• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Signal tips in junk areas

montanamuzik

Elite Member
Been hunting an old homestead for a few nights now. All that is left is stone foundation in cow pasture. Ranches past have thrown a lot of metal in foundation hole and there is a fair amount in the ground surrounding all sides. I did find two very nice old good for tokens (and an 1800 something Chinese coin) within about 20 ft of foundation (and within a few feet of each other) but there is junk everywhere. One question.....I know a smaller coil may help, the smallest I have is a 9". What would you recommend for a small and accurate coil for a Garrett 2500? I could research but I know the best advice is right here. ALSO....when I am in these junky areas right around foundation I get a lot of one way signals and "iffy" ones while in jewelry mode. Is it that there is something good mixed in being masked to a certain extent by iron or is it that there is just som much junk in the ground the detector likes to talk about it. What I have been doing in jewelry mode is just digging anything that I can get to repeat in all directions, even if it is faint. That gets me coins, tokens, headstamps, brass, buttons, watch gears etc. Should I be doing something else with settings,,,,,digging method? What I am worried about is I am passing over a lot of good stuff that is mixed in with iron because its not repeating in all directions. I leave sensitivity at factory setting of 9.

I've run into this same problem with trashy areas. Normally swing a 9.5" coil, decided to buy a 4x6". I hunted with the 4x6" maybe 1 time, and was very disappointed by the amount of depth I lost. I think I was maxing out at about 4-5" vs. my normal 6-9" with the 9.5 coil. So I would keep that in mind.

Other than that, I have the same issue and still haven't found a good workaround. I'll probably upgrade to an etrac later this year, which from what I've heard really helps with identifying targets in trashy areas.

-Jeff

Back
Top Bottom