Garrett Pro Pointer on it's last leg??

NoxDude

Elite Member
Hey Guys..

I think my pro pointer is on it's way out. Sometimes it will just start to chatter for no reason or if I check out a target it trips out sometimes and I have to turn it off and on to reset. Is it having problems? I would say I have over 4000 cycles on it. My pistol probe works good so far!

ATPro Dude

Hey Guys..

I think my pro pointer is on it's way out. Sometimes it will just start to chatter for no reason or if I check out a target it trips out sometimes and I have to turn it off and on to reset. Is it having problems? I would say I have over 4000 cycles on it. My pistol probe works good so far!

ATPro Dude
Is the foam still up in the cap that holds pressure on the battery? Either way stick a nickel up in the cap and see what happens? You have nothing to loose at this point...

I've been using my GPP for nearly two years now and find it has some pretty odd habits.
It does become attenuated and will remember a certain something about something and lock in on it.
When the GPP is left turned on and laid down on mineralized soil it will eventually begin to chirp.
If not retrieved and turned off it can get pretty insistent.
A weak battery or dirty battery terminals have the same effect.
Check for metallic articles such as zippers or something in a nearby pocket before you condemn this tough little friend.
One tip for quieter searches with the GPP. As sturdily built as it is, the GPP has one structural problem I really don't like.
The circuit board is installed into the shell in a manner it is flat when the off-on button is upward.
The huge hole where the off-on button weakens the shell and it flexes there when the tip of the GPP is pressed a little too hard.
This flexing bows the circuit board and gives false signals, sometime at just the wrong time.
I have found that using the GPP with the off-on button facing the side, rather than the top completely eliminates this problem.
If all else fails CALL Garrett and talk to them.
A person will answer the phone and they are aced out customer service people.
They may or may not charge you for repairs if you have to send it in....but they will take care of you in a fair and rapid manner.
GL and HH

ATP/GPP/Fiskars Diggers/BH Outback/CT Hand held

Hey Guys..

ATPro Dude

DUDE, Call them up and send it on in. I just sent my own after 20 months of use. Turn around time to getting it back in hand was 9 days total. No charge on mine.....First your digger and now your PP. Whats next ?? Its all that clad you`re digging !!!......Good luck !

Hey Guys..

ATPro Dude

Mine was doing the same thing. I sent it back to garrett and they sent it back. It does the same thing it was doing before I sent it in. They did replace the rubber grommet on the start button, but other than that, I can't say they did anything else???

HDD

The Pro Pointer is done..the switch broken on it. That is 2 deaths in 2 weeks!! I think it is time for a new one. Cheapest I found was $110. I guess I can bury it next to my trusty shovel.. :laughing: I guess I have to tap into my detector funds and get another one...

ATPro Dude..

Gotta say it so here it goes. Whites TRX my friend. Once you use it you wont go back. I had two GPP's and only carry one as a "just in case" Back up. I never even put a battery in it this year. TRX Good down to 4" in dry soil and Ive picked up a penny at 7" in the spring with LOTS of moisture in the ground. This was a confirmed and measured depth just to prove to myself. Takes just a bit of getting used to the TRX but it's worth it. Oh, FLPhil said he took out the circuitry on one and screwed the battery cap back on and put it in the bottom of a 5 gal pail full of water with a brick to hold the TRX Shell down on bottom. 20 min later the inside was still dry. Now I have not submerged mine but I trust Phil. Wont do that with the GPP.

Is the foam still up in the cap that holds pressure on the battery? Either way stick a nickel up in the cap and see what happens? You have nothing to loose at this point...

I use a nickel in mine too, what are the odds?
And I have nothing to LOSE either:lol:

The Pro Pointer is done..the switch broken on it. That is 2 deaths in 2 weeks!! I think it is time for a new one. Cheapest I found was $110. I guess I can bury it next to my trusty shovel.. :laughing: I guess I have to tap into my detector funds and get another one...

ATPro Dude..

Mine was only a month old when I tried cleaning the dirt out of the speaker holes. The switch came apart, messed with it for well over an hour, lost a tiny piece of it and gave up on the original switch.
I soldered two leads to the contacts, taped a toggle switch to the upper side of the housing and have been using it like that for 4.1/2 years!
I'll get that chatter now and then, sometimes the vibrate doesn't always kick in when I power it on, but 99% of the time it works just fine. And.... I find the toggle switch better and easier to manipulate than the original switch, lol. ;)

Gotta say it so here it goes. Whites TRX my friend. Once you use it you wont go back. I had two GPP's and only carry one as a "just in case" Back up. I never even put a battery in it this year. TRX Good down to 4" in dry soil and Ive picked up a penny at 7" in the spring with LOTS of moisture in the ground. This was a confirmed and measured depth just to prove to myself. Takes just a bit of getting used to the TRX but it's worth it. Oh, FLPhil said he took out the circuitry on one and screwed the battery cap back on and put it in the bottom of a 5 gal pail full of water with a brick to hold the TRX Shell down on bottom. 20 min later the inside was still dry. Now I have not submerged mine but I trust Phil. Wont do that with the GPP.

What he said.

Mine was only a month old when I tried cleaning the dirt out of the speaker holes. The switch came apart, messed with it for well over an hour, lost a tiny piece of it and gave up on the original switch.
I soldered two leads to the contacts, taped a toggle switch to the upper side of the housing and have been using it like that for 4.1/2 years!
I'll get that chatter now and then, sometimes the vibrate doesn't always kick in when I power it on, but 99% of the time it works just fine. And.... I find the toggle switch better and easier to manipulate than the original switch, lol. ;)
You have to remove the rubber over the switch then make sure it's in the (on- down) position before you slip the guts out. Otherwise the switch may break.

I dont know much about them but I read there is some kind of reset button inside them , which is something many people dont know about. I have to wonder how many have been sent into garrett only to have the technician push the reset button and sent it back :lol:

My propointer has started a new lifestyle. I can turn it on and it works fine, but the only way to turn it off is to tap the tip hard against a solid object. :?:
As long as it keeps working I'll use it 'til the ground freezes, and then see about checking it out with Garrett.

Foiled

You have to remove the rubber over the switch then make sure it's in the (on- down) position before you slip the guts out. Otherwise the switch may break.

Oh, I did all of that. The best I can determine is I must have bumped the switch against the inside of the pp'er when I was reassembling it and knocked it back to the off position.
But my jury rig with the toggle switch has worked just fine, on/off and detuning work a-1.
I bought a second one as a backup, and the only time it's been out of the box was to remove the battery. Over 2 years old and it's never seen the ground, lol.

My Pro Pointer seemed to have lost some detection depth. I email Garrett got a RMA # sent it in and they sent a new one.

I did the same thing three years ago. The one that came to me NEW IN BOX had the same max 2" air test with a quarter. Very sub par if ya ask me. The one I still had at home which is 4 years old now works as it did new. About 2 1/2" Max Air test. TRX... I can get 5" with a quarter in the air. I gave up on GPP's.

Back
Top Bottom