Why sell your silver and gold?

Silver Strike

Forum Supporter
I have often wondered why people here and elsewhere are selling off their silver and gold for melt? In todays economy gold and silver are the only tangible currency, not the piece of paper backed by nothing that you are recieving for your precious metals. Me personally, I'm a hoarder of gold and silver, that way when the ***t hits the fan I will have something to bargain and barter with. I know everyone is so excited about silver at $40 per oz. but how will you feel when it jumps to $200+ per oz and you've sold it all off? Those mercs and silver rosies will be a very important asset to all of us someday even though they may only be worth a few bucks now. This is one of the main reasons I took up detecting, so I could add to the hoard and have something later when the dollar is worth but the paper its on. Rant over, continue with your day:D P.S. STOP MELTING BEAUTIFUL COINS!!!!

It's all in the reason you invested in PMs in the first place. Some people are happy with a double or triple in value. Others will never sell it. They will pass it down to their grandchildren or other family members. Everyone is different. I sell when I need quick cash. Different strokes for different folks.

G2M

I have often wondered why people here and elsewhere are selling off their silver and gold for melt? In todays economy gold and silver are the only tangible currency, not the piece of paper backed by nothing that you are recieving for your precious metals. Me personally, I'm a hoarder of gold and silver, that way when the ***t hits the fan I will have something to bargain and barter with. I know everyone is so excited about silver at $40 per oz. but how will you feel when it jumps to $200+ per oz and you've sold it all off? Those mercs and silver rosies will be a very important asset to all of us someday even though they may only be worth a few bucks now. This is one of the main reasons I took up detecting, so I could add to the hoard and have something later when the dollar is worth but the paper its on. Rant over, continue with your day:D P.S. STOP MELTING BEAUTIFUL COINS!!!!

Good point. I have quite a bit of silver, some gold. I figure that if I sell all I have is skinkin' paper that isn't worth crap.

fellow hoarder

Fellow Hoarder here. I scrap copper. (electrician) I save pre-82 pennies, I save all silver and gold , and I have started hoarding nickels. Price of nickel is skyrocketing. Nickels have nickel and copper. I am with ya on the economy.

If it ever really hits the fan I don't see how precious metals will be worth anything either. You can't eat gold...

Fellow Hoarder here. I scrap copper. (electrician) I save pre-82 pennies, I save all silver and gold , and I have started hoarding nickels. Price of nickel is skyrocketing. Nickels have nickel and copper. I am with ya on the economy.

Hey, you copying me? J/K :lol: I just started saving nickels also. It is kinda fun hoarding all these different things not knowing when in the future they will be sought after. Everyone I know thinks saving all this stuff is nuts, but in the end we'll all be well off. :lol:

Gold and silver has had value for thousands of years and will continue, and with the gold you can buy something to eat.

Yes, but if society as we know it really goes to heck, no one will trade food for a piece of metal. The things that will be worth anything will be the things that have an immediate use - clothing, tools, food, guns. Precious metals are only worth something if there's some sort of functional society / economy that gives them value. Gold is like tulip bulbs, except it makes better jewelry.

The reason i would sell it is for money for a gun and food. So I don't have to barter for my food because I already have it! :)

Guns are worthless without ammo.......I have a BUNCH!!!!!!! It's not all made in the USA, but if push comes to shove, it won't matter.......

Dusty

Yes, but if society as we know it really goes to heck, no one will trade food for a piece of metal. The things that will be worth anything will be the things that have an immediate use - clothing, tools, food, guns. Precious metals are only worth something if there's some sort of functional society / economy that gives them value. Gold is like tulip bulbs, except it makes better jewelry.

Preperation is 9/10's the battle your proposing :grin:

Yup, a gun and a bullet have a defined value.....someone's life. No dickering over that. I've got some pretty polished rocks.....wonder how much food those would buy me????

Dusty

There is a place for guns and a place for barter. When I have all the food, clothing , guns, ammo and tools I need I'll trade you for your gold, then when " there's some sort of functional society / economy " restored I'll be livin the good life by the "golden rule".:lol::lol: You do know the golden rule dont you?:ehh:

I always find it funny that we place so much value in what are essentially nothing but rocks and metal lol

We do that now because we can afford to do it with the way society is set up. Gold and silver did not start out as money. It was first used as jewelry and art objects, usually objects of worship. The "money system" was largely based on the "barter system" (trading something someone else wants for something you want). Roman soldiers, the best in the world for centuries, were paid in salt.

I can see the day coming when someone says, "I'll trade you a roll of toilet paper for a bottle of beer"......:lol::lol::lol:

Dusty

I know SILVER bullets work well on Werewolves and some say Vampires.... but now that we are on the topic.... I'll go ahead and go there....

Do SILVER bullets work on Zombies?

<D>

Back
Top Bottom