Somebody done Gettysburg wrong

Plus how do they know its from a person? Some animals could of dug stuff up. I hate it, everytime they see holes, they have to think its a person, when it could of been a animal

A storm is coming. :windy:

Archaeological Resources Protection Act of 2012 is around the corner.

I think there are some of us that venture into grey areas, unknowingly I hope, when it comes to MDing and where we do it at but IMHO if you have a doubt, don't do it!

As far as battle grounds go, many detectorist venture into old battle grounds and pull spent rounds, badges, pins and all types of relics. But the fact is that many battle grounds also second as graves and deserve respect. Sometimes a little bit of knowledge about where your swinging is enough to turn something that's acceptable into something that's wrong.

If you say "A battle happened here, there are many relics out here from that period." hunters grab a machine and start swinging.

If you say "A battle happened here, there are soldiers at rest here." most people remove their hat and offer a moment of silence in respect before moving on.

But with Gettysburg ignorance is no excuse. If anyone is looking for reasons to put an end to this hobby jack@$$'s like that are going to be the one to give it to them.

Or it was a raccoon like mikie said.

get real

Plus how do they know its from a person? Some animals could of dug stuff up. I hate it, everytime they see holes, they have to think its a person, when it could of been a animal

With the ground hard as rock now, it would have been a helluva of an animal. Let's face it, this happens all the time,guys have been caught at night, in camo or any other way you can be sneaky & steel relics. Where ther's money to be made, there's larceny.

A storm is coming. :windy:

Archaeological Resources Protection Act of 2012 is around the corner.

I think there are some of us that venture into grey areas, unknowingly I hope, when it comes to MDing and where we do it at but IMHO if you have a doubt, don't do it!

As far as battle grounds go, many detectorist venture into old battle grounds and pull spent rounds, badges, pins and all types of relics. But the fact is that many battle grounds also second as graves and deserve respect. Sometimes a little bit of knowledge about where your swinging is enough to turn something that's acceptable into something that's wrong.

If you say "A battle happened here, there are many relics out here from that period." hunters grab a machine and start swinging.

If you say "A battle happened here, there are soldiers at rest here." most people remove their hat and offer a moment of silence in respect before moving on.

But with Gettysburg ignorance is no excuse. If anyone is looking for reasons to put an end to this hobby jack@$$'s like that are going to be the one to give it to them.

Or it was a raccoon like mikie said.

I've been to gettesburg and stood there when a tour was going on to hear about it.....im a md'er and also love fossils but id not even pick up a pennt dropped there, its like hastings, or stonehenge.....you have to respect some places beyond their mear being ground.

People without the common sense to know there are some places you dont dig and then think because they are there its allowed are fools who should pay for their ignorance, and if simple looters then treated even harsher.

I get permission from the schools, town councils, parks and rec and people....id never set foot on a sports field let alone a historically important piece of land...i knwo these are hard times for some but a thief with a metal detector does not become a detectorist any more then a person with a gun is a bank robber

I've been to gettesburg and stood there when a tour was going on to hear about it.....im a md'er and also love fossils but id not even pick up a pennt dropped there, its like hastings, or stonehenge.....you have to respect some places beyond their mear being ground.

People without the common sense to know there are some places you dont dig and then think because they are there its allowed are fools who should pay for their ignorance, and if simple looters then treated even harsher.

I get permission from the schools, town councils, parks and rec and people....id never set foot on a sports field let alone a historically important piece of land...i knwo these are hard times for some but a thief with a metal detector does not become a detectorist any more then a person with a gun is a bank robber

Exactly, I agree. I wasn't defending what was done, I was saying that respect should not be limited to only historical areas with a "Don't Do It" sign but any time you have the nagging voice in your head saying "This may not be a good idea" then leave the detector in the car or head somewhere else if you feel the urge to swing somewhere. The fact that it was Gettysburg, a location where right or wrong shouldn't even be a question, makes it an even worst slap in the face.

The only debatable interjection I offered was that I believe that similar events happen more commonly that we like to admit simply due to not studying up on where your going, or maybe even a more innocent of a situation where history never recorded it and we end up hunting in a location that deserved more respect then we gave it.

A coin and relic hunter hobbyist or any metal detector hobbyist defiantly should not be compared to a looter or grave robber armed with a metal detector. Looters deserve :jail:

This really upsets me as I live a close distance to Gettysburg. Within the last month or so, something similar happened at the Monocacy battlefield here in Frederick also.

This makes it more difficult for the rest of us.

This, if done by a metal detector enthusiast, doesn't really surprise me. Been reading quite a few posts where people think that because they pay their tax dollars, sites should be game for digging, regardless what is posted or told to them by a representative of the school or park. Anytime the ordinances are dismissed, a black eye is given to our hobby just creating more areas to be banned.

On the Yahoo news thread, one lady warned any "outsider looking for gold." Nice that it brings out those who think it's okay to roll out the blank stereotypes.

I also agree that national parks, especially of a historic nature, should be respected.

Back
Top Bottom