detector brands - war of words

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I told myself I was going to refrain from commenting on this topic. Well that didn't last but about a few seconds.

I think somewhere the competitiveness about what we own is hardwired with some people. You will have someone say that Calabash Digger is full of it based on a post or video that showed their detectors in a bad light. And of course Calabash will come roaring back at that person who poked him like a certain New York Real Estate developer with blond hair and a tanned face.

I remember growing up hearing the same kind of war of words about the cars you drove in the 50-60's. Especially the battle between the Fords and Chevrolets. I remember fist and wrestling fights erupting when the polite discussions got out of hand.

One side felt their Ford was way better than a Chevrolet and had a millions reasons why. The Chevrolet owner had just as deep of feelings and as many reasons on his side. This was an era in our country when our major divisions were focused on which is the better car.

Today, we don't give cars a second thought. But we certainly do get upset over hundreds of other things and of course I am referring to politics and political correctness. But that is all I will mention, because if on this forum we digress into politics and we would all get banned.

Me I did not participate in these war of words back then for two reasons. One: I drove a Volkswagen and the only argument I had was better mileage, but when gas was 26 cents a gallon, who cared. Two: most guys who owned Fords and Chevrolets were could fight better than me, so making negative observations about their cars was not healthy. The reason they could fight better than me was because of those Ford vs Chevrolet discussions often ended in a fight.

Calabash gets very, very particular on what a specific brand detector will and will not do compared to other brands in his test garden. This may influence people deciding or not deciding to buy a particular brand and that can be helpful.

But influencing some people who already own a particular brand by his observations and comments? Probably won't happen. That is like pointing out some negative traits in someone else's kids to their parents. They really won't respond too kindly to such comments.

On the whole, I find the war of words informative and entertaining. I don't think it is going to destroy this forum. You can either read Calabash's post and react or not react. He is always challenging his critics to do their own tests and compares and that does not often happen. Why? I figure the challenger my not have an 800 to compare to his model, so he doesn't.

I myself keep busy in the field trying to learn more about relic hunting and learning the 800. At times I think I bought the wrong machine due to all the positive comments about the Equinox that most certainly did affect my decision to purchase the 800.

Maybe the 800 is too much of a machine for my type of hunting. I have had occasional buyers remorse to a lesser degree and think I might have done better by buying an XP Deus for relic hunting. But had I done that maybe I would now be thinking I should have bought an 800. And it goes on and on.
I have had this tendency to think, if only I had this model or that model I would find more good stuff.

But I am limited to a one detector at a time owner since my dear wife seems to spend 98.6% of our joint income on things she deems more important than another metal detector.

But the sobering truth is, I need to get better at the general art and science of metal detecting and really learn the machine I own. Or I get in a circle of always trying to learn a new machine, but never learning to master it and staying frustrated.

Detectors are like golf clubs. I know guys who will spend many, many more dollars to get 20 extra yards out of a driver. Or a different weird styled putter that looks like they are sighting down a narrow pipe up against their chin when putting. When a pro has a good round of golf on a TV tournament with this fancy six foot putter then millions of duffers go buy one.

Not much different from our hobby but we just have more knobs and buttons on our shaft and rarely have sweetly tailored ground to practice our skills. I would like to see golfer try to golf where I hunt. You need a weed eater in most places I hunt for relics. And for our desert gold hunters, the ball would ricochet at least 18 different times in different directions off the rocks. Good bye par five courses and hello par 15 courses.

Like golfers we are competing against others and ourselves.

Last edited:
Our president is amazing your right!! ;). Nox is best!! For all seriousness debating is healthy. I know what works best for me from what I've used. I also try most everything out there. If my sites were ALL littered with beds of nails I'd own this brand, or if I only park hunt I'd own this brand. But I hunt everywhere and like the all purpose detector than can do alot of things great and some things really good.. the nox exceeds my needs at the moment. But what is funny is watching someone from upper North East argue with someone from south west over a detector.. completely different circumstances and that is why there are choices. I wish people wouldn't get so butt hurt over these threads. Brand loyalty will hurt you in the end.. performance loyalty is what people need to be..

