Older Radio Shack Model

volfan

I recently borrowed an older Radio Shack model detector from my dad to see if a metal detector would do what I needed it for. I target practice in my back yard quite a bit and I like to pick up as many spent ammo casings as I can find. I thought a metal detector would be a good way to find the ones hidden in the grass. I use steel and brass cased ammo. The detector I borrowed does not seem to detect the casings. Actually, it seems to detect only certain metal pieces. There are two adjustment knobs, one labeled discriminator and one for volume. There is a switch for meter/battery test. These are the only 3 controls on the detector. Is it possible this is a model that won't detect the ammo casings, or am I doing something wrong? Are there any inexpensive detectors that would serve my purpose?

There is a fourth control I overlooked. It is a button on the top of the handle. Since it is red it is possible it might be important.

Would you be able to post some pics of the machine? If not try turning the machine on turn the disc all the way to the left and that should put you into all metal mode. The red button on the handle may be a pinpoint but can't be sure with out a pic.

thats funny, me and my neighbor were talking about metal detectors this morning and he said he has an old Radio Shack in the houselol

thats funny, me and my neighbor were talking about metal detectors this morning and he said he has an old Radio Shack in the houselol

lol, i've got one here too, an old Micronta 3001. and it actually still works! it ain't no Ace 250, but it'll find the broad side of a metal barn.... if you're close enough, haha! :laughing:

Here's a picture. I can't find a model or identification number anywhere on the unit, not even in the batttery compartment.

Attachments

• 100_3332.jpg
    100_3332.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,663
After reading through the instructions (thanks again 007) I got the unit working and collected some empty casings this afternoon. However, the metal detector that detected the most casings was the one that operates on candy, my 4 year old granddaughter. Young eyes sure are sharp.Thanks to everybody for getting me started in the right direction.

After reading through the instructions (thanks again 007) I got the unit working and collected some empty casings this afternoon. However, the metal detector that detected the most casings was the one that operates on candy, my 4 year old granddaughter. Young eyes sure are sharp.Thanks to everybody for getting me started in the right direction.

hey, no problem at all. thank Mr. Google, not me, haha!

and that's cute.... you had your "digger" with you, lol. get her to skip the brass and go for the GOLD! ;) :D

but glad to hear you've got that machine working.
and hey, who knows... this could easily be the start of another great hobby for you! but i would recommend getting a slightly better machine if you're going to be going for coins, relics, etc. :yes:

take care,

Pete

Back
Top Bottom