Advice & recommendations requested for new detector

I will also say this I would check with a forum sponsor that deals in metal detectors on this site and see if they could give you a deal on what you are looking for.

if there are forum sponsors here that sell detectors,

but if not and I do not know if it would be appropriate or not pm me and I can give you a name of a person in Idaho to contact but I would first check with some sponsors here I am sure someone will let me know if it would be appropriate or not

upper right hand corner of the web pages on the forum has a link "List all sponsors". Click on that and you can see all the different sponsors. I personally like Bart from Big Boys Hobbies...he's been good to me in the past.

In addition to all of the help posted,you will be very surprised at the depths that you will dig targets with today’s machines. Ground mineral handling has come a LONG way(apparently,I didn’t detect back in the day) according to most,and is the reason WHY we are able to pull out 10” silver quarters from places that were hunted vigorously 36 years ago. Very old coins have had a lot of time to get covered,sink,get moved around by machinery,etc and finding them can be a challenge. But today’s machines are capable of getting there in some cases,so bring a stout digging tool!
It’s great that you’re coming back to it. If you want,lightweight,waterproof,nugget hunting,coin hunting,depth...the 800 would get my vote from all of what I’ve seen and read. However,one must make their own choices, so good luck and welcome back to the hobby!

Well, I think I'm definitely leaning toward the Nox 800. I wasn't originally thinking of spending that much, but with a 15% discount it helps a lot. This detector appears to be the best all around detector available. Just hope there's not too large of a learning curve.

Lamar

One thing I am concerned with the Nox 800, or any detector for that matter. I know being able to hear the different tones is critical, so my concern is I've lost a lot of my high frequency hearing. Can the tones be set to lower frequencies which would probably be easier for me to differenciate the different tones. I'm sure with headphones it will help me a lot.

Lamar

One thing I am concerned with the Nox 800, or any detector for that matter. I know being able to hear the different tones is critical, so my concern is I've lost a lot of my high frequency hearing. Can the tones be set to lower frequencies which would probably be easier for me to differenciate the different tones. I'm sure with headphones it will help me a lot.

Lamar

I do not know what the NOX 800 sounds like but if they are anything like the X TERRA 705 to me it always sounded like flutes especially when you had it set for 99 tones which that setting always drove me nuts to me it was way to much info overload so I always run mine in two or four tone mode I have severe tendinitis in both ears and have one to three different sounds going on in both ears at all times and have had for years now but I have never had an issue of not being able to distinguish the tones on the 705 and yes the headphones help considerably hope this helps

NOX800.....best "all purpose" MD on the market.

One feature that I feel is very applicable to you - it finds very very small targets.

If it's out of your price range then please save / get a second job.....it's a bigger hit to the wallet buying a replacement machine...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I finally got my Federal income tax done, and my refund is just enough to buy the Nox 800 which should be on its way in a couple weeks.
In the mean time, I've dusted off my old Garrett ADS III metal detector and have been rereading the owners manual and checking it out. It appears to work just as well as when I bought it 36 years ago. After so many years of not using it, I have to relearn everything about it.
I've been air testing it with coins, pull tabs, bottle caps, nails, gold ring and small pieces of lead. I don't have any gold nuggets to test with, and I was wondering if lead will be similar to gold for the detector to pick up. I am able to get a ping from a 4 grain piece of lead listening carefully, and a good solid ping from a 7 grain piece about 1 inch from the coil. Would I expect the same from gold of these sizes?

Lamar

Lots of good machines out there,I wouldn’t list any as (the best) at everything,that machine don’t exist.Equinox has great seperation and depth but lacks in other areas you might want.
At pro has good depth and seperation,not as good as the equinox but it does have better visual ID and better coil selection than the equinox.
F75 has great seperation and good depth,and has a Backlight which
the at pro don’t,better visual ID than the nox,And much bigger numbered readout than the at pro for poor eyesight.F75 has the best ergonomics going out of the 3 machines for sure.
Etrac is the better coin machine than the 3 listed above,if coin shooting is your thing I’d bypass the 3 above machines and go straight to the etrac.It is the deepest and has the best accurate discrimination of the 3 listed above.
Deus is the lightest and the best relic machine on the block,if relics are your thing and superior seperation.Also the deus has the best ergonomics of the four machines listed above.
I could go on,there is no best machine,just some that are better for what features we need for what and where we hunt.Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t blow $900 on a majic wand that you may dig a couple mercury dimes with, get bored, and stick it in the closet.