OK...I'll play along here...yeah..its a Saturday and 10 minutes til noon..You got your drink on a bit ahead of the rest of us didja? I can appreciate that! I like the cut of your jib! Proactive! On time or early! Setting the baseline! OK..Lemme yhave a go!l.:laughing:

Ya know waht really chaps my @ss?.... a 3' tall eskimo!:laughing::laughing:

A post of fresh air there maxxkatt, kinda like resetting the pin ball machine after a bad tilt:D

Sure folks can find things with any detector really.

Are detectors carbon copies of one another between models?
Certainly not.

Loads of variation.
Freqs
Coils types
Coil sizes
Some handle ground minerals better if only slightly
Some seem can process data faster

Some folks may see someone make what they think are bold(er) statements.
And someone will react vs ask the person making statement(s) why they feel the what they do.

Really comes down to what you want to spend.
How much performance you want (in certain areas as far as detector performance)
How many sites you have access to.

If you have loads of sites you can go to freely, one can find things no doubt.
Example Hoover Boys.

I don't usually participate in the heated detector vs detector threads, other than posting the random popcorn smiley, but I sure do enjoy reading them! Great entertainment! :yes:

PS: Chevy > Ferd :laughing:

I don't usually participate in the heated detector vs detector threads, other than posting the random popcorn smiley, but I sure do enjoy reading them! Great entertainment! :yes:

PS: Chevy > Ferd :laughing:

I wouldn’t trade my rice burner Toyota for a semi truck load of Fords or Chevies.

Are you serious? Chevrolet performs MUCH better in iron than ANY Toyota or Honda! Better depth too! :laughing:

Your right, Chevy and Ford deeper alright.
Meaning a person will dig deeper in pocket after buying one to get it to go 300,000 miles vs rice burner.

I like cars from the 1960s, grew up with a 1967 ford galaxie, one of my favorite cars. Cant afford the fuel...390 cid engine 12mpg.
I drive a reliable 96 toyota camry..great car. I wont buy american anymore except a mustang gt with stick shift.:yes:

Your right, Chevy and Ford deeper alright.
Meaning a person will dig deeper in pocket after buying one to get it to go 300,000 miles vs rice burner.

Oh, I don't know about that. That might have been the case decades ago, but not so much nowadays.. Two of my last three 5.3L equipped Silverados and Sierras hit around that mark with no major issues. 2000 Sierra had 280k trouble free miles when I sold it, and still ran fine. It was a work truck and most of those miles spent hauling an 18' enclosed trailer across several states, so it wasn't pampered by any means. My 1999 Silverado had 305k on the clock when I sold it. Saw the new owner driving it a year later. Still running fine. My 2007 Silverado had 180k on the clock and when I totaled it. I have no doubt it would have hit the 275k-300k mile range just like the other two had I not wrecked it. My current ride is a 2018 Sierra SLT. Give it a few years and we'll see how it stacks up! My Chebbies have been good to me!

From my experiences, the LS series motors are damn near bullet proof. Right up there with the Toyota 22R and Ford 300ci straight 6.

Ok, back on topic.. Sorry! :lol:

Last edited:
Chebbies are ok but Fords pinpoint better and go deeper too...Rod, Rod Serling!!! where are you!!

DODGE RAM > Ford > chevy.

If Bash would leave out the berating of other brands, I believe the retorts wouldn't be so abrasive. Compare the detectors and leave it at that.

Like most here I've tried many detectors. I have a formidable cadre of detectors at my disposal. Some folk don't detect as much as I like to and some hunt more. Some are good with what they have and some keep looking for the next best thing. Some (like me) just like to see what other detectors can do. I use all my detectors just to swing something different every now and then. MOST OF ALL, I JUST LIKE TO HAVE FUN.

Lots of hunters who have one detector have as much or more fun than me and my buddies do who also have multiple detectors. Bash with his condescending overtures and incessant lambasting of other detectors warrants the retorts of fellow members on this and other forums. He has an insatiable desire to discredit other brands, which I find petty. The question is why ? If a hunter likes Tesoro, well that's what he likes. Maybe that guy doesn't want to buy a new detector. Maybe that Tesoro does exactly what the hunter is looking for. Nothing wrong with that.

Bash reminds me of David Koresh.

If Bash would leave out the berating of other brands, I believe the retorts wouldn't be so abrasive. Compare the detectors and leave it at that.

