Guys, need some help...Found something Dragoonish

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
I believe this might be a cuff button, hope so, anyway.
This was in a park where I don't think any activity happened but who knows...the Dragoons could have rode through here on the way to somewhere else.
I have been trying to get a match but I have found there are many different types of buttons all slightly different depending on who made them.
I hope it is not just some copy that came off of a kids winter coat or something...that would be just too cruel to even think about doing that to those of us trying to recover history.

2 piece, the shank is loose and moves and comes through the opening in the back which does not appear to have any markings or name.

What say you guys...real or do I get my crying towel?

Attachments

• dragoon.jpg
    dragoon.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 384
  • dragoon 2.jpg
    dragoon 2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 344
  • dragoon 3.jpg
    dragoon 3.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 349
  • P1050820.jpg
    P1050820.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 351
Man it looks like it has that old patina to it. And I'm no button expert by any means but they usually have some sort of makers marks/name on the back. Hope it's real and someone can help you out man.

Man it looks like it has that old patina to it. And I'm no button expert by any means but they usually have some sort of makers marks/name on the back. Hope it's real and someone can help you out man.

Found a couple of pretty reputable sites that are selling slightly different dragoon buttons and some of them have no writing on the back either so I am hopeful.

Found a couple of pretty reputable sites that are selling slightly different dragoon buttons and some of them have no writing on the back either so I am hopeful.

At first look I would have thought it was a company "D" button. I will do a little looking for "dragoon" now that you have me curious!

I think you are probably good. Most of the lettered eagle buttons were made before the war. And generally they came with a back mark on them. That is what kind of throws me, but I still think it's good.

From my search it looks to be Civil War and the the buttons I found only had C,I,A for Artillery for Eg...
Here's a pic.
EM

The Dragoons go way back in armies all over the world.
In this country there have been regiments with this name since revolutionary times.

United States

History

Towards the end of 1776 George Washington realized the need for a mounted branch of the military. In January 1777 four regiments of light dragoons were raised. Short term enlistments were abandoned and the Dragoons joined for three years, or "the war". They participated in most of the major engagements of the American Revolutionary War, including the Battles of White Plains, Trenton, Princeton, Brandywine, Germantown, Saratoga, Cowpens, and Monmouth, as well as the Yorktown campaign.

Prior to the War of 1812 the U.S. organized the Regiment of Light Dragoons. For the war a second regiment was activated; that regiment was consolidated with the original regiment in 1814. The original regiment was consolidated with the Corps of Artillery in June 1815.[23]

The 1st United States Dragoons explored Iowa after the Black Hawk Purchase put the area under U.S. control. In the summer of 1835, the regiment blazed a trail along the Des Moines river and established outposts from present-day Des Moines to Fort Dodge. In 1933, the State of Iowa opened the Dragoon Trail, a scenic and historic drive that follows the path of the 1st United States Dragoons on their historic march.

In 1861 the two existing U.S. Dragoon regiments were re-designated as the 1st and 2nd Cavalry. This reorganization did not affect their role or equipment, although the traditional orange uniform braiding of the dragoons was replaced by the standard yellow of the Cavalry branch. This marked the official end of dragoons in the U.S. Army, although certain modern units trace their origins back to the historic dragoon regiments

Pretty interesting stuff...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragoon

Tons of different buttons out there, all the ones I have seen so far with a D are all linked to and identified as Dragoon buttons.

Attachments

• kuy.jpg
    kuy.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 301
I just sent an e-mail to kcsteve over on his site and he is now a member here so hopefully he will chime in.
He specializes in finding and hunting Dragoon campsites and has been doing that for years so if anyone would have an informed opinion about this thing it would be him.
http://kcsteve.wix.com/kcsteve#!Rev...mp/c1lxd/0632E1BE-1706-4208-BAEC-3B126ED98AE4

Any other experts out there I would love to hear what you think of this thing.
Could be one of my most cherished and rare finds so far if it turns out to be real.

Hope its good. Only thing I ever found was a couple rivets that were across the river from a campsite. Figured they were looking across the river saying "Reckon they are asleep?"...."Dude it's me and you! You see the twenty sitting by the fire?":lol:

Kc Steve sent a quick reply last night...

The button looks to be genuine and there are some that are without a b/m. Your button has an 1850's look to it but an unusual pattern I've not seen in awhile and I've dug a lot of them but I've never dug any without a b/m. Most of the ones I dig have a b/m of Waterbury Scovills and date between 1840-50's. If you go to the www.thetreasuredepot.com and on their home page on right side click "The Button Book" and then on next page left side click Dragoon buttons, they have about 16 different variants of Dragoon buttons. Congratulations on finding a super nice dragoon cuff button and I hope you dig more in that spot.

This seems to be an unusual one but even without a back mark he seems to think it is real.
Until someone comes up with proof that someone faked this thing for some reason I am going to believe it is real and I am going to be thrilled.

Back
Top Bottom