Unexpected Bottle Dump

BishopLynch

Went to look for arrowheads in the creek that runs through town and unexpectedly came across a very big bottle dump. I really didnt have the tools, besides a small detecting shovel, to get very deep into the bank of the creek. I must have pulled about 40 awesome, thick, green bottles, but every single one was broken. These were the only two that I was able to pull out whole with the limited tools.
I plan on getting back out there with proper tools and a way to get them back. Should be quite full of stuff. I checked out old maps and the whole bank used to be houses, but now is just a parking lot.

One bottle is very dark green with GREENWAY written on the bottom.
The other is brown with G. B. Co. Syracuse, NY.

Attachments

• 2012-07-10 09.16.07.jpg
    2012-07-10 09.16.07.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 771
  • 2012-07-10 09.18.15.jpg
    2012-07-10 09.18.15.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 756
thats how it works sometimes, expect the unexpected i suppose haha great finds definitely get back there and get digging! =D

Went back today and found much much more glass, but most is all broken. The best I could come up with was this green bottle, but its chipped on the lip. There are no markings on it at all, but there were literally hundreds of these same bottles, but they were all broken.
I fanned out a bit and found that the dump extends pretty far. Lots of of 20's-40's glass on top, but older stuff below. Most is broken.

I also found this Jergens bottle, two marbles, and what looks like the head for a pair of old barber's clippers.

Attachments

• 2012-07-10 15.34.19.jpg
    2012-07-10 15.34.19.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 721
That sounds like a nice spot you got there, i wouldn't give up on it yet. Those look like nice cork top bottles. Keep digging, bet there's more in there!

Awesome find and it always feels like theres more broken bottles than whole bottles but believe me, they're in there jus keep searchin and you'll find em. Those marbles are my favorites by far. GL&HH

Nice grab!!!
I have yet to stumble upon a bottle dump while fishing/walking/hiking....

always cool when people just find places like this.

btw-Greenway made beer in Syracuse, NY..

here's a bit of info on Syracuse brewing history... Greenway is talked about 1/2way down or so:
http://hbd.org/ensmingr/syracuse.html

That dump has some real potential. It will be hot and dirty work, but dig deeper. I would dig down until I hit natural soil then spread out. I'm willing to bet there are some really nice bottles down further. The reason most are broken is because surface bottles fill with water, then freeze and break. the whole bottles are below the frost line. What your getting so far are blob beers, wine, and whiskey bottles. The metal piece is a top to a razor head I believe. Good luck and keep us posted. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom