Bounty Hunter Ground Grab?

Reloader

I recently purchased a Bounty Hunter Platinum.
When doing the ground grab I get a low pitch sound while lowering toward the ground. This changes to a steady high pitch sound and a number displayed as I near the ground.

Is this normal? I thought there was supposed to be an intermittent beeping sound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You have to pump the coil up and down. First, make sure you're not GBing over any metal in the ground below the coil. Then start with the coil about 1ft high, go into the All Metal Mode then hold for the "target" button (middle button) a sec, then "pump" the coil up and down from 1ft to right on the surface, up and down multiple times till it holds. I can't remember exactly, but the instructions were off a little bit in the manual as to how to do it. You won't hear any beeps telling you it's set, like it says in the manual. Once there is no feedback when pumping down to the surface and the numbers set, it's ready. Release the GB button, switch mode and start hunting.

Hope that helps!

That certainly should help. I was completely not understanding what the instructions said. Will give it another go tomorrow. Thanks.

That certainly should help. I was completely not understanding what the instructions said. Will give it another go tomorrow. Thanks.

I couldn't figure it out either from the instructions. They're misprinted or something. If you can find a video on "ground balancing" on youtube, pretty much all detectors do it the same by "pumping", just different modes/buttons to achieve it.

This morning I tried it again. After holding the button in and waiting for the number to settle there was an audible high pitch beeping.
Obviously I wasn't waiting long enough for the number to settle.

Sometimes the number will fluctuate a little bit but you should be falling on a number pretty regularly. I have a Teknetics T2 classic which is basically the same ground grab system. Some people set the ground balance slightly positive so you can hear the threshold hum on the ground balance pump. It allows you to hear when rechecking the ground balance later on.if you don't hear it, then the conditions have changed and you probably should re ground balance for that area.I hope this helps.

Ground balancing the Platinum is different than the other First Texas frat brother units. You do NOT pump the coil, like most detectors. Instead, you simply press ground grab button, lower the coil to an inch or so above the ground, and wait for the 3 beeps to confirm GB. Make sure you are not over any metal.

The instructions in the manual are not the clearest, for sure.

Ground balancing the Platinum is different than the other First Texas frat brother units. You do NOT pump the coil, like most detectors. Instead, you simply press ground grab button, lower the coil to an inch or so above the ground, and wait for the 3 beeps to confirm GB. Make sure you are not over any metal.

The instructions in the manual are not the clearest, for sure.

Thank you for the info.I wasn't aware that it was different than other first texas units.Why would they label it as ground grab on a T2 and a Platinum if they are different methods for ground grab ???

Sorry Reloader,I didn't know what I was talking about.

Well I certainly didn't know and wasn't patient enough to let it work the first time out. Still very new with this but the time for it to settle in and beep seems to vary quite a bit.

Sure thing bibelot.

I have no idea why it's not the same across the board for all their detectors. I think they try to mix things up, just to have a laugh at us during lunch.

This is the first time I looked at the new Bounty Hunters. They definitely improved their appearance. I used a Lanstar for many years and loved it. Bounty's were very underrated. They have a special sale going on it now...I'm tempted to get me one. You can swing them all day without a sore arm.

Back
Top Bottom