• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Detector industry should consider (smart/modular) detectors

I just gave you the reason for the battery weight; it's all about ergonomics. Its not my opinion, it's what ML's designers said when all these questions came out at the release.

Deus is a great machine, but it's not a Minelab. I would wager if you disected a CTX, you wouldn't find any wasted space. I think they are as light as their design allows. What do the two companies do different? I wish I had the money to tear them both apart and compare!

All I know right now is that I have no problem swinging a CTX, and it is the deepest and most accurate detector I have owned in 32 years.

I agree "as light as their design allows".

But if their design would have been different so might the weight.

And if the specs I used earlier are correct, CTX weight= AT Pro and Deus weight combined. Something about that---just don't make sense. And this with batteries and coils in/on all.

I agree "as light as their design allows".

But if their design would have been different so might the weight.

And if the specs I used earlier are correct, CTX weight= AT Pro and Deus weight combined. Something about that---just don't make sense. And this with batteries and coils in/on all.

Don't know about all that.... but I know my CTX is better for deep silver than the ATP and I can throw my CTX in the lake and keep detecting. Try that with a DEUS. :laughing:

Yes, it's heavier but it also does things that no other machine can do.

Precisely what this would do---breed brand loyalty. The detector needs to be good from the start though.

Extended warranty programs could be offered as well. Fisher did this when they upgraded their F75 detectors.

Surprised that Minelab and White's don't offer extended warranty. Seems every time I buy something electronic at wally world, even things not that expensive, they try and sell me an extended warranty.

You notice the extended warranty stopped when the detectors went to digital. It is easy to offer extended warranty on non or simple electronic items, but when you throw in higher end electronics, digital screens then add rain, water, user abuse the extended warranties become a losing proposition to manufacturers.

Also, there is an after market coil made for the CTX3030 by Coiltec, it is the 10x5 DD...

I'm with Jason, don't think the idea is really feasible or profitable for manufacturers, this is a limited market.....

You notice the extended warranty stopped when the detectors went to digital. It is easy to offer extended warranty on non or simple electronic items, but when you throw in higher end electronics, digital screens then add rain, water, user abuse the extended warranties become a losing proposition to manufacturers.

Also, there is an after market coil made for the CTX3030 by Coiltec, it is the 10x5 DD...

I'm with Jason, don't think the idea is really feasible or profitable for manufacturers, this is a limited market.....

I thought the Coiltek coil for CTX was a joint venture, I know the coil wasn't available at time of detector release. So the Coiltek coil is available, but not totally a pure aftermarket in a sense. I also expect to see something similar on future new Minelab flagship releases. Can't say that I blame them.

I thought the Coiltek coil for CTX was a joint venture, I know the coil wasn't available at time of detector release. So the Coiltek coil is available, but not totally a pure aftermarket in a sense. I also expect to see something similar on future new Minelab flagship releases. Can't say that I blame them.
Coiltec used to produce ALL of Minelabs coils, when Minelab started making them in house Coiltec branched out to other manufacturers. It has been out for awhile and is available on Kellyco's website so I'm sure others are also selling it....

I wonder sometimes if a true poll could have been taken as far as wireless detectors go. A poll taken before knowledge of XP Deus.

What would have been revealed?? There are folks now that still prefer wired detectors, and that's understandable.

But now looking the Deus seems to be a success.

And I suspect many even some detectorists who were electrical engineers and such would have said impossible or not feasible to accomplish. (battery and electronics in coil would distort operation or make it impossible)

And I also suspect some would have said even if doable with the wireless, the develop of such detector wouldn't be cost effective--meaning R &D and manufacturing cost would price such detector out of the market.

And remember the Deus not only works (detects metal) but is an extraordinary performer of sorts; especially for the coil sizes available.

And it didn't take Xp long to change their warranty period to 5 years either. And Deus is not waterproof either.
This IMO should be the gold standard warranty for flagship detectors.

Yes, but there are trade-offs. The coil must have it's own battery so that is one more thing you have to charge, and can go dead during a hunt. Unlike a conventional control box battery pack, the coil battery can't be changed. When it dies, you are done hunting. Second trade off is signal transmission. Won't work through water, so the DEUS can't be used to shallow water hunt even if everything was waterproofed. Third, is signal pairing. How many users out there can re-sync their controller right now? If you lose signal pairing in the field and have to go home to figure out to re-connect, then you are done hunting.

No matter the technology used by any manufacturer, it's very, very seldom that you can solve one problem without creating another.

