Strange early colonial era relic dug...

Matt (NH)

I dug this over the weekend at a colonial era cellar hole. I have NO idea what it is or what it could have been used for. I thought it was interesting so I wanted to post it in case anyone had any information. It looks to be some early (1700's) harness. I can tell you that it was hand forged. Thanks for any information.

Matt

Attachments

• iron thing.jpeg
    iron thing.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 845
Wow!! Amazing find! The second one you posted an image of is called a snaffle bit - yours I believe would just be called a chain bit - that is a VERY fine colonial relic indeed - one for the display case! :wow:

Thanks for all the replied and for helping me identify the item. It never dawned on me it was a horse bit but as soon as you guys told me it made perfect sense. It's actually the first one I have ever dug in 20 years detecting.

Hi all...
I'm new to the party (well, this forum, anyway), but I've been collecting antique bridle bits for 45 years.

I'm afraid your bit, a "double-twisted wire, half-cheek snaffle" bit, as Matt suggested above, isn't terribly old. It could be 100 years old, but definitely not much more than that. Bits like this were mass-produced.

Sorry! (don't shoot me...I'm only the messenger!)

Back
Top Bottom