Dang It!!!

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
I hate when this happens!! I gotta stop torturing myself by looking at the dates on my clad :lol:

Dangit.jpg

I was hunting a pretty trashy park that I've hunted many times before, and came across a sure-fire dime signal at the right depth to match previous silver finds at the park. The dime dropped right out of the bottom of a 5" plug, and I was instantly disappointed to see that it was obviously just clad. Out of curiosity, I cleaned off just enough to read the date when I got home. Somehow I knew it would be 1965 before I even saw it....:roll:

More importantly, my Rosie slump continues - I haven't found a silver Roosevelt dime in almost a year! I only dug two of them all last year, both in May. And it's not for lack of trying - I certainly did plenty of hunting in places where I would expect Rosies to live.

The really bizarre part is I actually dug more of every other type of dime last year - in 2018 I dug 7 Mercs, 4 Barbers, and 3 Seateds. In fact, since I started in 2017 I have more Mercs than Rosies - and I have as many total Barbers as Rosies. Now, I'm admittedly far from a prolific silver coin hunter, but it still seems odd that I find so few Rosies.

What do you think? Just my area, or do other folks find the same ratios?

I would say just the area, if there are Mercs then the rosys must be hiding, just a little better. It might be a case of maybe the area was more active in the 40's than the 60's?

This is the breakdown of my first 100 silver coins. I dig a lot of Rosies comparative to the others. Although I've dug more Mercs than Rosie's so far this year.

1 Seated Liberty Dime
1 Standing Liberty Quarter
2 Walker Halves
2 Franklin Halves
4 Barber Quarters
6 Barber Dimes
12 War Nickels
14 Silver GWs
21 Merc Dimes
37 Silver Rosie's

I've been detecting since 1983 and my Mercury dimes outnumber my silver Roosevelts. Mercuries were minted longer than silver Roosevelts but circulated WITH the silver Roosevelts so that may explain the difference in totals.

I've been detecting since 1983 and my Mercury dimes outnumber my silver Roosevelts. Mercuries were minted longer than silver Roosevelts but circulated WITH the silver Roosevelts so that may explain the difference in totals.

Rosies were the last silver dime drops, so not as deep, and the first to be found?

Excellent points, guys! Merc dimes were produced for 30 years (1916-1945), while silver Rosies only had a 19 year run (1946-1964). And the Mercs continued in circulation long after '45, maybe right up to 1964 - when all silver coins started getting hoarded and disappeared from circulation like dinosaurs after the impact. So Mercs had almost a half century worth of time to get dropped, while Rosies still only had roughly 20 years. And I bet amc_rulz is on to something - the Rosies were easier earlier finds, too, due to less depth. Put all that together and I guess Rosies can be surprisingly rare after all!

Still, I'm determined to bag a Rosie before I hit a full year without one...just seems like a crazy long streak for the decent amount of hunting I do!

Back
Top Bottom