Using Etrac 2 tone ferrous flawed somewhat

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
I read where folks use this to hunt with their Etrac detectors. It is somewhat flawed though and a person could infact be missing some detectable targets.

Two tone ferrous has the tone break assigned to 17 on the ferrous scale.

So anything reading a higher ferrous number than 17 will report low tone, not higher tone.

I have had many instances of digging coins where this ferrous number would never read/report lower than 17 on any sweeps of the coil over coins.

This higher ferrous number based on my experiences was caused by higher levels of minerals in the soil, an overall deeper target, or targets (coins) colocated with iron/nails, or a combination.

I have dug 2 targets with etrac w/ 10x12 sef coil that read 27 on the ferrous line. One a silver ring the other a seated dime. The site where these 2 targets were exhumed was not higher mineral ground, but the site was part of a old town since been moved. (circa1800). A lot of nails and rust noted in the soil when even digging other targets. This possible 27 ferrous reading on a good nonferrous target is talked about in Mr Sabisch's explorer /etrac book.

Granted hunting in areas with lots of nails 2TF may help a person hear some good targets better.

Just be mindful using 2 tone ferrous, you may not hear some of the deeper good targets.

What about 4 tone ferrous???
If a person can learn to decipher the lowest tone from the next higher 4TF has a better chance to provide tone on some of the targets in areas like I described above. It's hard for me to decipher so I don't like 4TF. And with the tone break level set at 30, bigger iron can produce higher tone than the lowest tone.

Remember hunting in areas with lower soil mineralization you may in fact be able to run 2TF and still get the higher tone, even on the deeper targets.

You may even while in 2TF get a high tone on one sweep and a low on another sweep. Users will notice the ferrous # does windshield wipe at times when sweeping targets.

If Minelab would have set the 2TF tone break to around 25/27 would have been nice.

This is where the CTX shines over the Etrac. The tone break on CTX is adjustable for ferrous as well as conductive.

I do favor the conductive tones on the Etrac vs CTX though.

Cheers

It is almost hilarious that only hours after I post that I find the E Trac to perform better in iron than the Racer, you feel the need to post something criticizing the E Trac. I do not think this post was made to inform but rather to try to fulfill that void left by a review you did not agree with.
If you actually spent as much time detecting as you did posting you would need to buy a bigger house to keep all your finds. If you want to impress me, GO OUT AND DETECT! Post some finds, post some videos of you and your buddies out having a great time digging targets. That's what it is all about, developing friendships, unearthing history and just plain enjoying the hobby. Not arguing on the internet as to who has the best machine or who has the most experience.

Just curious, how many hours (actual hunting not testing) do you have on the E Trac?
So the throngs of users stating that open screen TTF is a good set up are all mistaken? That's funny because as soon as I started using that set up my finds pile got a bit bigger. Perhaps Andy Sabbich should retire and let you write the next book.

Just curious, how many hours (actual hunting not testing) do you have on the E Trac?

I used etrac for 3 years. From 1 Nov until 31 Mar I would hunt 8 hours a day 6 days a week. In the late spring and summer I would hunt around 4-5 hours a day when the hay was cut of the fields and other sites after they were freshly mowed.
All time noted above is coil swinging time and target retrieval time. Not time spent going to and from sites.
I posted some of my finds and findings on another forum.

After the 3 year point I moved to CTX. And have put in several hours on it. It is deeper than Etrac---although some don't think so. Key setting is ground coin, not ferrous coin. Not much deeper but deeper nonetheless. Better separator as well.

Choppa,
Have you detected in the southern, southeast USA. Far fewer coins handled vs midwest, northeast back in the day so fewer lost.
Poorer folks on average.

And talking about a detector and pointing out a few things is not demoralizing a detector---rather it's called realizing one's detector capabilities. This is one reason I guess the changes were incorporated into the CTX.

I also posted about this years ago.
http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,24689,24698

The reason to use ttf is to free up the processor... If you use four tones your're back to slowing it down in the iron again.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

The reason to use ttf is to free up the processor... If you use four tones your're back to slowing it down in the iron again.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

You are correct, but what I said above is correct also.
Target providing higher than normal ferrous # will report low tone not higher tone. Hence a person may walk and not dig.

