Score: Freshly Mowed Hayfield

Bill_Ace_350

Elite Member
I found my 2nd 19th century coin!

I know that is no big deal for a lot of you, but I'm stoked!

My hayfield was mowed and baled a few days ago, and after work today I finally had a chance to detect it.

Went to the area where I found my first Indian Head penny a few years ago, an 1864.

The are is at the west end of my field near an old stone/rock fence that divides my property and the neighbors. It is made of the stones dug from the fields, and is straight as an arrow.

There is a gap in the fence, but I believe it is intentional, and probably had a gate of some sort, most likely wood, long ago.

The gap is approx. 10 - 12 feet wide. The reason I originally decided to start at that spot years ago is because I figured people had to cross between the fields at this spot.

Anyway, I get home, swap out the small coil on m AT Pro for the large factory coil, put in a fresh set of batteries, grab my propointer and entrenching toll and drive out.

Had the AT Pro set at max sensitivity, Iron audio on, discrimination at 35.

Dug the normal rusted barbed wire, square nails, unidentifiable rusted iron etc.

Got a solid, clean sounding tone from multiple directions, no hint of iron grunting. Cant remember what the VDI was....

I had to keep the coil a little higher than normal because of the hay stubble, so I didn't really pay much attention to depth.

So, I pinpointed the signal, and started to dig. Digging was difficult because of the rocky soil, but I managed to get a hole started, probable 6 inches deep. Pulled out the garrett carrot and it indicated the target was in the center of the hole. I was getting close...

Managed to dig a more and dumped the dirt on the edge of the hole, and imaging my surprise when I pulled this out:

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 450
  • 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 397
  • 3b.jpg
    3b.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 392
  • 4b.jpg
    4b.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 417
Wow, looks in very good condition but what is it?
I will guess it is a Canadian one cent piece and the Year matches your Indian.

Like to see pictures of both side once you clean it.

Added:
Looked up Canadian penny and found it is a Nova Scotia one cent.
Very nice find.

Got to be more goodies out there.

Wow, looks in very good condition but what is it?
I will guess it is a Canadian one cent piece and the Year matches your Indian.

Like to see pictures of both side once you clean it.

Added:
Looked up Canadian penny and found it is a Nova Scotia one cent.
Very nice find.

Got to be more goodies out there.

The opposite side is pretty crusty, lots of built up crud.

Soaking it right now.

Think you nailed the id.

I couldn't believe it was an 1864 too!

Going to very carefully grid that area.

Good call; searching around the opening area...and using those deep search settings. That field sounds like a good place to hit whenever the conditions are right.

Sweet coin. Not every day do people dig 150 year old coins.
I pulled a Canadian largie a few years ago very close to that date.....All the ones I've dug seemed to look fairly good, especially for being so thin......

Yeah I've been really happy with the number of old Canadian silvers I've dug here in in western NY .....I love scoring foreign silvers......
Keep gridding that spot....gotta be some more goodies out there.......

Back
Top Bottom