Again, The Garrett AT Series Have Proven Themselves As Excellent Coin & Jewlery Hunters!

Yes......my first was a Radio Shack, I had 2 Bounty Hunters, a Minelab Musketeer, a Whites Amphibian, and a Detector Pro Wader. I really likes the Garrett GTI 2500, and have taken a liken to Garrett. I stay away from the NOX, as it hates Canadian Coinage, however, the new
Anfibio is looking very interesting, as it can be used in bother water and dry environments. I am just not sure how well it ID's Canadian coinage. Using the Garrett's, I can easily ID our clad, better then any other machine I have used.

John, how many years have you been detecting ? Christmas makes 5 years for me. The reason I ask is, my main hunting buddy who is younger than me, has been detecting for many years. In my club I'm considered one of the better hunters but my buddy smokes me. Rarely do I beat him in a hunt. There's certain "wompy" signals he digs. "Hard, grunt, Hard", it's a dig for him. He doesn't just listen for nice unmitigated high tones. Me thinks, you recognize many of the signals he digs.

I believe guys who really spend time hunting and have been doing it a long time can out hunt guys with more expensive detectors. I've seen it happen too many times in my club.

John, how many years have you been detecting ? Christmas makes 5 years for me. The reason I ask is, my main hunting buddy who is younger than me, has been detecting for many years. In my club I'm considered one of the better hunters but my buddy smokes me. Rarely do I beat him in a hunt. There's certain "wompy" signals he digs. "Hard, grunt, Hard", it's a dig for him. He doesn't just listen for nice unmitigated high tones. Me thinks, you recognize many of the signals he digs.

I believe guys who really spend time hunting and have been doing it a long time can out hunt guys with more expensive detectors. I've seen it happen too many times in my club.

I've been at it for about 22-23 years. I hunt year round. Winter = tobaggan hills, spring = woods for relics (before the druggies move in), summer = coin, jewelry and water hunting and fall = coins jewelry,woods hunting (after the druggies have left) and water hunting till freeze up.

This year I started prospecting for gold, as my gold ring finds are diminishing quite a bit.

I love being physically active. :)

What types of hunting do you do? Have you gone through a bunch of detectors too?

Anyone else?

Below is one of the physiotherapists I used to work with.....she got her first 2 dollar coin on a snow hill.

Attachments

• firsttoonie.jpg
    firsttoonie.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 166
I hunt lots where houses have been torn down. Fields where schools once stood. Those are my favorite. I hunt the beach, I live about 30 minutes from the nearest beach. We have a million parks in Houston but I only park hunt a couple of times a year.

I began with an ACE 350 package from Kellyco. Still have it and use it, to date it has found my largest gold ring. Yes, I've been through many detectors as I like to try different things. However, that 350 will never leave my stable. I don't care if they develop a detector that shows you what your digging on a screen. That 350 got me addicted to this hobby and I'm forever grateful.

I hunt lots where houses have been torn down. Fields where schools once stood. Those are my favorite. I hunt the beach, I live about 30 minutes from the nearest beach. We have a million parks in Houston but I only park hunt a couple of times a year.

I began with an ACE 350 package from Kellyco. Still have it and use it, to date it has found my largest gold ring. Yes, I've been through many detectors as I like to try different things. However, that 350 will never leave my stable. I don't care if they develop a detector that shows you what your digging on a screen. That 350 got me addicted to this hobby and I'm forever grateful.

Cool! I was in Houston many years ago. Six of us, 3 guys & 3 gals (all just friends) did a 2 week trip in a station wagon. I will always remember how well Houston was designed, with that ring road. At that time, it was said that after 5 PM, downtown was dead. We did do a trip in the evening to check it out, and sure enough, you could have rolled bowling balls down the main streets. Not sure if it is still like that today. We hit a few bars, got drunk a few times and stayed at an acquaintance's who was a Registered Nurse originally from Canada. I too still take out my ACE! I remember buying a 9" x 12" concentric coil for it and just killing sports fields with it. With that coil, it was deeper then the GTI 1500.

I spoke with a jewelry store owner a few years back, and he said that since gold increased it's value considerably several years ago, his sales of gold rings in general had dropped about 30%. That's one of the reasons gold rings are harder to get, so, I took up prospecting. The North Saskatchewan River flows through downtown Edmonton, and there is flour gold pretty well everywhere in the gravels, which gets replenished each year with high water from the snow melts.

I checked out gold bearing streams in Texas, and there are some . Here's a link:

https://www.goldrushnuggets.com/goldintexas.html

You will never get rich, but the sight of that gold glistening in the pan is just beautiful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_vOLmEmcqc

Cool! I was in Houston many years ago. Six of us, 3 guys & 3 gals (all just friends) did a 2 week trip in a station wagon. I will always remember how well Houston was designed, with that ring road. At that time, it was said that after 5 PM, downtown was dead. We did do a trip in the evening to check it out, and sure enough, you could have rolled bowling balls down the main streets. Not sure if it is still like that today. We hit a few bars, got drunk a few times and stayed at an acquaintance's who was a Registered Nurse originally from Canada. I too still take out my ACE! I remember buying a 9" x 12" concentric coil for it and just killing sports fields with it. With that coil, it was deeper then the GTI 1500.

I spoke with a jewelry store owner a few years back, and he said that since gold increased it's value considerably several years ago, his sales of gold rings in general had dropped about 30%. That's one of the reasons gold rings are harder to get, so, I took up prospecting. The North Saskatchewan River flows through downtown Edmonton, and there is flour gold pretty well everywhere in the gravels, which gets replenished each year with high water from the snow melts.

