Metal Tag Mystery

Leo996

Hi. I found this metal tag in my backyard. I cleaned it the best I could and I saw some engraved letters. I think it says:
G Y P S
Z
R O W

Does anyone know what this means? I did some research but did not find anything.
pics 2.jpg

pics 1.jpg

What do the ends look like? Is it just a rectangle?

My guess is that it was a local band name with a "rock band" spelling of Gypsies as Gypsz. Maybe an equipment tag or perhaps somebody just messing around dreaming of their band making the big time.

Are you in the United States? Row in England means "to argue."

What do the ends look like? Is it just a rectangle?

My guess is that it was a local band name with a "rock band" spelling of Gypsies as Gypsz. Maybe an equipment tag or perhaps somebody just messing around dreaming of their band making the big time.

Are you in the United States? Row in England means "to argue."

Yeah, a band name could be the meaning. It looks like a rectangle but one long side has been a bit degraded. This was found in Savannah GA by the way.
I'm actually starting to think it's an ID of some sort, like a bar code or something.

My first hunch is that it could be a tin or lead alloy tag from like an old burlap bag, crate or barrel of gypsum, which is used for fertilizer, making plaster, whitewash, tofu, all sorts of stuff. Yeah, that's it! It's from a Colonial Era Sushi Bar!

"ROW" just might be the remaining visible portion of part of a brand name with "GROW" in it, while that outlying "Z" could be some grade or size of grind or milling, perhaps? I just don't know enough about gypsum. But, I mean, who really does? The stuff's a mystery wrapped in an enigma, isn't it?

Tun_Tavern_in_the_Revolutionary_War.jpg

"Why, Mr. Willis! How fare you, Sir?"
"Well, sir, truly. And you?"
"Fine. Fine. Join me inside for a California Roll and an Ichiban Ale?"
"Splendid idea, old chap!" Splendid!"

Last edited:
Maybe, I found another metal tag that actually looked exactly the same except it had "A T T A Ɔ K" engraved on it. :?:

I'm changing my guess to "invading alien spaceship shot down and covered up by the government."

ROW is a pretty popular term used for "Right of Way" in which a city, municipality, town, agency, and on and on marks their territory. It's likely an I.D. tag for something (like a telephone pole) with a code on it for registering in their system. As a side note, our entire county in central Illinois is riddled with concrete posts that stick up about a foot above the ground that go deep in the ground (several feet of rebar) along the streets that say R.O.W. It's the "line" where your front yard becomes the city's responsibility (i.e. grading the ditch). Do you think I could turn in a mowing bill for the past 30 years since they will never come out and do that? Hmm...

Since the Z is offset to be in the middle of the 2 , I'd say it's a play on the phrase "Gypsy rose" Gypsz rowz? Just a guess.....

Back
Top Bottom