? about Coin Grading services

Vettech101

I took my all my clad and cashed them in ( actually my better half got tired at looking at jar), $33.48 and decided to buy something nice.

I bought a 2009 Silver Eagle in a airtight holder for $24.00, never seen a Silver eagle nor held one....very sharp looking coin!

anyways, I got home and stared at it looking at all the detail, and notice a few things that mad me go "hmmm?".

Should I take this coin to a few dealers and see what they think and pay them to send it to PCGS?

and if I were to send it off, do I need to add notation on where i think there is an error, or do they scrutinize the coin and let you know whats wrong or not?

I dont have a scanner, but will bring it to work and scan and throw up pic..gonna try scanning it while in airtight, if it dont work...I will remove coin with cloth gloves

You don't need to pay a dealer to send it to a 3rd party grader like PCGS or ANACS. They both have websites that explain how to submit coins. Hope this helps

It costs money to send the coins off to 3rd party graders. I do believe sending one to ANACS costs quite a lot.

I think it will cost you more than it is worth to send it in. You might want to find some numismatic forums and post good quality images for the peanut gallery to weigh in on (actually they have a lot of very knowledgeable people on those forums). Just let them know that you have some concerns (and what they are) then see what they have to say.

One good check if you are concerned about a coin's authenticity is to weigh it as many counterfeits are the wrong weight. This may be more difficult in your case as it is in an airtight container and if you crack it you need to be extremely careful not to smudge or scratch the surface. It might not be worth it in this case, but keep it in mind for other coins in the future. Your coin should weigh 31.1 grams by the way.

Most will be MS 65 with a few MS 69. To the dismay of collectors there were no proof coins in 09 which killed their set. The coin is worth in MS65 about $20, $36 if its an MS69... thats according to Coin World latest value book. It is .999 silver. Personally you are wasting your money at this point having it graded. Its too expensive for that coin at this point and wont net you any more money for it right now.... later on maybe, but there are a lot of them.

Dew

I understand that the cost to have it graded can outweigh the actual cost of the coin, and I know they are no proofs for 09', this coin is just a un-circulated silver eagle. iam not worried about it being a counterfeit, I have picked up a few books, and researched the net for things to look for before I purchased the coin, the coin is sharply struck, no fades, and fonts match and line up perfect, date is strong and sharp...etc...

I was just wondering if there is an error(s), if that would change the value of the the coin besides numismatic/silver coin value.

I tried to scan it today at work....sorry, junk scanner.

will try taking pics and posting it on some boards.

thanks all for the input

Back
Top Bottom