Pre-Civil War US Shield ?

$modelman$

I found this silver emblem on a hill in Andover Mass. According to an old Historian it may be from before the civil war, as the eagle has the "Turkey" neck. It measures 1" from the tip on the eagle to the bottom point and 3/4" across. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks,
Bart

Attachments

• US Badge front.jpg
    US Badge front.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 564
  • US Badge back.jpg
    US Badge back.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 534
take it to a jeweler because i believe they started marking silver with the word sterling in the late 1800's

Although this shield depicts the thirteen original states I doubt that this item is as old as that! It is definitely sterling silver and an interesting piece. Maybe it belonged to someone reminiscing about the formation of the United States? Could it possibly be off of a fob chain?

Last edited:
The nine vertical stripes may have something to do with the following:

The Civil flag's Origin extends back to the Sons Of Liberty in Boston who flew the "rebellious stripes"; a vertical stripe flag in rebellion against the Stamp act imposed by Britain in 1767. The Sons of Liberty flag was the flag that inspired the Revolution! It's sibling the U.S. Civil Flag is the True Constitutional flag of the American Republic during peacetime, in-law under God.

Names associated with them include Paul Revere, Sam Adams, James Otis and even John Adams.

Thanks NHTim. Any idea on age? Do you belong to the Granite State Treasure Hunters? We just had our first meeting of the year Sunday. I showed the piece to all. Not sure, but I think Bill Burroughs, gave me the info.

Disclaimer - I'm not an historian, nor do I play one on TV. I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express though. I don't belong to the group.

I've got nothing on the age. For being in the ground it does not look weathered as though it had been there for long. I only throw out the 9 stripes theory due to where you found it, along with past history. I've seen the turkey neck reference before but don't know it's origin,although its use goes back into the 1700's.
http://www.silvercoinstoday.com/wp-...5/1794-Flowing-Hair-silver-dollar-reverse.jpg

NH's state emblem has 9 laurel leaves in it. Those signify, like the stripes, the 9 colony's that ratified the constitution. The thirteen stars add to the mystery actually.

The government uses a similar shield style, along with 13 stars and stripes.

Attachments

• gode_us_asst_attorney_L.jpg
    gode_us_asst_attorney_L.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 392
Back
Top Bottom