I like Minelab, but a buddy that swings one also really likes his AT Pro.
You should be able to pick up a used one for $400-500, be it Garrett or ML.

To be honest, I love those old Garrett machines. The only drawback I ever had was they are (like all other detectors of the time) a little awkward to hold and the balance was not a consideration. You do get a bit tired swinging those detectors. My Garrett Groundhog was very similar in configuration, and I have yet had a detector since that could match it in depth. The only one that came close was a Tesoro Tejon and that was a bear to learn. Good luck with the new machine, but don't discount the old Garrett!

Based on the fact that you want to coin shoot ,and nugget hunt , add waterproof with the tone adjustment for hearing and the latest proven technology I would buy an EQUINOX 800 . Comes wireless with headphones out of the box .
Wait and save up the extra money .
Having the abuility to run a frequency for small gold at major depth and small silver at major depth in the same machine is key . A rig that hits a 10 inch silver dime at one frequency and runs another frequency designed for deep gold nuggets is incredible.

It would be like buying a smooth Bore 12 gauge shotgun that could hunt birds in the morning and take down an elk at 300 yards when you put slugs in it.

It's like buying a new pitching wedge but it also drives the ball off the Tbox dead center 300 yards . 😳 I'm not kidding . To have arguably the best deep silver technology and the nugget technology of Minelab combined with there discrimination reputation is crazy. Add to that. 15 inch coil available fore even more depth and coverage?
I'm sory but all others need to step up or it's going to be a slow year for sales .
Just the truth .

My son runs one and I have 4 other good buddies who have them . 3 of them also have 3000 dollar CTX3030 set ups and grab the 800 all the time now . These guys are on here frequently and very well known for there experience and abuility.

All of the machines that have been mentioneabove are proven killers and will be a blast . Just my two cents based on my experience and what I have seen with my own eyes .
Contact our site sponsors . Get a price quote . It's worth your time .
Guys like Jerry (Jerrman) at antiques Detectors are a must contact.
The sponsors and dealers on this site turn into good buddies and friends as you hang around a wile . We are talking major savings not nickels and dimes .
Reach out to them . They hook us up like we are some kind of Pro staff . There are very few brick and mortar stores left . Dealers who take trades or go out of there way if you have problems they are alway here if you want to make changes .
Last selling point ... even though I have no interest in your choice , I'm not benifiting and have no ixia why I'm pushing the Minelab other then logic and experience here is the close .
If you do your homework on eBay or the used market . You will find that even if you do not like it or use it enough and want to sell or make a change in guessing it will only cost you 100 to maybe 150.00 at most and it's sold overnight .
Compare that with the rest of your models not much of anything in the world that you can buy and sell with that little out of pocket . By the time you sell you will have found more then that in pocket change 😎
Minelab please make future checks out to Dewsweeper or I will call Garrett and cut a deal next month. Something about the new AT-Paladium 🤔 At 1500.00 an ounce who needs silver and gold .
Thank you Again

And welcome back to the hobbie .
,Dew

Last edited:
Based on the fact that you want to coin shoot ,and nugget hunt , add waterproof with the tone adjustment for hearing and the latest proven technology I would buy an EQUINOX 800 . Comes wireless with headphones out of the box .
Wait and save up the extra money .
Having the abuility to run a frequency for small gold at major depth and small silver at major depth in the same machine is key . A rig that hits a 10 inch silver dime at one frequency and runs another frequency designed for deep gold nuggets is incredible.

It would be like buying a smooth Bore 12 gauge shotgun that could hunt birds in the morning and take down an elk at 300 yards when you put slugs in it.

It's like buying a new pitching wedge but it also drives the ball off the Tbox dead center 300 yards . 😳 I'm not kidding . To have arguably the best deep silver technology and the nugget technology of Minelab combined with there discrimination reputation is crazy. Add to that. 15 inch coil available fore even more depth and coverage?
I'm sory but all others need to step up or it's going to be a slow year for sales .
Just the truth .

