Brass receptacle and a tooth-like object

coalminer

I found both of these in the yard of the house where I grew up. I welcome any ideas as to what the heck they are... The brass receptacle thing looks like it could perhaps be a flattened lipstick case. The toothy object looks like ceramic or some other stoney material with embedded metal.

Attachments

• flattened_brass_receptacle.jpg
    flattened_brass_receptacle.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 483
  • tooth.jpg
    tooth.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 464
I assume you found the tooth with the metal detector? if not it looks similar to a native American drill point except it doesn't have flame marks and the base looks thicker than most I've found. So basically I'm no help, sorry

Model t valve stem cover and could be a piece of hood ornament of cast aluminum or pot metal. Just guessing on the second one.

The 'tooth' looks like the 'foot' of an old cast iron stove burner ring (what you set the pans on).

Yes, I think the "tooth" could be stove-related. It's sort of a whitish/gray color and appears to be cast.

Thanks all for identifying the model T valve stem cover. One less mystery to ponder...

Item 2

Item 2 looks to be cock. From a horse snow shoe they are taperd and are driven into corresponding holes in the shoes

Item 2 looks to be cock. From a horse snow shoe they are taperd and are driven into corresponding holes in the shoes
I see the similarity, but I don't think so.
That style of ice cleats used in horse shoes were typically not driven in, they were screwed in. The reason that ice cleats were screwed in is because that way they could be unscrewed and re-sharpened or replaced (by anyone) without removing the shoe from the horse's foot.

Drive caulks (also called jar caulks) are a different shape, and serve an entirely different purpose. They are also brazed in after being driven in to keep them secure.

Drive studs that we used to commonly apply for traction on ice and snow are round, don't have as much taper to the shank, and they are peened in place on the solar surface of the shoe.

Back
Top Bottom