Pedestal seal matrix updated.(England)

Doug

Elite Member
Mid November last year I picked up a seal from off the surface partially buried.

I was able to have a quick ID from photographs submitted to the FLO (Finds Liaison Officer).

I arranged to hand the seal in to the FLO to have it voluntary recorded on the PAS (Portable Antiquities Scheme) data base, link attached for the full report.

This is an interesting observation?.

"There is a mark in the form of an incised salture near the lower edge of the handle to indicate the orientation of the matrix face."

Thanks for looking.......Doug.

khhGZQq.jpg

Top left photograph in the 5 O'clock position salture. (cross)

QXb1CQP.jpg

Link to report:-

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/933977

Thanks Doug!
It's not every day we get to see an intact 700+ year old artefact;)

Thank you.

Great historical find Doug!

Many thanks Ron.

Good reading the official report of the description.

Great find which is now recorded for all to know about.

Thank you.

The record of the seal on the data-base helps to build up a picture of the people who lived in the area.

The surname Dubois can be found both here in the UK, USA and Canada.

Several entries for the family name of Dubois in the 17th Century for New York.

I am amazed that the seal is in such great condition. Was this found in a pasture or around an old home? Being it was partially on the surface it is a real wonder it was not damaged by some piece of equipment.

Great find and nice write up in the historical record.

Ray

I am amazed that the seal is in such great condition. Was this found in a pasture or around an old home? Being it was partially on the surface it is a real wonder it was not damaged by some piece of equipment.

Great find and nice write up in the historical record.

Ray

Thank you for the further views and comments.

Seal was found in a field that had maize removed last November, field ploughed prior to the maize being planted.

Next to the 15th century farm which the field belongs too there is the village church.

"Twelfth-century church, with two exceptional honey-coloured Norman arcades in the nave with delicately carved capitals.

The splendid fifteenth-century tower is adorned with dramatic gargoyles and there is a complete ring of four fifteenth-century bells from the Exeter Foundry."

Back
Top Bottom