My son runs one and I have 4 other good buddies who have them . 3 of them also have 3000 dollar CTX3030 set ups and grab the 800 all the time now . These guys are on here frequently and very well known for there experience and abuility.

All of the machines that have been mentioneabove are proven killers and will be a blast . Just my two cents based on my experience and what I have seen with my own eyes .
Contact our site sponsors . Get a price quote . It's worth your time .
Guys like Jerry (Jerrman) at antiques Detectors are a must contact.
The sponsors and dealers on this site turn into good buddies and friends as you hang around a wile . We are talking major savings not nickels and dimes .
Reach out to them . They hook us up like we are some kind of Pro staff . There are very few brick and mortar stores left . Dealers who take trades or go out of there way if you have problems they are alway here if you want to make changes .
Last selling point ... even though I have no interest in your choice , I'm not benifiting and have no ixia why I'm pushing the Minelab other then logic and experience here is the close .
If you do your homework on eBay or the used market . You will find that even if you do not like it or use it enough and want to sell or make a change in guessing it will only cost you 100 to maybe 150.00 at most and it's sold overnight .
Compare that with the rest of your models not much of anything in the world that you can buy and sell with that little out of pocket . By the time you sell you will have found more then that in pocket change 😎
Minelab please make future checks out to Dewsweeper or I will call Garrett and cut a deal next month. Something about the new AT-Paladium 🤔 At 1500.00 an ounce who needs silver and gold .
Thank you Again

And welcome back to the hobbie .
,Dew

What Dew said !!!

What Dew said !!!

Look 👀 there's Jerr now!!!!!
Get him cornered ! If you can talk fishing it's probubly worth another 50 bucks off . 😎 Just a tip. Oh and cross dressers that enter beauty pageants on weekends . You didn't hear that from me though .
Come to think of it 🤔
All the sponsors are cool with all the weird new stuff people are into these days.
Yup , No hangups around here at all👍

I wish more would pop in with new members but maybe there is a rule against it .
Either way .. hunt them down . Just send them a message it's easy.

I'm in the market to purchase a new metal detector. First some background on what I have now and what my interests are.

The detector I have now is the only one I have ever had. It's a Garrett ADS III VLF/TR discriminator that I purchased about 36 years ago. I think it was fairly state of the art at that time, but I'm sure they've gotten much better since then. This detector is still in good working order as far as I can tell. It hasn't had much use in thirty years. I was working raising a family without a lot of time to spend on my own metal detecting back then.

I am interested in a detector for coin/relic hunting, but also one that could be used for gold nugget prospecting. Where I live now in Oregon, I just happen to be in walking distance of a mostly dry creek bed on BLM property that was mined many years ago and much gold had been found.

I have been doing some researching on some mid level detectors that sounded like they could be what I'm looking for and would appreciate input.

Fisher F70 with 5" and 11" coils and bonus pack for $499.95
Fisher F75 Special Limited Edition w/ 5" & 11" coils and bonus pack for $699
Teknetics T2 Special Limited Edition w/ 5" & 11" coils and bonus pack for $599

How do these detectors compare in ability in what I have now and do you think they may fit my needs.

Thanks for any help
Lamar

my pick would be the tek 2 ltd se with bonus pack.
it gives you the 5" dd coil which,in my view,is must have with the t2.
also,it ' a really good deal with the bonus pack because it gives you "working accessories" for no additional money! Liam contemplating same myself.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I have profound hearing loss. Upper frequencies do not exist. At least in what I can hear. I use a discontinued minelab machine and I can hear the high tones that it puts out. Of course I can hear them better when wearing my hearing aids. Don't forget that the NOX also has a digital display that will help in determining to dig or not to dig.

Wow, thanks for all the replies back and recommendations. I am set on purchasing the Nox 800. I'll be ordering in a couple weeks. Did anyone pick up my question on wanting to know if lead and gold produce about the same with a detector? I would like to know if I can practice detecting with various sizes of lead to help in looking for gold.

Lamar

Back
Top Bottom