Who has found a gun?

Not yet but if I ever did I’m keeping it :lol:
If I ever was inclined to “turn it in” I’d want a receipt and timing of when I could come pick it up if it came back clean...
Paging Scuba....

See, now this would lead to a conundrum.
If you go to the LEO's, and mention you "found" a weapon, you're obligated, by most state laws, to surrender it. Not doing so is a violation, and they can arrest you for it and confiscate it anyway.
To my knowledge, once a weapon is "turned in", it WILL NOT go back out. Demanding a receipt and timeline for getting it back will get you nowhere. The exception is recovered stolen pieces, that go back to the rightful owner. (As they should.)
If one keeps a found piece, they may, unknowingly, have in their possession, a crime gun, thus possibly linking them to a shooting, or worse, a murder.

So.....what to do? Theoretically, one could hang onto it, clean it to within an inch of it's life, using rubber gloves, slip it into a ziplock bag, and keep it in the nightstand drawer, loaded. Should a perpetrator break into your home, and you have to shoot them with your own legally owned weapon, they could then have that found weapon in their possession when the cops arrived, thus making them even more of a criminal than a simple burglary suspect. Theoretically, of course, IF one wanted to chance altering a crime scene, which is a violation in itself.;)

Such a conundrum, and ethics problem.........:?:

Roger

Not yet but if I ever did I’m keeping it :lol:

If I ever was inclined to “turn it in” I’d want a receipt and timing of when I could come pick it up if it came back clean...

Paging Scuba....

Yeah...I'm not of the immediately "Turn it in to authorities" School either...Sure it may be stolen or murder weapon, but maybe the guy deserved to have it stolen, or maybe the murder victim deserved to be killed? Some folks need a good killing, and you may land a decent Father in Prison by turning over the weapon you just found...after he shot the dope dealer who destroyed his Family.......so hey, something to think about...not all murderers are bad people...

Hey.......It all depends on the circumstances..a guy should think about things before reacting....

Regarding most any finds...In a majority of metal detecting genres, Situational Ethics do indeed apply...Everything we find is stolen, lost or tossed..unless you are a nugget/meteorite hunter....

We find things DAILY that are evidence of some sort of crime! Besides littering, You ever find a alcoholic beverage bottle cap in a park posted with 'No Alcoholic Beverages' signs? Yep! Turn that evidence in and get it dusted for prints!

You ever find a cig butt on school grounds? Sure! Collect that evidence in a little baggie and turn it in to the authorities for them to do a DNA backtrack procedure and bust that damned law infractor!! :laughing:

Just saying, We track and hunt for the refuse of Humanity! Humans historically tend to be very murdery, littery, dangerous and naughty...We track and hunt them, but we are under no obligation or moral high ground to judge or police them...or else, its just meteorites and gold nuggets...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom