Atpro newbie, tons of signals, not iron

Robespierre

Ground balancing so that's not the issue. Using factory set coin pro, iron disc 35, iron audio off. Hunting my 1770's farm and getting so many hits all over the place constantly. So many hits per square foot that I can't tell which is what most of the time or where to dig. Any ideas about this? I've got about 10 hrs on the Atpro now, but I've got a lot to learn obviously.

Just came back from a friend's 1860s farmhouse and didn't have the sheer density of signals I'm getting at my place. Is there something I can do? The sensitivity is all but the last two, like i said I'm using the straight factory coin pro setting.

Could be the site and there is just a ton of iron in the ground. I'd try learning somewhere with a little less trash until you understand what the machine is telling you. There is one site I've tried a few times with ATP where I swear they just burned down 3 blocks of houses and bulldozen everything left into the ground. The ATP sounds like a machine gun going off there is so much iron.

Well the property isn't like that trash wise. And I don't think it's iron because of my 35 iron disc. It's just say I'll get an avg of 4-5 signals per square foot. Now this isn't everywhere, but in the most promising areas(highly traveled for 200 yrs) and obviously those are the spots I want to hunt the most lol :lol:

Get down on your knees with your pin pointer and start extracting the trash..
Could be clinkers.. coal coke.. rings up like good stuff..

Having been a newbie with the ATP I think I can help.

What you may be hearing could be mineralization. This happens to me often. One place is as quiet as a mouse the next is as noisy as a firing range. Try the following. Bury a coin in the same place you experienced the false Targets. You should easily hear the difference.

Make sure your coil connection is tight. When new the connection can be difficult to tighten and comes loose. Tighten, wiggle it in and tighten again. Use your fingers.

What you think are targets is most likely chatter. The ATP is known for chatter. Real targets will sound better, but you will need some experience. Don't give up. Took me much longer than usual to become good.

1. Ground Balance. Over clean ground. In areas with a lot of targets try lowering the sensitivity down to 1 bar, ground balance by pumping the machine slowly until quiet, or as quiet as you can get it, then raise the sensitivity back to full.

2. Frequency Shift. I haven't yet tried it, but have been told by a couple ATP users it can make a big difference.

3. If these don't work reduce the sensitivity.

Try hunting in pro zero mode with no discrimination. Listen to where the iron is. You'll hear it grunting. High tones could just be big iron too, you need to listen around them.

I would start detecting in the areas where there are less signals - - you can still find some great stuff out there! You never know where you'll find something. Once you get the hang of pro zero mode (by spending hours digging targets) you can move into the trashy/iron infested areas. Good luck.

Ground balancing so that's not the issue. Using factory set coin pro, iron disc 35, iron audio off. Hunting my 1770's farm and getting so many hits all over the place constantly. So many hits per square foot that I can't tell which is what most of the time or where to dig. Any ideas about this? I've got about 10 hrs on the Atpro now, but I've got a lot to learn obviously.

Just came back from a friend's 1860s farmhouse and didn't have the sheer density of signals I'm getting at my place. Is there something I can do? The sensitivity is all but the last two, like i said I'm using the straight factory coin pro setting.

if its junk makin that many signals all over, i cant imagine you found a good spot to GB

There is tons of coal ash all over, I had no idea that could cause signals! That could definitely be it. And I decided to head away from the buildings earlier and there is def little to no chatter. Dug an old spoon and some 45 acp shells, a makeup case and a clad dime. So it may be that there is a lot of trash, but everything I've dug has been old trash, like tin mason jar lids.

I suggest iron disc maxed at 40 + reject to 50 on disc, to increase chances of rejecting large junk. ID #s & beeps are based on coin-sized objects, but farms almost always have larger metal objects. Also, you might be helped by a smaller coil. Farmers would not have money in their pockets unless they were about to go into town, or to pay farm hands, which may or may not have included coins. Best wishes, George (MN)

Get down on your knees with your pin pointer and start extracting the trash..
Could be clinkers.. coal coke.. rings up like good stuff..

I second this idea. Often, people would throw coal waste out in the yard or somewhere on the property. I run into them frequently and sometimes it seems the entire yard is "infected", and yes, they will give you some of the best reports you've ever heard.

Trash can really play games with you. I have an area that is littered with old roofing nails. Roofing nails are zinc plated and with just the right amount of rust will ring in high with my AT PRO. Once I dig the nail up and run it past the PRO it will then come in as an iron signal. I think the Halo effect is coming into play in my situation. Just be aware that if you run your iron discrim too high, at least on my Pro it will knock out a silver dime that is next to the nail. In a several of cases I have found silver dimes next to a roofing nail. So in this area with all the roofing nails I have no choice but run dicrim at 25 and to dig all the high signals. I've dug hundreds of roofing nails but have had silver finds to.

There is tons of coal ash all over, I had no idea that could cause signals! That could definitely be it. And I decided to head away from the buildings earlier and there is def little to no chatter. Dug an old spoon and some 45 acp shells, a makeup case and a clad dime. So it may be that there is a lot of trash, but everything I've dug has been old trash, like tin mason jar lids.

Coal sends my at crazy.

Back
Top Bottom