PA Parks

Pa parks

The law of pa is, you have to have permission from the park office. There is no fee.

Every state park I have gone to has asked me why I was even asking. Thats 4 parks so far. Everyone has said there is no permit needed. No one has even asked what I have found. After even an hour discussion with rangers they all said I was the first person to ever ask for permission. One ranger even advise I look along the border of one of the national historic areas where a furnace is now open to the public. Marsh Creek, French Creek, Blue Marsh Lake and Hibernian county parks don't care.

If you are so worried go ask for permission or whatever but I never will. No point when no one cares anyway. Asking is a waste of time in my opinion. Do whatever yourself like. While you are asking I'll be hinting with out an issue.

Have you been out to Marsh Creek now that the water level is dropped for fishing structure install?
I'm sure you'll find hundreds of hooks and sinkers.

i called the pennsylvania state parks main building you can detect on game lands state parks anywhere with no permits or anything ...but you can not remove anything from the gamelands or parks ...do not listen to people who say you need permits they just want to keep all the good spot for themselves...maybe you should get the proper information before you post on here and confuse people...

I'm from SW PA too. State parks and National Forests are fair game but you need a permit in Washington county parks (Mingo and Cross Creek, its not permitted in Ten Mile Creek). You can get the form on the county website and just fill in the other activities section, it costs $5. However, I've had the sheriff drive past me at least a dozen times in the past year and he always gives a friendly wave...I've never been asked to show the permit...but for 5 bucks its worth avoiding any hassel.

The two PA state parks I have called said no MD

Evansberg and Brandywine said no MD allowed.

It's a shame because they both have interesting history.

I am starting to think I need to go back to college and get an Archaeology degree...

This was posted at another website because some people STILL seem to think it's ok to just go and detect where ever the hell they want. The one moron actually lied and said he called the park and they told him it was ok. After he went back to the website and bragged about how he was hunting WITHOUT permission again and found a bunch of stuff...this post showed up. This is a direct post from Nockamixon State Park where he and others were hunting without permission. The Park Manager even mentioned the spot they were going without permission to hunt. I suggest some of you guys giving the rest of us a bad name read CLOSELY to what this Park Manager has to say. It's very cut and dry..:

Below is the actual Directive for Metal Detecting in ALL PA State Parks (you would have to check with the County to find out their policy for detecting in the County Parks). We need to know when, where, and when you are done. Any items of historic value must be returned to the park.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Obie Derr, Park Manger
Nockamixon State Park

ps The camp that you are talking about is called Kahagon Camp and is on State Park property.

The reasonable use of metal detectors is permitted in many state recreation areas. Metal detecting is not permitted where this activity would conflict with a facility in use. Metal detecting is not permitted within fenced areas of swimming pool complexes (state operated or concession operated). Metal detecting on beaches and in lake swimming areas will be permitted within a reasonable distance of shore from the Tuesday after Labor Day until the Saturday prior to Memorial Day, unless posted otherwise. During the summer season, metal detecting in beach and swimming areas will be at the discretion of the Park Manager based on his knowledge of the use and type of facility. Metal detecting in other underwater areas will be permitted within a reasonable distance of shore if it does not conflict with other activities or have potential for causing damage to the facility.

Many state recreation areas have the potential for the recovery of valuable historical objects. State recreation areas with this potential may have part or all of their area closed to metal detecting. Areas to be closed to this activity should be approved by the appropriate regional office. The finding of historical objects in any state recreation area should be handled by following Management Manual Volume V, Section 920.340.

SHOVELS, SPADES, GARDEN TROWELS, and other similar tools may NOT be used to dig into or turn over ground areas that are covered by turf, vegetation, shrubs, or trees. Permissible digging tools are screwdrivers, ice picks, and other similar narrow pronged devices.

Individuals who want to use a metal detector in a state recreation area must receive prior approval from the appropriate park office and report items which are found and will be removed from the park. Items recovered become the property of the finder, as described in Management Manual, Volume I, Section 1000.530, except for those of historical significance.

The above guidelines only pertain to state park lands. Persons should contact the Pennsylvania Game Commission, Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission and/or the DCNR Bureau of Forestry for guidelines applicable to their lands. In addition, persons should consult the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission if they are seeking or find historical artifacts. The Commission has legal responsibilities under the Historic Preservation Act (#273 of 1978).

I'm new to metal detecting

Im New to the metal detecting scene I live in Selinsgrove Pennsylvania and looking for someone to go out with and coin shoot and to look for other buried Treasures

we have two close state parks. pine grove furnace requires a permit (its free!) they just want to know who's there. they keep a copy and you have to keep a copy on you while detecting. so I asked a ranger at the bordering state park, Caledonia. I wanted to cover my but if I crossed the border line and was questioned. he said the nice thing about that was... Caledonia didn't require any permits. its better to be safe than sorry. they each have different rules. one allows detecting in the creeks, the other doesn't. they didn't want deep holes dug in the creek.... which kids dig and build dams everyday. lol. but you have to abide by the rules.

You must have each state park manager approval. Some give verbally and others will give you a written (or email) you must have on your person. The rule states parks will allow the reasonable use of metal detectors. There is a set of rules on the state park web site. Check them out. Very specific on what tools you are allowed to use. Screw driver or ice pick. No trowel like tools allowed. All finds are property of that state and must be turned into the manager or ranger. Every park also has areas off limits. Don't let that scare you off. Hope that helps.

To be safe, I'd rather have a written permission on my person. A verbal will just get you in some kinda trouble.
IF a permission is indeed necessary

Evansberg and Brandywine said no MD allowed.

It's a shame because they both have interesting history.

I am starting to think I need to go back to college and get an Archaeology degree...
I know the Southeastern PA Historic Recovery Group (SPHRG) has worked with archies in the Brandywine area.

As for permissions, I know Fort Washington State Park requires a permit (yearly), and is easy to get, and yes I've had one.

As for hunting without checking... you're risking getting tossed, to a fine and/or jail time.

All that being said, because you're not on park property doesn't mean you can't get permission from property owners around the park.

.... As for hunting without checking... you're risking getting tossed, to a fine and/or jail time... .

By "checking", do you mean to inquire "can I metal detect ?" Or "Is this permissible?" Or "are there any laws that prohibit...?" Or did you mean for md'ers to look up the laws/rules for themselves ? (and .... if nothing says "no md'ing", the presto, not prohibited ?)

And seeing as how this thread dealt originally with PA state parks, ... ok, I'll bite: Do you know of anyone who's faced a fine or jail time for md'ing them ?

Perhaps "Tossed" (a scram). If someone was snooping around obvious historic sensitive monuments. But jail and fines ? Please let us know if there's any examples of this that you've heard of.

I go to keystone state park,they told me no beach hunting till after the season,then it's fair game.They also said no permit needed,hunt anywhere ,anytime with the exception of the beach when in use.

Back
Top Bottom