50 year old coins and a theory

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
I met up with a couple of buddies at the mega soccer complex in town and found some coins that shouldnt have been there. The complex is modern, and is great for finding lots of clad and a ring or three after the seasons are over. It has several large berms that overlook various parts of the complex, and are a fave for folks to sit atop and enjoy the games. I found the 59' nickel near the bottom of a berm, and the 57' penny atop of it. Many types of burrowing rodents exist in this area including prairie dogs and rockchucks which led me to the theory.

The theory: The complex is located in a floodplain so the water table is a little high. I imagine that the dirt used to make the berms was hauled in from old excavated material from somewhere else. Im thinking that some of this older excavated material contains some old coins that percolate to the surface via the workings of our large rodent friends, and the park maintenance folks do their part by smoothing down the rodent mounds in the never ending battle of rodent control. The penny I found was near one of the burrow entrances, and the nickel along the hillside. As an avid arrowhead hunter I found some great points along warn cattle trails, and near rodent burrows in the mountains, so using that logic helped me come up with the theory........either that or someone lost some nice old coins. To test the theory I plan on hunting near the burrow holes on the man made berms that exist at many of the playgrounds around here as the chances come up. Time will tell.

Attachments

• 000_0001.JPG
    000_0001.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 481
Could be due to rodents, but there are plenty of 1930's nickels and pennies still in circulation too.
Keep us posted though.

Excellent pint Tommy!

Not all coins are naturally dropped in the places where we dig them. Coins can travel around by soil transfer or even by water going down hill.

Nice theory. I always check the dirt piles outside rodent holes when hunting cellar holes. No luck yet though.

Yeah, good idea, always possible, but it seems to me its more likely they were just in circulation and got dropped. I found a 54-D wheat the oter day in a modern totlot

Things pop up in weird places all the time. A local construction Co. just hauled a HUGE amount of dirt out of the yard of our first sheriff in town for a sidewalk project. I'm talkin about 2' deep 50' wide and about 100' long, I asked one of the guys where they put it all and he said it went to their yard to be reused for fill at other places so who knows, there could end up being an 1800's Sheriff's badge now found in the middle of a football field 5 years from now. I hope I'm the one to find it!:laughing: Speaking of which, anyone ever tried to detect a huge thing of fill dirt at a construction company before???

I live in North Texas. There is a park close to work I hit on my lunch breaks sometimes. I have found probably 30 Canadian pennies from 1960's to 80's. All scattered in an area with 2 baseball fields. The only thing I can figure is that fill dirt from Canada was used in that park. Even that theory sounds stupid to me. There's now way a bunch of Canadians lost them out of their pockets playing ball. A real mystery I'll never solve. Maybe I'll call Robert Stack.

I pulled a mid 1800s flat button out of a Park that was built in the 1960's. Talking to the old timers I found out that the whole area was swampland and they trucked in all the topsoil. I could only imagine what lays deep in that fill!

I pulled a mid 1800s flat button out of a Park that was built in the 1960's. Talking to the old timers I found out that the whole area was swampland and they trucked in all the topsoil. I could only imagine what lays deep in that fill!

That describes my property. The old timers told me that our sub was built on swampland.......my yard just got a whole lot more interesting! A friend of mine found a buffalo about 7" down on a "fill" hill at the city's fairgrounds. These "fill" hills were constructed in the 80's along with the surrounding buildings. That could also explain a 1940 nickle I found on an irrigation canal dyke at a local park established in the 1960's.

Or it could have been what Donnybrook posted.

Always interesting. So many sites, so little time.

^^^ this gives me great hope that I will find some really old stuff someday! You really don't know what the true history of the dirt is.

I was at my favorite park today and about 5 feet off the basketball court I found a ton of darker colored dirt but with the regular grass covering it. Immediately got multiple hits and started pulling olde coins and pull tabs. Then found a fishing weight. No water for at least 300-500 yards. It was a ways away so obviously they had dug up some diet by the parks lake and transferred it to fill by the court. And this is old farmland so who knows what lies beneath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom