Carbon Fiber Handles - a little history

Owl Engineering

Forum Supporter
I started building scoops in the early 80's. Frankly, technology was a little primitive as well as my design approach. My first scoop was cold rolled steel that was not strong and rusted in salt water.

Time rolled on with design changes but it becase clear weight became a critical consideration. I fought it for years: how to make a light scoop that would stand up to the torture of metal detecting in the water.

About 5 years ago while trying to cut a few ounces out of the metal part I realized that the handle had been ignored and something needed to be done.

I was "All In" with Carbon Fiber since about 1 pound could be saved.

Sunspot was the first and only with Carbon Fiber and although we had a couple minor problems in the beginning, we worked our way through the problems.

Now all of a sudden everyone is a Carbon Fiber expert, or are they?

One comical example is that one supplier "fills with foam so it will float". Simply put, this makes the handle heavier.

Another uses such a thick wall that you are beginning to void the advantages of C.F. I have also seen way too thin of a wall.

Some builders glue a wood core inside :laughing:

Why use Carbon Fiber? light weight is the only real answer since wood is plenty strong.

Comments have been made that some handles are sold for 3-6 times their cost. Dream on. We are lucky to make $20 per handle since there is so much labor in doing it right. As an example, we use the finest marine epoxy with a metal insert on the bottom for securing the handle and a turned cap on the other end.

Our handles have an exclusive feature which I call a "fish scale" texture which give a nice grip when pulling the scoop up.

Yes, we want to sell handles and make a profit but we feel building a superior product is the only way to go. We plan to stay one step ahead of the Knock-Off boys which is not hard to do :p

Chuck

Get a handle on it..

HI

Great info and I like your integrity with building your handles, great to know.

It would be nice to see a CF travel handle, say 48" long that comes apart in the middle with a strong connection. I love "my" scoop but i am now looking at travel scoops so I can put it in a suitcase.

Silver <: }}}}-<

Chuck, I have both your scoop and CF handle and they are the best I've ever used. However, better than all that is the warranty and service that you give standing behind your product. :good:

we do make C. F. travel handles

HI

Great info and I like your integrity with building your handles, great to know.

It would be nice to see a CF travel handle, say 48" long that comes apart in the middle with a strong connection. I love "my" scoop but i am now looking at travel scoops so I can put it in a suitcase.

Silver <: }}}}-<

See the image

By the way, due to changes at the post office, UPS and Fedex, we had to change our handles from 48" to 47" :mad:

Chuck

Attachments

• tr-handle2.jpg
    tr-handle2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 635
Chuck-N-Detroit, gonna shoot you a PM.... :D

I started building scoops in the early 80's. Frankly, technology was a little primitive as well as my design approach. My first scoop was cold rolled steel that was not strong and rusted in salt water.

Time rolled on with design changes but it becase clear weight became a critical consideration. I fought it for years: how to make a light scoop that would stand up to the torture of metal detecting in the water.

About 5 years ago while trying to cut a few ounces out of the metal part I realized that the handle had been ignored and something needed to be done.

I was "All In" with Carbon Fiber since about 1 pound could be saved.

Sunspot was the first and only with Carbon Fiber and although we had a couple minor problems in the beginning, we worked our way through the problems.

Now all of a sudden everyone is a Carbon Fiber expert, or are they?

One comical example is that one supplier "fills with foam so it will float". Simply put, this makes the handle heavier.

Another uses such a thick wall that you are beginning to void the advantages of C.F. I have also seen way too thin of a wall.

Some builders glue a wood core inside :laughing:

Why use Carbon Fiber? light weight is the only real answer since wood is plenty strong.

Comments have been made that some handles are sold for 3-6 times their cost. Dream on. We are lucky to make $20 per handle since there is so much labor in doing it right. As an example, we use the finest marine epoxy with a metal insert on the bottom for securing the handle and a turned cap on the other end.

Our handles have an exclusive feature which I call a "fish scale" texture which give a nice grip when pulling the scoop up.

Yes, we want to sell handles and make a profit but we feel building a superior product is the only way to go. We plan to stay one step ahead of the Knock-Off boys which is not hard to do :p

Chuck

the best scoop period. I will be ordering a cf handle soon. the wood one that I bought with it is holding up as well as the scoop. haven't heard !!!! about the copycats in awhile. must have went out of business giving away demos.:laughing:

I've never gone the carbon fiber route, always just stuck wood in mine, but I will never be without a Stealth scoop. Quality product and Quality people. If (well, when) I get too decrepit to handle the weight of wood/fiberglass, i'll be getting the CF from Sunspot.
Buy once, Cry once.
Buy American Made if you can.

Glad I can get people fired up over carbon fiber:lol: FWIW mine is built for where I hunt and is doing what I need it to do! Thanks to all my fans!:laughing:

Hi Chuck,
my story with CF started in 2010 when I used a broken carbon mast from windsurfing for hunting dry sand . in the water I do not like carbon.
in the water I always preferred a handle from ash for $ 1 :D
a few years ago I produced CF for travel, and this is really a real need. although now I'm out of working with carbon.

I got mine for 85.00 , were can i get one for 30.00 :?:

Earl you have to know the mm you need inside and out and the length. I can use 1000mm long. You are likely too tall. FWIW carbon fiber isn't rocket science anymore or wizardry. FWIW I used composite kayak paddles and flounder gigs before most in the U.S. ever saw the stuff. :lol::D

Be safe working with CF guys. Very dangerous. I had a friend that worked In the Air-force reserves, Andrews Air FB and did repairs on the F117, they were required to pass OSHA qualifications and wear special protective gear when working with. One thing I was told,....... the very small fibers can get into your skin and if they get into your blood stream can damage your heart. So be safe...breathing and touching.

Be safe working with CF guys. Very dangerous. I had a friend that worked In the Air-force reserves, Andrews Air FB and did repairs on the F117, they were required to pass OSHA qualifications and wear special protective gear when working with. One thing I was told,....... the very small fibers can get into your skin and if they get into your blood stream can damage your heart. So be safe...breathing and touching.

Yeah the CTX doesn't use the best carbon fiber either. Google some of the upper shaft repairs. Eventually it erodes at the plastic and snaps off the carbon fiber. And the dust from sliding the lower rod in and out eats off the bottom of the carbon. Its also why they get scared when you crash a carbon fiber type motorcycle.

With that being said, WHY would anyone want a cheap carbon fiber ANYTHING? You can buy a lot of cheap things but I would think it would be better safe than sorry in the long run to buy QUALITY.

With that being said, WHY would anyone want a cheap carbon fiber ANYTHING? You can buy a lot of cheap things but I would think it would be better safe than sorry in the long run to buy QUALITY.

Most the carbon fiber all comes from about the same place. Its the "mines better than yours" thing aka "yours is cheap".

Went through a few different designs. Settled on a compromise between weight and strength. Do a lot of traveling with my detector.
Yesterday put my detector and scoop into a backpack and walked to the beach . Simple
I'm 6ft1 and use the 51"

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180228-071316.jpg
    Screenshot_20180228-071316.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 427
Back
Top Bottom