Like most here I've tried many detectors. I have a formidable cadre of detectors at my disposal. Some folk don't detect as much as I like to and some hunt more. Some are good with what they have and some keep looking for the next best thing. Some (like me) just like to see what other detectors can do. I use all my detectors just to swing something different every now and then. MOST OF ALL, I JUST LIKE TO HAVE FUN.

Lots of hunters who have one detector have as much or more fun than me and my buddies do who also have multiple detectors. Bash with his condescending overtures and incessant lambasting of other detectors warrants the retorts of fellow members on this and other forums. He has an insatiable desire to discredit other brands, which I find petty. The question is why ? If a hunter likes Tesoro, well that's what he likes. Maybe that guy doesn't want to buy a new detector. Maybe that Tesoro does exactly what the hunter is looking for. Nothing wrong with that.

I get the feeling you are leaving out or forgetting the folks who are looking at getting into detecting or are looking to upgrade detectors.

I think this may indeed be Calabash’s intended target audience.
Just so happens it is folks who already unloaded their dough on other models (Calabash doesn’t recommend) who seem to respond the most.

Calabash I think understands it is hard to teach old dogs new tricks.

It is also my opinion, very possible if a newby here sees how folks who have been member here longer respond to Calabash’s threads and post, it likely drives them from getting involved in the actual threads and posts, asking questions, etc.

I think where most get offended is Calabash is really passionate and matter of fact in the way he presents the information. I was one of those people that started in 78 with a Gold Mountain Tr/vlf and i have bought almost everything that has come out trying to get an edge in some really pounded sites. I spent a ton of money to find out what he is conveying. I know what he wants to do, is show you depending on what site,(his sites are like mine, full of iron) what machines can get you the best finds without having to buy a machine only to find out that there is better out there for certain jobs. I can take my old Gold Mountain machine and i can hit a fairly clean virgin yard and i could post stuff that would make someone want to try to find an old antique Gold Mountain lol. Actually the Radio Shack machine was my first in the mid 70's.

If a person just looks past Calabashes matter of fact, directness in your face way of conveying the info, it might save an up and coming detectorist from spending money on a machine that might not fit the goal he has in mind for his search site.

I have my obsolete machines and i love them, but i also can say that i have found Calabashes and TNN posts to be right on par with my findings as well.

Im not about to run out and sell my obsolete machines just because of his or anyone's else's posts. But i do like seeing that his and some others findings on here mirror my own when comparing some of the latest model machines.

Good post. Although comparing Calsbash to Koresh is misguided. Like comparing an, (at times) sometimes annoyong, mosquito to a mass murderer.

I get the feeling you are leaving out or forgetting the folks who are looking at getting into detecting or are looking to upgrade detectors.

I think this may indeed be Calabash’s intended target audience.
Just so happens it is folks who already unloaded their dough on other models (Calabash doesn’t recommend) who seem to respond the most.

Calabash I think understands it is hard to teach old dogs new tricks.

It is also my opinion, very possible if a newby here sees how folks who have been member here longer respond to Calabash’s threads and post, it likely drives them from getting involved in the actual threads and posts, asking questions, etc.

More folk get into detecting and then out of detecting than stay in detecting. I know many people who have a detector in the closet. If your looking to buy your first detector, you wouldn't be wise to drop 900 bucks on a new detector. Purchase a capable detector but make sure the hobby is for you before you drop 1k on detecting equipment. One would need a good pinpointer, pouch, hand digger and a shovel. If a newbie goes all out and finds out he doesn't like the hobby, he will lose money. Detector resale is the black hole in this hobby.

FTR, I vehemently disagree about who Bash is trying to reach. Look at his Tesoro videos. He has a point to pick and won't let it go. He wants to prove to Tesoro users that he's correct and they are wrong. WHY ?

Good post. Although comparing Calsbash to Koresh is misguided. Like comparing an, (at times) sometimes annoyong, mosquito to a mass murderer.

From Wikipedia about Koresh. David Koresh was the American leader of the Branch Davidians sect, believing himself to be its final prophet.

Describes Bash to a T regarding detecting comparisons.

I just love everyone's comments on " detector wars " .I'm sure a competent Psychiatrist could write one heck of a book based on some of the thoughts expressed by some of the
participants of these discussions . Detectorists tend to encompass quite a vast cross section of personalities .Keep on posting and I'll keep on reading . Cheers !

Back
Top Bottom