Magnet for the scoop

postaldigger

I do most of my detecting at or in the water mainly because I live 15 minutes from the li sound and the Atlantic Ocean. I made a nice sand scoop for myself that works really well in the water and on the beach. I was thinking of adding a magnet to the bottom of the scoop and was wondering if that is good idea or not especially since I am looking to get a new or used whites Df pi machine. I'm thinking the magnet would help with all the metal I'll be digging. I'm hoping for any input on this.Also should I buy a better magnet like a dymeum.(sorry if I misspelled that one -it's late)

Tried them and didn't like it. Gets caked in little tiny black filaments. Also if you scoop up something sharp you have to not jab your hand trying to get it out.
Others,might have better success with it in their conditions

Yes,! When using a PI machine, a magnet in the scoop is mandatory.
this speeds up the processing and catches the studs and screws.

A magnet is superfluous when using discriminatory machines like excalibur.

ps: you need neodymium magnets

Attachments

• KandJ.jpg
    KandJ.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 408
I just got the Whites DF last week and after my first two times out Im putting a magnet on my scoop. I dug quite a few old broken screws that fell through the scoop, but had a blast using the DF.

If you have a computer shop in your area. Ask them for broken hard drives. You can get all the magnets you want free from them. if they get caked toss them and use a new one.

Last time I looked, Joanns Fabric and even my local hardware store sold a few nice neodymium magnets.

The surplus hard drive is an awesome place to get them, but they are behind about 12 torx screws.

Yes,! When using a PI machine, a magnet in the scoop is mandatory.
this speeds up the processing and catches the studs and screws.

A magnet is superfluous when using discriminatory machines like excalibur.

ps: you need neodymium magnets

You're going to catch me in a scoop?

Magnets in the scoop

Thanks for all the input on the magnets in the scoop and special thanks to David for putting in the link it was very helpful. I think I am going to give it a try and see how it works --if I don't like it I'll try to add it on to my magnet fishing rig

Thanks for all the input on the magnets in the scoop and special thanks to David for putting in the link it was very helpful. I think I am going to give it a try and see how it works --if I don't like it I'll try to add it on to my magnet fishing rig

Welcome! Let us know what you order and how it works

Magnets in scoop

I bought neodymium magnets in a ten pack for about 14$ they are 11/4 in with a countersunk hole in middle I used 7 in my large homemade scoop 4 on bottom and 3 on the side .I used it the other day on beach with the Excalibur ---I know I was digging all signals including iron just to test magnets in scoop it worked real good picking bobby pins,pieces of hooks and all sorts of small pices of trash so I guess I'll leave the magnets for now maybe take out 1or2 we'll see thanks for all the advice on this issue I'm very happy with the results( funny when I sifted scoop if I heard noise I had "something"if not I knew it was trash)

Back
Top Bottom