What's good under $300?

I have a Teknetics Omega with the latest version 6 for sale. It's in excellent condition and works great. I really like this detector a lot, but I have way too many detectors right now. I need to thin the herd some. Give me PM if you're interested. Just take look at my signature line.

beephead

Hi,
If you want to buy a new (with good warranty) detector the Teknetics Eurotek Pro/Minuteman, the Teknetics Liberator/Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro or a Minelab X-Terra 505 would be great choices.

I don't know the Teknetics Delta very well. I know from experience that the Eurotek Pro/Minuteman is one of the best detectors out there for dependable, simple operation. Even though it has preset ground balance, it will be okay for your area especially with a DD coil.

I know the other two well and they have just about every feature you could want. The X-Terra 505 is a very well made and highly recommended detector (though a little heavy) and you might want to get a DD coil eventually.

The Liberator/Land Ranger Pro is a very lightweight, full featured detector. It has had a history of excellent recommendations except for a poorly designed pinpoint button assembly. Otherwise, it has settings and adjustments (so does the X-Terra 505) that rival many of the $500 and up detectors.

If you have relatively mild soil and not too much EMI the Delta (it has preset ground balance) could be okay and so could a Fisher F22. I can't recommend any of the Whites around $300 detectors unfortunately and I've never used any of the Garrett Ace series. I have used the new Quest Q20 and Q40. They are pretty amazing and have very modern features (especially the Q40) Some dealers are selling the Q40 at around $300.

jmaryt

I like rigs that run off of AA's..Mid priced rigs...something that holds at least a 50% resale value........then, a guy just gets out and does their very best to make it PAY as fast as possible! Learn to use a screwdriver for Clad stabbing...You probably need the Headphones, but you dont need the Pinpointer...

Set some goals and try to pull over 90 CPH as fast and cheap as possible...Dont over think this...Its a lot easier and faster to pull 4 fresh dropped Q's from a totter than a Merc dime off old dirt permission...so you pull the easy Q's and then go buy a Merc dime if you wish...Its an alternate strategy

Busting clad teaches a guy all sorts of important lessons about how Humans interact with structure and topography, as well as a guy learns the language of the rig in a great big hurry!

...In this Sport, it aint so much the Bow as it is the Indian...You need to learn how to 'see' the drop zones, and the dirt teaches this to attentive students...

Read a lot of posts, try to figure out what style of hunting fits your personality/AO..then get a Bow you are instinctive with, and get outdoors and kill some bunnies!...

Going in wanting to hunt Old Homesites as a complete noob would be very frustrating and unproductive.....you gotta get some hours behind the coil so you grasp the concept of the dealio......

beware the man who hunts with "one bow" for he knows that bow ,and the "quarry" trembles at his approach!.an outstanding instrument is the "sleeper"
tesoro mojave!..LEARN it's subtle "audio nuances" and reap the rewards!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I picked up an Old Tesoro Mayan for under a hundred at a pawn shop. It seems to work as well as my other backup the Tesoro Cutlass 2 Umax. They both seem to have about 6-8 inches depth and good discriminate. The Mayan is a more stable machine with less of those pesky chirps when you bump into things.

I'd find me a decent used rig that maybe cost a lot more when new but is now a few years old.

-EDIT- I meant to say I'm currently letting my 8 and 9 year old boys use these two particular detectors. They hold up..

Back
Top Bottom