OK, am I weird?

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
We know, the default answer is "yes" :laughing:

Diggers, those with offsets between the handle and blade......I find them awkward/uncomfortable to use. I'm not a physicist, didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express (ever, that I remember), but it seems that anything in a "straight-line" would be easier to push into the dirt than something which takes the force of ones hand, and offsets it from the blade.

Thoughts?

I know there's at least one nerd on here that could write a 10 page theory on it, but I'd be interested in hearing the bottom line.

And yes, I'm bored :p

Okay you weirdo! JK!

I like my lesche. Before that I used a fiskars digger (still have 2) and later bought a hori hori or whatever they're called (but it looks like a fricken weapon nearly)... yet to use.

Lesche working for me.

The offset on the other diggers is the exact reason I bought the hori hori. I find it works very well for me and is extremely sturdy.

I have been using Hori-Hori type diggers for almost forty years. i have put them through abuse that a Lesche couldn't handle. I had a Lesche for a while and it felt like it might break where my Hori-Hori never has. I don't like the offset handles on the Lesche type diggers.

I had a Lesche before, didn't like it, sold it. I bought another a couple years ago with the Garrett PP "deal", thinking I'd give it another shot.....still don't like it.

I was using the Fiskars for years, started 1st with the Lowes, still them all, but my new favorite is the Garrett I made a post on a few days ago.

I'd tried to find a Hori-Hori locally a couple weeks ago, but no luck. I still may try one, but I see no need at this point to replace the Garrett.

Whatever I use, has to have a inline blade/handle.

I tried a dagger, then the Fiskars Big Grip, neither one worked for me. I hate that Fiskars Big Grip! Terrible design! So, I got the Lesche, because everyone loves on it. It's okay, I guess. I still want to try the Raptor, it looks the best to me, makes great plugs on U-Tube videos, and scoops dirt out of holes, unlike the Lesche. Bought a Piranha for ease of use, and reputation, but still not satisfied, thinking about getting a Raven and a Ground Shark, I dunno. I need the apprentice wizard's spell so I can make the shovels dig by themselves. ;)

serveimage

Well, I think the strangest thing is that you never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express!
When I was on the road, it was my hotel of choice.
They have the best free breakfast by far!
Usually convenient locations near the Interstate and so on.

Concerning the Lesche, I find it helps to be offset as for giving some leverage.
My problem is that I dig so much, I have to file them down to keep an edge and I need a new one every other year or so.

matmit- I've had 2, and they both flex way too much to attempt much of any type of prying.

Finally found a Hori-hori today (Fiskars at Home Depot). I've been wanting to try one just to see how they felt, but I'll really be surprised if I end-up preferring it over the Garrett. It's heavy, full-tang, and fits into my PVC sheath (though it came with a heavy nylon sheath of its own).

I can see possibly modifying the grip to make it fit my hand better.

So far it has 10 reviews, with a total 5 star rating.Said at the store it was a "new" product.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-...-Handle-Gardening-Knife-370880-1001/300374030

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

That doesn't look like my Hori-Hori. Mine has a thicker blade and handle. It doesn't have the notch either. My new one is on the right. The other is my 30+ year old 3-in-1 knife that is about as close to a Hori-Hori as you can get. You can see how much it has been used in that time. They were about the same size when I started. I have never had one feel like it might break which is more than I can say for the Lesche I had until I lost it.
(Update: I have since replace my newer Hori-Hori for one that has a guard. I don't really see any difference in them.) You can buy them on Amazon starting about $15.00.
Diggers2.jpg

I must be the weird one !

Thru out my years on this forum and years digging, I am constantly reading post's about digging tools. I even remember one post where a guy bought a Sampson 31" and posted, "got my new Sampson, what's the best way to use it ?" I felt like writing back, "pointy end down".
So much fuss about shovels. When I started detecting, I used a garden trowel and a trenching tool. Quickly realized that didn't work well. Bought a Lesche and a Sampson 31" Tee. Used them ever since. Never once felt like either would break or bend.
Now I will admit, I hunt quite a bit in fertile, previously plowed fields. I also however do a lot of digging in creek beds (all rock ), forests (mostly schist and kneiss) and plenty of tree roots.
Get a good hand digger, a good larger shovel and be done with it. If one of them breaks, get another one.
It also tickles me when I read about guys saying, they want to save a few bucks on a digger and buy a such and such, then proceed to spend the next 30 hours grinding, welding or bending that digger into what they want. So yea, I guess I'm the weird one.

flyguy- Some of us are "tinkerers" by nature. Anyone can go buy something and use it, not everyone can make/modify something use (and there's nothing wrong with either).

Sure, I've wasted some time/money fooling with things, but it served a couple purposes...gave me something to do, and determined what I had in mind would/wouldn't work. I've also saved some money at the same time, or done something not exactly available commercially.

All boils down to what we (as individuals) are happy with, which makes for lots of difference of opinions, and nothing wrong with either.

I agree that an inline hand digger is better. Maybe only slightly, or maybe just preferably better than an offset tool. Finger clearance is a good point, but can be solved by simply repositioning the hand when needed; which isn't that often. My shop-made angle iron digger with hydraulic hose handle has proven it's strength and function pretty well over the years. I cobbled a rounded knob onto the end for pushing it into the dirt repeatedly, without hurting my hand. At about a foot long, there's enough leverage for most uses. There are times I wish I had an extended T handle, but I don't; so I can only speak for my inline hand digger. Inline is preferred, Gauntlet, but that Holiday Inn Express thing is a little questionable. :?:

Attachments

• DSCN1957.jpg
    DSCN1957.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 464
All I've ever used is the hori hori, it seems to do the trick for me. I did actually break one once, the blade snapped off right in the middle! :shock: it was a brand new one and on its maiden dig. Was prying a small rock on my 3rd target of the day when it snapped but luckily I had a spare in the car. Turns out it was a manufacturing defect in the blade and it was replaced with absolutely no questions asked. :D
I've since switched to the stainless hori with the polymer handle, its very comfortable in the hand and has a better hand guard than the wooden handled model.

Pete

flyguy- Some of us are "tinkerers" by nature. Anyone can go buy something and use it, not everyone can make/modify something use (and there's nothing wrong with either).

Sure, I've wasted some time/money fooling with things, but it served a couple purposes...gave me something to do, and determined what I had in mind would/wouldn't work. I've also saved some money at the same time, or done something not exactly available commercially.

All boils down to what we (as individuals) are happy with, which makes for lots of difference of opinions, and nothing wrong with either.

Didn't mean to insinuate there was anything wrong with doing it? I get the tinkering thing. Why, I myself "Tinker". You're absolutely right, what a given tinkerer decides to tinker on, matters not to anyone, other than the tinkerer themselves. It's the tinkering that ,matters. You should see some of my projects. Tink away my friend.

Back
Top Bottom