5 Gram Gold Nugget!!

Wonderful find, and I have heard that with Glacial movement in my area (Ohio Valley) its not an impossible find, but I sure am not counting on it.Thats what keeps me in the field. In the few years in the hobby,:cool: I have found things and have been to places I would never had went to before.I would cherish it forever.You can never put value on that find.:cool:

congrats on the awesome find. The quartz gives the placer nugget some character

Wonderful find, and I have heard that with Glacial movement in my area (Ohio Valley) its not an impossible find, but I sure am not counting on it.Thats what keeps me in the field. In the few years in the hobby,:cool: I have found things and have been to places I would never had went to before.I would cherish it forever.You can never put value on that find.:cool:

That sums it up pretty good. This hobby has expanded where I go and how I look at things. I've been a hunter for over 40 years, but I see things differently now and look at places in different ways. Your right, I really can't put a value on this find. Beyond my wildest dreams.

Speaking as a geologist and one who has been asked to identify gold in Arkanasas....and never seeing any from here, but having looked at a lot of Australian, Colorado, and California nuggets, you definitely got a nice one there...Gold and quartz mix, well stream tumbled by your glaciers and brought in from Canada more than likely. It is a BEAUTY!

If you can get me weight in water vs the dry weight, I have a formula that I can work out exactly how much gold vs quartz you have. of course it would be nice to know what Kt it is...natural gold can range, depending on the presence of impurities from 22 Kt to around 14 Kt. I did not read the entire thread so you may know that. PM me the info if you know and I will work it out. If you don't know how to get the weight in water accurately, go to your local University to the geology professor, show it to him and tell him you want to get the specific gravity of the nugget. Any 2nd year geology student knows how to do that. I need the specific gravity to run my calculation for you and the Kt value which a jeweler can do.

OH YES...almost forgot...go back to that site and hunt the HECK out of it! HA HA HA

Placer gold is found in Minnesota. Im not sure if it is natural to the area or if it is glacial only. That's a NICE nugget. I would be looking for more there , panning , etc. Even if that was just glacial gold , a nugget like that ( if it wasn't found elsewhere and lost by somebody ) shows that the gold bearing material fared very well on its journey , within a glacier , and there could be more like it. If its natural to the area you have an even better chance of finding more.

Gold !!!

WOW !!! That is one great find and such beauty. Regardless of value, I would hang on to it. You may never find another one like that. Congratulations on following your instincts. :D

Wow, the nugget thread is alive again. I have been back to the site a couple times and have not found any more. There is a lot of junk that rings up in the same range as s the gold. I haven't done anything with it other than carry it with me sometimes in the watch pocket of my levis when I feel I need the luck. I plan to hit that area a lot harder this year. Life has gotten real serious the last couple years and I just haven't had the time.

Wow, the nugget thread is alive again. I have been back to the site a couple times and have not found any more. There is a lot of junk that rings up in the same range as s the gold. I haven't done anything with it other than carry it with me sometimes in the watch pocket of my levis when I feel I need the luck. I plan to hit that area a lot harder this year. Life has gotten real serious the last couple years and I just haven't had the time.

Nice to catch the update.
Yea know that feeling life gets in the way of swing time.
But a score we all hope for..

Very sweat find. I'm sure it has company. Work the lil depressions,streams an creeks. Any cuts from erosion around the area. If native more should be close by. If glacial it can pocket and or be scattered for miles. Those pockets could be spread out mounds. Also could be a lot of smaller stuff. I'd work the area with small and large coils. And pan a bucket of dirt from the same hole and or area.
I'm looking for distant relatives to yours here in southern Ohio glacial Moran's. I found small nuggets where I played as a child. Everyone said they weren't real. Gave em to my grandpa never to be seen again.lol
Hope to get in there this summer..
Yes very nice nuggy.

love how its wrapped around quarts, which makes it "float". Worth way more as a specimen than melt value!

love how its wrapped around quarts, which makes it "float". Worth way more as a specimen than melt value!

And since it was found here it probably raises the value as well. Had a geologist flip out when he saw it. He really wanted to know WHERE I found it. "Aint Tellin" was my reply.

Back
Top Bottom