First day with F2 and a question.

dispatch 510

First day with my new f2. I got permission to detect around an old house 100+yrs old. I was working around the edge of the foundation and got a solid hit of 90. No variance a solid high pitched tone. I cut a plug and still was getting a solid 90. I dug a whole about six in in diameter and 14 to 15 in deep. I never found anything but was still getting a solid 90 showing right in the middle of the hole. Even after I filled the hole I was still getting the solid 90. Should I have gone deeper? Or was I hunting in vane. Thanks

Dont let it defeat you. There are a couple possibilities. First it could be a pipe or something very large. Try using the pinpoint function and sweep around where you were receiving a signal. Sometimes you can trace the path of something in the ground if its large. Secondly a solid 90 sounds like hald dollar territory so if you dont have a handheld pinpointer I would invest in one and it will help immensely in dertermining good targets from bad ones and also will cut back retrieval time cuz it will find coins and other items amidst the dirt. I have only been swinging the F2 for a couple months so if this info doesnt help Patton and DIGGER27 are very knowledgable and good with the F2. HH

Probably some big piece of metal near in the foundation.
You could have dug to China and not found anything.

Large metal in the vicinity can give you a high tone up to one foot away from where the metal is actually laying in the ground...or in the concrete in your case.
Signals in the nineties might be a large dollar coin, but most often it is not.

This was a ghost signal, and even though you think it did, it did not repeat in the exact same place.
Close, but not exact...I guarantee it.

That's ok...all part of learning.
Just keep swinging and learning, we all go through this stage.

First day with my new f2. I got permission to detect around an old house 100+yrs old. I was working around the edge of the foundation and got a solid hit of 90. No variance a solid high pitched tone. I cut a plug and still was getting a solid 90. I dug a whole about six in in diameter and 14 to 15 in deep. I never found anything but was still getting a solid 90 showing right in the middle of the hole. Even after I filled the hole I was still getting the solid 90. Should I have gone deeper? Or was I hunting in vane. Thanks

I don't know if it was digger but someone told me to raise the coil 6-8 inches above the ground and swing it above the target if it still tones it is large (can or large metal object)and to move on.Search the rest of the property and if you want to play with it later go ahead.If it is a coin it will not tone 6 inches above the ground unless it is a large amount of coins.

Discriminate the iron out and turn up the sensitivity as high as it can go with it still being stable.Make sure you are getting tone on both sides of the target.

The f2 won't find coins or small items that deep. Large pipe or even tin can show up deeper. Try doing some air testing with the f2 to get a better feel of how deep targets can be.

Right. Move ahead or behind the target a few inches too. Large targets will indicate in a larger area. Keep taking a step to the side and rescan performing multiple cross scans.

If you are near foundation there could be rebar, cast iron pipe, scrap steel, who knows under there. If you have the 4" sniper coil try that and see if you still get the same reading. Honestly, I bet you are reading the steel in the foundation.

Back
Top Bottom