Should I dump my lead?

ParkHunter

Forum Supporter
Just realized.. I've kept all my finds in a box, including lead weights, etc. and that box has been in my room for years. Should I toss the lead? I hope I somehow didn't potentially poison myself.. lol

Serious question though, what should I do? I'm near this box of lead daily. I assume it's no issue, and wouldn't want to dump some of my nice lead relics.

I don't believe the lead will hurt you unless you ingest it or chew on it etc. Scraping it and causing dust as in lead paint is a no go but soft lead should be no problem. If you are worried about it Don't handle it a lot ,but sleeping near it should be no problem.

Depends on price of lead:?: But you could move it out of your room/house if your worried

I sell mine at the end of the season, usually about $2 per pound at the scrapyard:D

I have NEVER seen lead over 40¢ a pound at any scrap yard around here. Would like to know where any scrap yard is that pays that much. I can get hundreds of two pound sinkers and I can't sell them for over 1.50 each.

:laughing: Some funny posts. I'll probably dispose of it, no scrap yard close to here. Thanks folks.

Wash your hands after handling lead and before eating. Lead in solid form is safe unless ingested. If you cast your own bullets or sinkers make sure there is plenty of ventilation. I loaded my own pistol ammo and shotgun shells for several years b.c. ( before children )

Got to melt it and sell it on fleabay. Don't ever keep lead in your house. I probably have 1000 pounds in the back yard. Plumbers have to breath the fumes wiping in p traps. I got a lot of lead exposure. Other than dying from cancer it can cause you bad joint pain, etc. That white crust on civil war bullets shouldn't be around children.

Wish I was closer! I can always use led. Shooting competitively almost every weekend. Pour our own boolits. I'm sure someone around you would love to have it.

I am surrounded by

retired state police. The one directly across the st. cast his own bullets and shoots on a regular basis. I just give it to him. About 35 lbs. last time. I used to bring it to a sporting goods store back home. They know users and would re-load my spinning reels with quality line for the lead. win win

I used to be a plumber back in the day and they still use it on cast iron drainage pipe jobs mostly commercial in some states. If you know a plumber they might but it or take it also.

What is low alpha lead

A cut-&-paste from another forum I came across:

I was watching a program on the Discovery Channel, and they talked about finding a shipwreck containing a whole load of "low alpha lead". It is apparently MUCH more valuable than the wheelweight variety--$30-40/lb and up. It is used for semi-conductor and other modern electronics manufacture, where low-level background radiation has to be kept to a minimum in order not to disrupt the chip's function. Apparently, the stuff can be manufactured, but also lead that is >100 years old or so can be a possible candidate for low alpha levels

Back
Top Bottom