Finally broke into the 1800's today!

nathanatfork

Until today, my oldest coin to date was a 1919 wheat penny(which IVe found several of including another today, lol)

Went out today and hit a new area of the old church/schoolhouse site Ive searched several times before. Had an older gentleman stop by while I was hunting and he told me he's 72 and went to school in the long gone scool house when he was in the 1st and 2nd grade. He pointed me to the CORRECT spot the schoolhouse was. Its several hundered yards from where I thought it was. So, I headed over to that area.

Hunted for three hours.

Found

1940 wheat penny (in the spot I was hunting at first)
1929 wheat penny
1919 wheat penny
AND
1892-o Barber dime! My first 18xx coin! Beat my oldest by 27 years!

Also, this is my third silver dime from this spot and they have been a silver rosie, Merc and now a barber.

I cant wait to get back over there and hit the new area more. Didn't find any clad or any modern trash, it was all old pulltabs and old cans.

IMG_1199_zps39e98d13.jpg

IMG_1189_zps79c55fa4.jpg

IMG_1194_zpsc8b12453.jpg

Went back out this evening with my 12yo daughter to another spot IVe been saving for her as I had a really good feeling about it. Well, we only got to hunt for an hour before the batteries in my at pro went bad. So, only decent find was this token

token shows a deer head on one side with "play money" across the top and "Falsa ??cunia" on the bottom. The other side has a big "50" with "Uncle Sam ??49" on top and "Play ?A?? Buck" on the bottom. Made out of aluminum

IMG_1201_zps5bb7cd11.jpg

IMG_1200_zpsf61ace4d.jpg

Nice finds. The word on the play money is "pecunia", Latin for money. (4 years of high school Latin) Congrats.

Back
Top Bottom