san diego/ mission beach

missingmetal

Anyone familiar with the area. I am heading there the first week of june and was wondering if there are any restrictions with detecting on the beach. I would probably be up before sun up and detect until the family wakes up but not familiar with any laws in the area.

Unless you have a machine meant for salt water beaches you will need to stick to the dry sand area. That being said, there are goodies to be there! :cool::D

Being a SD local I can tell you,,,,expect to see 12 other guys griding next to you. San Diego has been bombarded with detectorists over the last yr and a half from YouTuber's falsely glamorizing the hobby. Making it look like you'll find a ring on every 4th scoop you dig. Don't get discouraged if you're finding close to nothing this time of year as well as the beaches are sanded in with fresh sand from December's King Tides that stripped the beaches down to pebble and clay...

On the positive,.... the weathers nice...... Good luck and enjoy your stay...

Being a SD local I can tell you,,,,expect to see 12 other guys griding next to you. San Diego has been bombarded with detectorists over the last yr and a half from YouTuber's falsely glamorizing the hobby. Making it look like you'll find a ring on every 4th scoop you dig. Don't get discouraged if you're finding close to nothing this time of year as well as the beaches are sanded in with fresh sand from December's King Tides that stripped the beaches down to pebble and clay...

Thank u so much.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

... Don't get discouraged if you're finding close to nothing this time of year as well as the beaches are sanded in...

^ ^ This. So if the wet sand is sterile, you may be relegated to dry sand. And even then-so sometimes you have to scout various beaches to finds ones that perhaps haven't got as much competition!

As far as "restrictions", well yes, I'm glad you asked: The rule here is 30% of your finds to me. I accept paypal. :cool:

only "restriction" is etiquette. Pull your trash that you dig, bury your holes and don't walk some one else's grid.... (while they're there).... Cops, lifeguards, etc could care less if you're hunting. State beaches seem fine too. I've yet to ever get harassed. If you do, show them all the aluminum and nails and stuff you're pulling and say "you're welcome."

If you plan to hunt at night, bring a pocket knife. There are a lot of drunks that hit the beaches after the bars let out and you don't want one idiot ruining your night by acting a fool. I've had to brandish a knife twice when I felt the need...

Oh and also, if you hunt the water, do the sting ray shuffle. The beaches have ALOT of rays and they don't feel good when their barbs hit you in the ankle bone. As me how I know....

That and the TV show that shows guys finding old coins and relics everytime they dig. They don't show the stuff like i find, i.e. bobby pins, can slaw, iron, etc.

^ ^ This. So if the wet sand is sterile, you may be relegated to dry sand. And even then-so sometimes you have to scout various beaches to finds ones that perhaps haven't got as much competition!

As far as "restrictions", well yes, I'm glad you asked: The rule here is 30% of your finds to me. I accept paypal. :cool:

^^^^^^ this is awesome but are the terms negotiable?

If you plan to hunt at night, bring a pocket knife. There are a lot of drunks that hit the beaches after the bars let out and you don't want one idiot ruining your night by acting a fool. I've had to brandish a knife twice when I felt the need...

Oh and also, if you hunt the water, do the sting ray shuffle. The beaches have ALOT of rays and they don't feel good when their barbs hit you in the ankle bone. As me how I know....[/QUOTE]

These two points sum up my SoCal beach hunting experience. With mild year round weather you get a fair amount of people who live year round on the beach. They don't own a home per se but they live there. The drunk gang bangers also just seem to gravitate towards metal detectors. I could find gold in the scoop every week if it looked like a homie.

As for rays they hurt! I had one put a barb nearly through my left big toe last year. It's the most intense pain you'll ever experience. It makes banging your shin with your scoop feel like childs play.

Back
Top Bottom