Yes, but there are trade-offs. The coil must have it's own battery so that is one more thing you have to charge, and can go dead during a hunt. Unlike a conventional control box battery pack, the coil battery can't be changed. When it dies, you are done hunting. Second trade off is signal transmission. Won't work through water, so the DEUS can't be used to shallow water hunt even if everything was waterproofed. Third, is signal pairing. How many users out there can re-sync their controller right now? If you lose signal pairing in the field and have to go home to figure out to re-connect, then you are done hunting.

No matter the technology used by any manufacturer, it's very, very seldom that you can solve one problem without creating another.

Deus can be used in shallow water,,Xp offers antenna kits. As far as losing synch. I never have lost. I have several hours. I haven't seen anyone posting on forums losing synch. The process to re pair components if need be isn't difficult.
I've even posted here and other forums alerting folks since most receive the units with components paired to indeed un pair them and re pair them to learn, understand the process. Also I've seen few folks with battery problems in the field. Sure you go to the field on a long hunt without a charged battery---problems might result. There are ways to charge the units in the field if need be. You can charge in your auto on the way to your hunting site too.
http://www.bigboyshobbies.net/xp-deus-waterproof-kit
http://www.bigboyshobbies.net/car-charger-for-xp-deus
http://www.bigboyshobbies.net/emergency-charger-xp-deus
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=209445

There are other packs available commercially to charge Deus in the field as well.

And I agree there are always tradeoffs. Folks have to weigh and decide what they are willing to use.

And I don't want anyone to think since I changed the topic from Minelab to Xp Deus that I don't hold the Minelabs in high esteem--their units are very, very good. But the Xp Deus does fit in more to my original posting- more out of box thinking with Deus definitely.

And out of all the detectors I have used.
With stock coils.
Deepest silver found with CTX.
Deepest lower conductor found with F75LTD2.

And I suspect many even some detectorists who were electrical engineers and such would have said impossible or not feasible to accomplish. (battery and electronics in coil would distort operation or make it impossible)

I was an electrical engineer. It is not impossible to accomplish, but there are some tradeoffs that the prospective buyer should consider.

Moving the battery and a lot of the electronics to the coil, makes the coil a pretty expensive proposition. If your type of hunting demands multiple coil sizes, this can get very expensive.

Also, with all the electronics and battery in the coil, how small a coil can be built and have enough battery charge for a days outing? Is an 8" coil about it, compared to a 5" ?

Battery capacity (hunt times) versus coil weight (moment of inertia) versus torque on shoulder as detector is swept.

I was an electrical engineer. It is not impossible to accomplish, but there are some tradeoffs that the prospective buyer should consider.

Moving the battery and a lot of the electronics to the coil, makes the coil a pretty expensive proposition. If your type of hunting demands multiple coil sizes, this can get very expensive.

Also, with all the electronics and battery in the coil, how small a coil can be built and have enough battery charge for a days outing? Is an 8" coil about it, compared to a 5" ?

Battery capacity (hunt times) versus coil weight (moment of inertia) versus torque on shoulder as detector is swept.

Rudy,
You make some good points.
According to Mr Andy Sabisch, Xp is releasing a smaller coil and new version for Deus (end of 2015 approx). New version is usable and will add some things even with the current available coils, but not all. And with the new coil---new version supposedly full --new version offerings.
How will this new coil stack up from a separation/depth standpoint to some other fine detectors with say 5 or 6" coils??? Who knows.
I'm hoping it is a competitor in this regard.

I also can say don't let the 11" coil size say fool a person when it comes to separation; especially in iron. Deus engineering/programming can make the coil act like a much smaller coil say 7"--WAG
And the 9" coil something in the neighborhood of 6"--WAG
It would be hard for me to put exact numbers to this---but it is absolutely breath taking to see either coil perform in iron for their size.

I've heard the new coil offered will be 6 x9".

Here's a good video, Deus wearing 11" coil I think, and going up against some other great detectors--some even wearing 7x11" coils.
And I don't think the video is rigged either--cause I've tested using some of the same and similar detectors (F75 is very near T2) and got the same results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWenrozQ58o

Here's another video, with better narration than the one above.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGwqHyUSUI8

I'm no engineer, although many of my school teachers thought I should have pursued. This Deus--I can't really put my finger on it. But it seems somehow
its coil(s) doesn't saturate as easily as many other detectors when it comes to iron. I'm not sure its separation performance is based/depends solely on processor speed.

Back
Top Bottom