SUCCESS! Nickel (Buffalo) hunt - Part IV

ToySoldier

Forum Supporter
I returned to my private (buffalo hunting grounds) permission yesterday after dinner to squeeze in a hunt before dark. I went to the same area that was producing early wheat pennies and 1940s nickels a few days ago in Hunt Part III.

I took the advice of Foragist, SnohomishDigger, and markinswpa who said their deep/worn Buffaloes often favored 12, and bounced to 11 and even 10.

I didn't change my custom settings that include tone and volume level breaks between 11 and 12, and between 13 and 14, but I paid more attention to 12/13 that were real choppy bouncing to 11. I dug a few more beaver tails than the last hunt, but not by much.

After a slow start to readjust my ear I began hitting 5"+ deep nickels. I glanced at a few, but as it was getting dark put the last few in my pouch without trying to ID them.

I ended my last hunt with 99 wheat pennies for the year, so I dug a few pennies and tossed them into my pouch. When one wheat came out clean and easy to ID, I did a little cheer, and got back to hunting nickels.

For a bit I did try including 11 in the 12 and 13 tone bin, but there was so much junk hitting hard on 11 that I had to stare at the screen to skip those. In other words, I went back to listening for a good 12/13 and if it was choppy I could check and see if it was an 11 or 14 doing it. A 12/13 with a little bounce to the 11 or 14 was a dig and almost certain nickel, an unstable 13 bouncing hard to the 14 was no dig, but a 12/13 bouncing hard to 11 was a dig.

Anyway, I got home after dark and a few of the nickels were caked pretty good in dried dirt. Before I realized it I was looking at that great Native American Indian profile! Whoo! Under a magnifying glass I can just barely make out a 2 with enough space for a 1. So, I'm going with 1921.

73 nickels on this site to get that Buffalo. Of course I'm going back!

Parts I,II,III here:
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=272061
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=272126
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=273584

Attachments

• tatanka 5 23 2019.jpg
    tatanka 5 23 2019.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 374
  • buff obverse.jpg
    buff obverse.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 299
  • buff reverse.jpg
    buff reverse.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
That buffalo nickel bears a neat patina! Cool find, and big congrats on reaching 100 wheat pennies! :woot:

Well alrighty then! You just knew there was at least one in there somewhere. Congrats on seeing it through, and finding what you were after. That fine looking buffalo nickel is a well earned one.
After replying to your post, I went detecting, and was fooled three times by deep, old, crusted Jefferson nickels. They signaled just like buffs too. Glad to hear you got the ear for them now. Must be more there...

Congrats on the buff and wheat pennies. Nice detecting.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

OUTSTANDING TS, Persistence pays off. Congrats on the Buff and the major nickel harvest. My last three hunts to a yard permission, first time I dug a buff and 5 Jeffs. The next two I dug alot 11-12 12-13 12-13-14 with all trash to show for my trouble. I hope that site continues to produce for you. Good luck. Mark

Very nice, Congrats on the Buffalo mission success and on reaching the century mark on your Wheat Penny count. Continue to do as your doing and there will be even more success in the future. Trapper

Just an update that I found a second buffalo on my last day of this permission. I grabbed a bunch of nickels and didn't even realize one of them was a well worn buffalo until I got home.

There's no date, but it looks like a 1913 Type 1 to me. What do you think?

Attachments

• buffalo b reverse.jpg
    buffalo b reverse.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 210
Congrats on the Buffalo !

Hunted with my E-Trac for years - very stable target ID's on all coins except Nickel's.
I always looked for the same one or two ID number bounce that your talking about - dug a few hundred Nickel's that came in like that.

Just an update that I found a second buffalo on my last day of this permission. I grabbed a bunch of nickels and didn't even realize one of them was a well worn buffalo until I got home.

Congrats on another buff! Definitely a type 1 variety. :woot:

Congrats on the buff! Nice recovery. :waytogo:

Back
Top Bottom