bottle posts have been active lately.

I was thinking it would be nice to have a thread where we can either 1) share pictures of bottles that we have with different techniques or ask opinions on ones we have.

I will admit that I'm still confused by some of the different molding etc. This was especially apparent today when I was finishing going through the bottles I just purchased and realized that bottles I was going to put in the junk boxes for selling were actually older/different than I thought. Now I realize, I probably have to scan through all of the boxes I already put aside.

Here are 3 bottles that I purchased as part of the recent lot. Trying to confirm manufacturing and approximate date range. I was looking online to try and help.

1. what type of manufacturing is this? The bottle is the one on the right (black glass I think) and the bottom has what appears to be a small nipple on it.

2. This bottle appears to have a pontil mark - and no seams so I'm guessing it truely is a blown bottle

3. I thought this was just an applied top but then turned it over and saw the open pontil mark. So I'm guessing this is a 2-seam mold bottle?

4. Is this a round mold? It is definitely not uniform as you can see on the bottom but is obviously round and pushed up some.

Attachments

• IMG_0942.jpg
    IMG_0942.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0943.jpg
    IMG_0943.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0952.jpg
    IMG_0952.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0953.jpg
    IMG_0953.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0954.jpg
    IMG_0954.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0957.jpg
    IMG_0957.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0956.jpg
    IMG_0956.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0955.jpg
    IMG_0955.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 210
The best advice on learning about the different types of bottles and bottle construction is to read as many books, websites and talk to other collectors as you can. It's not something learned in a very short time, but over a period of years. And one never learns it all.

See if this helps with pontils and base identification - lots of good info here:

https://sha.org/bottle/bases.htm

The best advice on learning about the different types of bottles and bottle construction is to read as many books, websites and talk to other collectors as you can. It's not something learned in a very short time, but over a period of years. And one never learns it all.

See if this helps with pontils and base identification - lots of good info here:

https://sha.org/bottle/bases.htm

That is definitely a great website and that is where I was looking to try and differentiate some of the various techniques.

The one I was actually trying to find was the one with that little nipped bump on the base.

The others I discovered just by chance when I started looking at the bottoms as I was reading the website.

I agree that it will take me years to learn even a fraction of what I'd like to - just trying to crash course some of it given my attempt to clean out what I have atm.

I remember as a kid (still only 29 but like 10 years ago :laughing:) having so many bottles in my apartment it was like I brought the whole dump home! Over time I've learned what is valuable, rare, and collectable. I now only own maybe 30 bottles. They are really cool, and wish I had kept alot of what I had sold, but unfortunately, I just don't have the room for so many bottles, and probably 80% were worthless but I thought they looked cool :grin: so I kept my favorites in the end, and I havent dug a bottle from the ground since 2012 probably. I miss it ALOT! The detector stole my passion. Here's one of my favorite inkwells I dug on a riverbank. IMG_20150123_125231.jpg

IMG_20150123_125226.jpg

IMG_20150123_125220.jpg
Keep up the good work, love seeing your finds! Wish I knew more on the actual manufacturing of the bottles at that time.

I remember as a kid (still only 29 but like 10 years ago :laughing:) having so many bottles in my apartment it was like I brought the whole dump home! Over time I've learned what is valuable, rare, and collectable. I now only own maybe 30 bottles. They are really cool, and wish I had kept alot of what I had sold, but unfortunately, I just don't have the room for so many bottles, and probably 80% were worthless but I thought they looked cool :grin: so I kept my favorites in the end, and I havent dug a bottle from the ground since 2012 probably. I miss it ALOT! The detector stole my passion. Here's one of my favorite inkwells I dug on a riverbank. View attachment 433486

View attachment 433487

View attachment 433488
Keep up the good work, love seeing your finds! Wish I knew more on the actual manufacturing of the bottles at that time.

Thats a great ink well bottle. I love the look of those, that one included.

you should get back into digging some bottles. For me at least, it seems to be more rewarding because I seem to suck pretty bad at detecting haha.

The one I was actually trying to find was the one with that little nipped bump on the base.

The dimple on the dark bottle (pic 2) is not a pontil mark.

Pics 3 & 5 ARE Pontil marks.

Pic 7 looks like what is known as an IRON pontil, but the iron residue is gone. When cleaning bottles with iron pontils, you always want to preserve the iron stain on the bottom. That is the proof that it is IP.

The dimple on the dark bottle (pic 2) is not a pontil mark.

Pics 3 & 5 ARE Pontil marks.

Pic 7 looks like what is known as an IRON pontil, but the iron residue is gone. When cleaning bottles with iron pontils, you always want to preserve the iron stain on the bottom. That is the proof that it is IP.

Thats interesting - I wouldn't have thought the last bottle was.

Do you have any idea what method would have been used to created the bottle with the dimple? Thats the one that I can't seem to figure out the most.

Back
Top Bottom