At pro coil??

Wesb

I have a Garrett at pro that has the stock coil on it. I was considering trying out the 5x8 coil but was curious just how much depth would I be giving up and coverage would I lose?. I’ve read so many positive posts as well as negative about the smaller coil. I hunt pretty much every condition between trashy sites to not very trashy open fields. I guess my question is would the 125 dollar purchase be worth it? What do u at pro users recommend?

Use the stock coil in the open field less trashy areas. For trashy parks and totlots the 5x8 is a must have. Since all I hunt is trashy areas I use the 5x8 exclusively. I doubt you’ll be able to tell much difference in depth.
Just my opinion, but seems to be the general consensus forum wide.

I started with the stock coil on my Max. Then I got a NEL Storm (huge coil...makes my shoulder and wrist ache after a couple of hours and pinpointing is difficult). Then I got a NEL Snake (tiny, like swinging nothing). Then I got the Garrett 5x8". I haven't taken the 5x8" off since I got it. I've dug shotgun shell headstamps at 10", coins at 6-8", sardine cans at 12-14" (I hunt parks and sports complexes and my county LOVES to dump fill dirt over everything!). If you are plain relic hunting, you might not have the depth that you want or need with the 5x8", but I'd wager that you'd have enough for 99% of your hunts.

Coming up on 4700 coins and I've found 33 rings, plus a lot of silver jewelry since I got into the hobby 8 months ago, most of it with the 5x8" coil. And it won't wear your arm out. I think that you'd be pleased with it.

If you're not in a hurry, look on Craigslist or Ebay. I found a new open-box 5x8 DD coil on Ebay for $90 including shipping.

Love my 5x8 and it is on 80% of the time. In trashy parks/schools/forts and tot lots it is great. I only use the stock coil when hunting large open fields or parks known to have very deep targets.

For me it is well worth it!

Thanks guys! It’s close to Christmas so I think I may just have to get myself a 5x8 present!

I have been using the 5x8 for many seasons... EXCELLENT coil! But just last week, I was hunting a field and finding 6-8" flat buttons and injuns. I keep saying in my head that all the heavier stuff might be a little deeper, so maybe I should try a slightly bigger coil...havent decided which coil I should go with. I borrowed a friends 15" NEL coil and felt it was way more than I needed. Probably pick up a used 8.5x11 eventually. Good luck with your decision!

Back
Top Bottom