WARNING: Chicago Beaches Contaminated?!?!?!

Dirt Fishing

I am posting this out of concern, I hope I am posting in the proper area.
Being bit by the MD bug I was going to go out to one of the local beaches, the most popular on is Oak Street Beach in Chicago.
I stumbled onto a site that claims there is an Asbestos problem at the Chicago area beaches.
Upon further research I was able to contact a person that has been doing studies regarding this issue from the Illinois Dunesland Preservation Society. http://www.illinoisdunesland.org/pdf/Poison_Beach.pdf
I was told that there have been studies that have shown dangerous levels of Asbestos contamination on Chicago beaches, most of that shown that Oak St Beach showed higher levels than other beaches.
Reading the city officials official statements they say the beaches are safe.
I heard otherwise from this person I spoke with.
The cause of this pollution is from a company that is dumping into the waters of the lake and the results are that the Asbestos is washing up on the beaches.

I wanted to post this for anyone that might be wanting to go to the beaches to MD as I was about to do earlier today as a precaution.
I was told by the person the I spoke to that if you go to the lakefront, to stay off the sand, Impossible, there is sand everywhere at the lakefront, even in grassy areas.
If you want to read more about this do a Google search: Asbestos on Chicago Beaches.
Unbelievable, I wanted to hit that place this morning and see what everyone left behind.
Oh well, I guess it's back to the school lots.

I did think of wearing a dust mask, but then I would have to wear a jumpsuit with it, at that point I may start to scare people. I don't want to look like a a bio-scientist on the beach.

I knew that muck was comming from somewhere.
I didnt think it was so far north but now that you say I`m convinced thats where its comming from.
Thanks for the heads up.

Not sure why you need a jumpsuit, however, I would recommend bringing a blower to blow off any dust/dirt prior to removing the mask. If the sand is wet, there is not an issue.... (as WL said above). RickO

Not sure why you need a jumpsuit, however, I would recommend bringing a blower to blow off any dust/dirt prior to removing the mask. If the sand is wet, there is not an issue.... (as WL said above). RickO

The jumpsuit was a joke. Jumpsuit on the beach LOL might as well wear a tuxedo.

Anyhow, I did get a call back from the President of the Illinois Dunesland Preservation Society last night and he gave me the whole load down on what is going on at the lakefront.
To make a long story short, There is a company or two ComEd being one of them (as I was told) they have been dumping into the lake for years, some huge chunks of Asbestos has been washing up on the beaches, pieces as large as 2'X4'. It's been traveling south down the lake into the beaches of Chicago, it's coming down from the Waukegan/Zion area and reaches as far as Indiana.
This group has been trying to get the word out but the local government along with state government keep shutting them up.
As I was told the testing that was done by our officials was compromised and they dummied up the results as to not have a high reading of the pollutant.
This has been discovered and is in some type of litigation right now.

Basically, the beaches have Asbestos in the sand, I was told that if I wanted to go MD'ing at the beaches...to wear a mask, and he wasn't joking and if you have young ones not to let them on the sand.
You really don't even have to be on the sand just close enough to ingest fibers that may be blown into the air.
Also said that Chicago/Illinois is 5th for Mesotheleoma in the country.
Now I know why the lawyers keep running commercials here for the disease.

If you Google "Asbestos Beach" it will come right up.

To make it worse the Park Rangers were trying to burn the evidence that was washing up on shore, controlled burns that were illegal.
It's a huge mess that hasn't hit the mainstream media because Daley wants his Olympics here.

So anyone on the beaches sunbathing, building sand castles, volleyball, etc...are all in jeopardy of becoming ill.
Topping it off, the authorities are keeping a lid on it.

I told the guy that if he wanted full blown media on the issue, to send a report of the finding to the Olympic Committee and when Daley looses the Olympics it will be all over the news as to why.
He paused and thought about it...probably thought he'd be a dead man if he went through with something like that. LOL

Well, that's the jist of it, if you want to know more you can read it all online.
So till the all clear is given, I'm staying off the beaches at the lakefront.
Sad to say, cause it's a nice place to enjoy a beautiful day.
All nice and the sun shining on the outside, but toxic pollutants under your feet.

It is important to realize, that on any average city street, you can inhale asbestos due to the fact that brake linings contain asbestos, and the fibers are given off as brakes are applied. RickO

Back
Top Bottom