Mystery Coin and item

Dantheman

So I was in a public park where the property dates back to the 1790s as farm land. I was going through the woods and found a few items which I am not sure of including a coin. Any help would be appreciated. They coin is slightly larger than a quarter but seems thin. I know the one part is a clock circle (sprocket). I know the one piece is a makeup compact. The jar is a Maryland Nox jar. It is the oval silver colored thing and coin (if a coin) I am at a loss for. The coin also has a jagged tooth or so on the edge. I wasn't sure if that was from corrosion or what.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

oh and the item in the far left was just the ring originally. I will post photos before the making into the key ring in another thread but I tossed it in this photo as I found the large ring at the same property. I am assuming the ring was part of a horse related use. Any guesses to the two main items photographed would be helpful. I am not sure if it is just paint on the oval or if it was plated with silver.

That "silvered" oval piece is probably a pin of some kind.
I found one exactly the same in a park and it had some lettering on it from a company picnic.
That coin could be foreign??

The coin looks to be copper (alloy) and scaling from the quarter is around 26-27mm diameter.
First guessing is a colonel era British coin, maybe a half penny which were common here.

Check this for possibles:
https://www.predecimal.com/british_coins_identification

Also possible it is a coin minted here in the colonies. This are rarer but wide spread along the Eastern coast.

The US large cent is same diameter but much thicker so probably not.

Another is Bank of Canada Tokens of which the half penny is that size (I did find one in an old farm field near me).
Check here:
http://www.coinsandcanada.com/tokens-medals-banks.php

Due to the corrosion I am assuming the coin is from 1700-1800's.

Maybe some very light tooth pick cleaning will show some details for ID.
All you need is to rub just enough for the raised part of details to show.

The coin looks to be copper (alloy) and scaling from the quarter is around 26-27mm diameter.
First guessing is a colonel era British coin, maybe a half penny which were common here.

Thanks, I am hoping it is a colonel coin. I wanted to toothpick some but the patina is flaking around the edges so much I don't want to make it worse.

As long as it isn't cancelled, the metal detecting club meeting is tomorrow so I may take it in to get some opinions. If it wasn't my first coin with some age, I would go to town and not worry if more patina flaked.

I just tossed it in distilled water as I am learning I should have had it in already and not let it dry out without sealing after. I may give it a week of soaking, changing out the water, light toothpick, then just give a coat of Ren Wax. It has been a learning process as it is my first old copper. Sadly, a big chunk flaked off from the back but I just need to tell myself there will be more and improve.

That "silvered" oval piece is probably a pin of some kind.
I found one exactly the same in a park and it had some lettering on it from a company picnic.
That coin could be foreign??

I took a look at your albums. Did you have it pictured? About what time period. That would make sense but it is really heavy. What lettering did it have? I am curious as the pervious owners of the land owned a stove company. The land was also used for hunting.

Due to the corrosion I am assuming the coin is from 1700-1800's.

Maybe some very light tooth pick cleaning will show some details for ID.
All you need is to rub just enough for the raised part of details to show.

I ended up taking the crust off and added renn wax. It is hard to see from the photo but it is looking to be a Connecticut Copper. I have a loop with a black light, and a few different mags. In the right lighting you can see the oval shield on the right. There are what appears to be a couple letters around 10 o'clock. The bottom has a distinct line and under the black light I can see what looks like a 78(7). I have the Whitman encyclopedia of Colonial coins and it is the exact same size and in the same places when set on top. The bust is in rougher shape but you can see the outline of a head somewhat. I am about 80% sure but I hope my eyes aren't just seeing what I want. Sorry the photo isn't better.

picture.php

picture.php

What is the exact diameter.

Good work so far bringing out details.
If the '78' in the date are correct then this is Not a British half penny since they were not minted between 1776 - 1798 so No 178x coins.

The Lady Britannia is very similar on both the British half penny and the Connecticut coins. And since not a British coin then more likely a Connecticut copper.

What is the exact diameter.

Good work so far bringing out details.
If the '78' in the date are correct then this is Not a British half penny since they were not minted between 1776 - 1798 so No 178x coins.

The Lady Britannia is very similar on both the British half penny and the Connecticut coins. And since not a British coin then more likely a Connecticut copper.

I will need to take it into work to get the exact measurement as I don't have a caliper but I laid it on the scan they use in the Whitman Encyclopedia of Colonial Coins and it is exact. I assume they don't resize but not sure. I will see if I can take it in work and use the caliper this week.

I'm thinking the silver oval may be a dog license. I've found them
dating to the 1940s.

I'm thinking the silver oval may be a dog license. I've found them
dating to the 1940s.

Possible. Most people here don't have them but not sure about back in the 40s. If they had them, it would make sense with all the hunting they did on this property.

From the size of it and the marks on the back my guess on the silver thing would be a bridal rosette.

From the size of it and the marks on the back my guess on the silver thing would be a bridal rosette.

I think you are right. After looking online, it looks exactly where they would go. I have it soaking in sodium carbonate and bi carbonate right now as it has bronze disease pretty bad. I plan to preserve the best I can.

Back
Top Bottom