I checked out gold bearing streams in Texas, and there are some . Here's a link:

https://www.goldrushnuggets.com/goldintexas.html

You will never get rich, but the sight of that gold glistening in the pan is just beautiful!

Well John, things have changed a bit since you visited. That road ring is Loop 610. We now have another road ring called Beltway 8. It's a long drive all the way around and dwarfs Loop 610. It's a toll road. Now they are building another road ring that will dwarf Beltway 8.

As far as people....SHAKING MY HEAD. This place is so populated. Year before last a 1000 people a week were moving here. There's people everywhere. Even on the weekends the freeways are congested. That said the freeway system is laid out very well.

Annnnnd with the population being what it is, there's a lot of people who detect. There is a guy who just retired and closed his metal detecting store. His name is Billy Alexander. He's in our club. You've seen him before. In fact anyone who has bought a new AT Pro has seen his picture. That's him on the AT Pro box. I honestly believe Billy could use his finger and beat most detectorist today. He has stories by the miles. He has finds that make you want to cry in awe. Heck of a nice guy as well. He's been all over detecting. He knew Charles Garrett personally and hunted with him many times.

Thank you for the links. Appreciate it.

Last edited:
Hey John! I remember you used to show a Canadian penny as your '100,000 coin found' ...that was a few years back.....I bet you are approaching or have surpassed 130k coins by now? Just as an encouragement/inspiration to how much money is laying around out there for the noobs to contemplate the possibilities in their AO's?

Here you are up in Edmonton and finding this amount of dropped coins? So where you at with your Lifetime coin count if I may inquire??

Hey John! I remember you used to show a Canadian penny as your '100,000 coin found' ...that was a few years back.....I bet you are approaching or have surpassed 130k coins by now? Just as an encouragement/inspiration to how much money is laying around out there for the noobs to contemplate the possibilities in their AO's?

Here you are up in Edmonton and finding this amount of dropped coins? So where you at with your Lifetime coin count if I may inquire??

You know......I've been meaning to update my count. Give me some time and I will do it!

Attachments

• cdac8e1f16568ecb_m.jpg
    cdac8e1f16568ecb_m.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 128
Cool! I spoke with a jewelry store owner a few years back, and he said that since gold increased it's value considerably several years ago, his sales of gold rings in general had dropped about 30%. That's one of the reasons gold rings are harder to get, so, I took up prospecting. The North Saskatchewan River flows through downtown Edmonton, and there is flour gold pretty well everywhere in the gravels, which gets replenished each year with high water from the snow melts.

Yes the flour is pretty and I have some, plus nuggets from my uncles mine. Never looked anywhere else except on the market. A chat with the metals guy I buy from a few weeks ago said they would not be shocked if gold dropped to 1125 during 2019 but expected it to close higher than 1275 at the end of 2019. Not sure how good their crystal ball is but I'm holding off on gold and thinking about adding silver in the mean time. Your jewler may get a bump up in '19.

Yes the flour is pretty and I have some, plus nuggets from my uncles mine. Never looked anywhere else except on the market. A chat with the metals guy I buy from a few weeks ago said they would not be shocked if gold dropped to 1125 during 2019 but expected it to close higher than 1275 at the end of 2019. Not sure how good their crystal ball is but I'm holding off on gold and thinking about adding silver in the mean time. Your jewler may get a bump up in '19.

I would surely welcome an increase in gold jewelry, but silver is second. Having a natural gold source and lots of areas to detect for jewelry should hopeful produce a good 2019 year.

Merry Christmas to you and your family. Hove you continue with good health, good friends and good finds!

Attachments

• a9.gif
    a9.gif
    43.1 KB · Views: 98
At pro is my top choice for sure, for me I just understand the tones and icon and number vdi is a great combo to decide to dig or not.

My AT Pro was my top choice for 3 years. But got the Equinox bug this spring like many others. Sold the AT Pro to help pay for the 800. I was not prepared for the 800 sounding like a marching band by reporting every little speck of metalic object. It took a while to learn how to really quiet the beast and allow it to do its work for me as it was designed. I just cannot imagine a newbie to the hobby buying an 800 and not giving up in a couple of weeks. You really have to learn more about metal detecting and the 800 to tame it. Now, I find it a quite remarkable machine. On this machine your really need to practice your audio recognition via your proper settings, meter readings and your swing techniques like the cross or zig zag swing. Even still, like any other machine you should dig the iffy targets because nearby objects or mineralization can bring the signal down considerably.

My AT Pro was my top choice for 3 years. But got the Equinox bug this spring like many others. Sold the AT Pro to help pay for the 800. I was not prepared for the 800 sounding like a marching band by reporting every little speck of metalic object. It took a while to learn how to really quiet the beast and allow it to do its work for me as it was designed. I just cannot imagine a newbie to the hobby buying an 800 and not giving up in a couple of weeks. You really have to learn more about metal detecting and the 800 to tame it. Now, I find it a quite remarkable machine. On this machine your really need to practice your audio recognition via your proper settings, meter readings and your swing techniques like the cross or zig zag swing. Even still, like any other machine you should dig the iffy targets because nearby objects or mineralization can bring the signal down considerably.

I run mine in 5 tone, 50 is pretty confusing.
The Nox vdi #s are nice and tight so it gives me accurate info.
I like both At pro and Nox , just been using Nox much more.

Back
Top Bottom