CIV & Spanish?

61chip

Elite Member
MoBob and I got out today for a hunt at one of our CW sites. Beans were just cut. We both found some lead and Bob got a nice general service coat button. Bob made the big find of the day -- old silver. About size of a quarter. We are thinking it's a reale, but not 100% sure. Neither of us has dug one before. Have it posted under ID my finds too

Attachments

• IMG_20151101_45967.jpg
    IMG_20151101_45967.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_20151101_37601.jpg
    IMG_20151101_37601.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_20151101_6235.jpg
    IMG_20151101_6235.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_20151101_17132.jpg
    IMG_20151101_17132.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_20151101_29195.jpg
    IMG_20151101_29195.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 356
Nice big hunk of silver! I was just about to comment on the ID, and then saw it over in the ID section. But I will add that I agree with the ID over there, based on what looks like an R on the right side if the shield. So Carolus III or IIII cross pistareen, 1759-1808. I will also say that based on your size comparison to a quarter, that it would be a 2 reales. For what it's worth, the date is where the hole is if that makes it easier to make out in person. I'm not an expert in Spanish silver, but that would be my ID. Huge congrats!

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!
Very nice hunt!!!!!
You lucky dawg...........
Have you made out the date yet?
That is a sweet score, and big one on my list.
You snagged that with the ATP? Was it deep?
once again, sweet coin...........

Thanks guys for the comments , and info . It is my oldest silver , and not very pretty but hey it made my day. I know a few of them had been pulled from this location , but had know idea I would be lucky enough to swing over one. This site has a lot of history and Chip and I have pulled plenty of civ from this location , but man still tripping out over this coin.

Nice big hunk of silver! I was just about to comment on the ID, and then saw it over in the ID section. But I will add that I agree with the ID over there, based on what looks like an R on the right side if the shield. So Carolus III or IIII cross pistareen, 1759-1808. I will also say that based on your size comparison to a quarter, that it would be a 2 reales. For what it's worth, the date is where the hole is if that makes it easier to make out in person. I'm not an expert in Spanish silver, but that would be my ID. Huge congrats!

Thanks , I will get it under my magnifier and try and see if I can make out anything around the hole. And yes it is the size of a quarter. Thanks again for the great info.

Bob, looks for sure to be a reale! Great find, buddy. I'm happy you dug it. Man, you were shaking like a dog passing peach pits :laughing: Heck, I was shaking just getting to see it! Let's go find some more of those bad boys!

Bob, looks for sure to be a reale! Great find, buddy. I'm happy you dug it. Man, you were shaking like a dog passing peach pits :laughing: Heck, I was shaking just getting to see it! Let's go find some more of those bad boys!
I will for sure be thinking of that next time we hunt that site.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom