quick hits

rfaatalrashid

other than my backyard, (which is right now non-existent) where are public places i can almost always count on to be able to metal detect and not feel like im being watched or like the cops are gonna pop out of the bushes and nail me? obviously im new, but ive been doing alot of research as far as what places to go and ask permission from as far as relic hunting, but just for coinshooting etc what are some places that you guys never get hassled about when you're there? anytime ive contacted a person in any official capacity for a place, they usually say surface detecting is ok. . .but then they give me the impression that the minute i displace any dirt i am committing a morally reprehensible act. maybe thats just my impression but. . .any surefire places from you guys would sure be great to put in my hip pocket. . .thanks.

Go to the schools and tot lots,nobody should mind.Go to the schools on saterday or sunday in the morning.Do not go to the schools during school hours.Lots of coins at the school around the play areas:yes:

Yep, like bassgreg said , go to your schools and tot lots early and late when not many people would be around. Same for any public area , and try to keep a low profile without appearing as if you are sneaking around. Try to avoid attracting attention to yourself and dig with your back to any direction where someone may see you from. As long as these areas are not posted then you are not doing anything illegal but some people may see it that way and its best to just stay out of their view. Its inevitable tho , eventually a nosey person will walk up to you and say you cant do that or ask you to leave , its happened to almost everybody. It can be embarassing but you get over it. Usually if you act like you are supposed to be there though nobody will mess with you.

Hi all, I agree with you guys. im also fairly new to metal detecting. One thing I think ive learned is you cant be shy. That was a obstacke I had to overcome. Just ut on your headphones and hunt those public areas. as long as your not leaving visible signs of damage then nobody has the right to say anything to you on public lands where it is legal. You are enjoying your hobby on property you pay taxes on. Just like the person walking there dog or the parent letting there kids play on the swingset. Oh by the way some dog walkers leave more damage than we do, Ive stepped in some of it on occasion(LOL.). AS far as private property I think alot of it is in the approach. Make sure your well mannered and clean cut and dressed half way respectable. No body wants charles mansion running around on there property. Also try to approach property owners at the right time. I mean not on sunday, that is family time and not during dinner time. I also believe in person when ever you can. Also practice describing your hobby in the right way for example try not to use the word dig if possible. I try to say cut a plug not dig a plug or hole. bottom line is asking permission is like asking girls out in high school, if one out of five say yes then your in like flynn. Also like girls in high school theres going to be some rejection more times then not.(LOL). just my opinion. I am new and big learning exp. Thank you

pointer80

First, get over your shyness - yes, people will be looking at you - that is a fact. Second, if in doubt, consult your local police - I did - and they were very helpful. Third, if in a public place, act responsible by picking up the trash you dig (even some you see laying on top of the ground) and it will give a good impression. Fourth, if you want to MD private property, (as said above) be sure to look presentable, speak clearly, describe what you are doing, a small 'business card' with your name on it and some nice words like, ethical detector, removes trash found, leaves the site as found etc always makes a nice impression. It can even lead to more sites by references. Fifth, smile, be pleasant, if a belligerant is encountered, walk away. RickO

I go to parks and if there is a sign with the park rules on it, and it doesn't mention metal detecting, then I go at it, following all the good practices mentioned above. Also check the parks' website to see if a permit is required. I stay off of athletic fields also, but I do check the sidelines.

I had the same question until I joined a metal detecting club. They can tell you exactly where you aren't/are allowed to hunt in your area. I bet you have some excellent clubs in your area.

I had the same question until I joined a metal detecting club. They can tell you exactly where you aren't/are allowed to hunt in your area. I bet you have some excellent clubs in your area.

Sure, so long as they can point to actual specific rules . And not just "someone 20 yrs. ago asked "can I?" and we've passed along this info. now member to member ever since. Because go figure that some clubs could have overly-skittish members. Who might paint a dire-picture of something silly.

I actually saw this type evolution of supposed off-limits places near me via club members. And 20 yrs. later , a few people are standing around asking each other: "says who?" and "where is that written?", etc.....

Sure, so long as they can point to actual specific rules . And not just "someone 20 yrs. ago asked "can I?" and we've passed along this info. now member to member ever since. Because go figure that some clubs could have overly-skittish members. Who might paint a dire-picture of something silly.

I actually saw this type evolution of supposed off-limits places near me via club members. And 20 yrs. later , a few people are standing around asking each other: "says who?" and "where is that written?", etc.....
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it is in the best interest of most established, dues collecting clubs to keep their members in the good graces of the communities in which the live and detect. It could be that there are club directors and board members who are uninterested in keeping their clubs respectable but I think if he were to stick to long established clubs he would get good advice on where he can and cannot hunt without permission.

Back
Top Bottom