And granted in the worst of iron, deeper depths may not be achievable anyway.

You are correct, but what I said above is correct also.
Target providing higher than normal ferrous # will report low tone not higher tone. Hence a person may walk and not dig.

And granted in the worst of iron, deeper depths may not be achievable anyway.

Cool you let him know he was correct in his remark, but HILARIOUS you had to point out your very own correctness when it was never in question... :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Choppadude

Agree, funny that he used the E-trac so long , 3 years :laughing: 6 days a week, but has only been detecting 5 years , when he has all the other machines he claims are so much better, it's only obvious that he only wants to cause conflict on here, words of wisdom , another dead end road, going here just get's more people :mad:, when is the kayos going to end :roll: most of us by the way hunt in conductive, Cheers , Ps Choppadude I missed the Racer review, to much gap, post the review I missed it :lol:

Anyone hear anything on the Deus? We should talk about the Deus... This thread is starting to feel like it should be a Deus thread... Let's talk about te Deus and ignore the Etrac stuff for now.

Anyone hear anything on the Deus? We should talk about the Deus... This thread is starting to feel like it should be a Deus thread... Let's talk about te Deus and ignore the Etrac stuff for now.

If you want to talk about the Deus, start a thread of your own or join one of the already existing threads.

Why do you always want to pollute threads--always trying to be so off topic.

Some folks may have or will benefit from the info I supplied in the lead post of this thread.

If you want to talk about the Deus, start a thread of your own or join one of the already existing threads.

Why do you always want to pollute threads--always trying to be so off topic.

Some folks may have or will benefit from the info I supplied in the lead post of this thread.

OH YEAH?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

Ahahahahahahhahahahaha Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahahhahhahaahhaha

Pot...kettle...black...

So the DEUS is completely wireless unlike the Etrac correct? There, on topic in a very vague manor

You know... not a big fan of the WS4 phones for the Deus, but like them more than the UR-30's that you would find on the Etrac. Or do I? Heck, I don't know. Maybe it's the weight of the Deus vrs the Etrac, but I like the CTX, so maybe it's a Whites thing? Gosh, I just don't know... I think we should figure this out.

TN: I need your expert opinion. What do you think? Mix the two and run A TTF type program on the Deus and then you win twice?

You know... not a big fan of the WS4 phones for the Deus, but like them more than the UR-30's that you would find on the Etrac. Or do I? Heck, I don't know. Maybe it's the weight of the Deus vrs the Etrac, but I like the CTX, so maybe it's a Whites thing? Gosh, I just don't know... I think we should figure this out.

TN: I need your expert opinion. What do you think? Mix the two and run A TTF type program on the Deus and then you win twice?

No detector expert here, but I am perceptive enough to notice you seem to be arguing with yourself in your post. Keep at it you'll eventually figure it out.

Whatever Swing....

We already know what machine is REPLACING the AT PRO, DOMINATING the DEUS F75, Etrac and CTX3030

C'mon man try to keep up...he already told you what one will dominate the industry. Haven't you been paying attention? Duh

Well seems some here have been misinformed.
IMO
For deep turf coin hunting in areas of moderate to clean ground=CTX/Etrac/Explorer series; especially in ground with medium to higher minerals.

For the worst of sites with nails/iron=F75/Racer/CoRe/Tesoro/Deus/White's

Now I haven't run all detectors, and there are other good performers.
And price is a factor too. Do you always get what you pay for??? Sometimes

But each detector for the most part does have its own strengths and weaknesses.

And me posting above doesn't mean for example an etrac won't find a coin in heavy iron, or that a Deus for example won't find a deep coin in clean ground in a park. Lots of shades of gray when it comes to detecting.

The AT Pro for the $$$$ is a nice detector too. This opinion of mine is based solely on what I have read about the detector. And I have read a great deal about it. I do see parallels in a lot of other folks opinions---this is what I look for, when formulating my own opinion---if I don't have any experience with said detector.

Back
Top Bottom